WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Final Thru Hike qGear List

Ok so over the past few months I have shifted back and fourth, from one piece of gear to another I finally have my gear setup COMPLETE! The following is what I plan to carry with me. Would love some feedback! Thanks in advance

Pack - ULA Ohm 2.0
    Pack Cover - ULA Ohm Packcover + Pack Liner ( I like the stuff on the inside and outside to stay dry to me its worth the extra 5oz to have both)
    Shelter - Zpacks Hexamid Solo+ Tarp w/ 8 easton UL Tent Pegs and Stuff Sack
    Sleeping Bag - Zpacks 20Degree Hoodless Bag
    Sleeping Pad - Therm-a-rest Z-lite Torso (use my pack under my legs with a small piece of mylar for extra warmth)
    Ground Sheet - Polycryo Sheet
    Pillow - Exped UL Pillow Large (gotta have a pillow or i just dont sleep!)

-Cook Set -
    Evernew Ti 900 Pot w/ Lid
    Cat Can Stove
    Aluminum Windscreen
    Ti Folding Spork
    1cup Rei Cup
    Micro Fiber Pot Cleaning Rag
    Small Bic Lighter and Small book of matches for backup
    Stuff Sack

-Hydration -
    2x 1liter Platy with 1 hose attachment
    1x 2liter Platy (for backup water along those dry stretches)
    Sawyer Squeeze Filter w/ Syringe for Flushing
    A few Aqua Mira tablets for backup

-First Aid -
    Equinox Waterproof zipper bag ( it only weighs 1.5oz and its so nice to places to put everything
    I carry several meds, bandages, small repair kits, duct tape, so on and so fourth
    In my packs side pockets I carry bug spray, sunscreen, chapstick, Dr. Broners, Hand Sanitizer

Headlamp - Black Diamond Spot

-Extra Goodies -
    Iphone 5 (will use this with a backup battery for photos)
    Photo ID
    Credit Card
    Insurance Card
    Headphones
    Stick Pic w/ IPhone mount
    Some Cash
    Small Swiss Army Knife
    Whistle

Trekking Poles - Black Diamond Cork Ergo Grip

-Clothing Worn -
    REI Sahara LS Shirt
    Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
    Darn Tough Ankle Socks x2
    Ball Cap
    Sunglasses
    Dirty Girl Gaiters

-Clothing Packed -
    Balaclava
    Wool Gloves
    Dri Ducks Rain Gear / Tops and Bottoms
    Poly Base Layers
    Sleeping Undies
    Uniqlo Ultralight Down Coat

I feel like im forgetting something lol but maybe not. My base weight is pretty minimal and I am very comfortable with my setup as I have used it out a few times. My planned leave date is July 19th due to some engagements I cannot miss. I would love some feedback and hope to see some of you out there!!!!

Depends on where you start, but I would pack more serious bug protection. A net for nights when your bag is too hot, especially early evening. Doesn't have to be sewn up, a simple flat piece can be used just to cover exposed parts or put over your face. A cotton tee or a fancy one if you like will be nice when long sleeves are uncomfortable. I would go with just shorts if I could use my rain pants as needed. I would change my down jacket for a fleece top that dries better in damp humid conditions. That said, clothing is system that works together so changing one thing might affect other things. Have a great hike.

I did forget to add i have a bug head net that I will more than likely wear when i sleep if the bugs are bad did that back in the fall down in louisiana when i went to visit my family and it worked well. I tried the just shorts stint but i like having the ability to have pants if needs be. I have vitiligo on my arms and parts of my legs as well so just having sunscreen is not ideal which is why i try and wear long pants and shirts as well.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The only two items that stick out for me:

• Do you have a shell for the wool gloves? The wool gloves are great when it is cool to cold weather AND dry. As soon as moisture hits, I find I need the shell.
    • I know you are adamant about the pack liner AND the pack cover, but this sounds like a "belt and suspenders" kind of deal. A heavy trash compactor bag is all I ever needed personally

The rest are more just based on hiking style and/or observations:

• Why the cup AND the bowl?
    • Waterproof zipper bag...what about a zipper freezer bag instead?
    • DriDucks bottoms - you are on trail so it should be OK, but found the bottoms are more problematic than the top YMMV.

Looks good overall, though. The pack cover/liner is just extra IMO..but take it if it works for you.

The shell mitts are the only items I'd strongly consider purchasing before the trip. Seriously.
    These mitts are more versatile for overall outdoor use. This pair or similar is better for straight up backpacking. Both pairs are roughly the same price.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Forgot to add the mitts as well i have a pair of DIY Cuben Rain mitts! Also just broke down and bought a good set of light weight rain gear from GOLITE. I have been eyeing them for a while but was just a cheapo so would break. Got a go-lite gift card decided to use it on a good rain set. The reason i went with a cup along with my cook pot is so i can have an alternate beverage at dinner while eating out of my pot. It only weighs in at .8oz and takes up no extra room when stored in my cook pot figured itd be a little extra goodie i could afford. As for the liner and pack cover i guess your right it is a bit over kill i may ditch one or the other more than likely the cover! Thanks guys!

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

Compass and maps?

Looks like a good list with some nice (and light) equipment!

I will be carrying a compass as well as the databook and i will be placing maps in my drop box for the sections i am too encounter!

Images

Cat Can alchy stove may be problematic if there are fire bans. Looks like a low snow year again this year.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++