WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amicalola or Springer

Should I start from Amicalola Falls or Springer? What is the traditional starting point? For some reason I feel like it's important to start from Amicalola, but one person told me it is pointless to start there. Will I just be adding and extra day and starting with a hard uphill hike for no reason? I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there. Am I being foolish?

Your decision.....nice to start from Amicalola, Sign-in, weigh your pack and get the obligatory picture under the arch. There are NUMEROUS posts regarding this question...use the SEARCH function.

Are you doing a thru-hike this year ?

Images

Hike Your Own Hike! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

It's Pointless!! lol walking the whole trail is pointless. Don't live to regret the things you didn't do.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I dont think its foolish at all. If youve never been by, Amicalola falls are beautiful and definetely worth seeing IMO. Heres sort of A different angle for you maybe though. You will be adding a day to a day and a half (depending on how fit your feeling) to your first stint out, with the additional food weight to go with it. As long as thats not discouraging for you then start at Amicalola. If you feel more delicate in the psycological arena then do everything you can to bolster that. Which might include a shorter duration , lighter pack , and being nearer to neels gap -warm bunk-hot food- heat-good company-expert gear chuckers.

Most importantly.....do what YOU want with your time out! These things only come around every so often, at least for most of us. Have a GREAT trip!!!

Images

amicalola falls is a must start.....

préférence personnelle.. there is no right or wrong.. It's a nice hike, what else is there to say?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by rhob100 View Post
    Should I start from Amicalola Falls or Springer? What is the traditional starting point? For some reason I feel like it's important to start from Amicalola, but one person told me it is pointless to start there. Will I just be adding and extra day and starting with a hard uphill hike for no reason? I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there. Am I being foolish?
    start at FS 42 parking lot at the base of Springer.

The falls are worth seeing. It is a lot easier to get to Amicalola too. Now as far as hiking up the falls with a probably overly full pack and no trail legs, well that is stupid. Get your picture behind the visitor center. Go see the falls, there is a path midway up that is practically flat from a little parking area. Then have someone drive you up to the lodge and skip the nonsense.

Journal Entries
    Images

It is not part of the AT. My take has always been that since you have someone dropping you off somewhere, why not have them drop you off at the FS42 trailhead? Then they could walk up Springer with you, take your picture at the plaque, walk back down to the trailhead and then watch you walk away through the woods. If they have never been to a shelter, you can take them by Springer Mountain Shelter and let them see what you will be frequenting for the next several months.

If they are uncomfortable with a 6.5 mile trip on a dirt road then do the Approach Trail. Either way, it really doesn't matter in the long run (walk) . . .

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

PS. (when I am at Springer trailhead, I never hear anyone comment about how spectacular the falls is . . . but I do hear many hikers 'moaning' about the hike up . . . and there are even some that didn't realize that they could have skipped it . . . . )

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It's just another trail that's not the AT. You'll pass dozens (hundreds?) on the way to Maine - are you going to hike those too?

I'd skip it. Actually, I did skip it.

I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there.
    I think you have your answer.

Thanks for all the replies. I am attempting a thru hike and I will be starting from the falls.

You should start at FS 42 parking lot and quit at Monson.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You should start at FS 42 parking lot and quit at Monson.

It's be more rewarding to quit at the Birches in BSP within sight of katahdin.... :$

Thanks for all the replies. I am attempting a thru hike and I will be starting from the falls.
    When you go up and over Frosty Mountain on the approach trail shoot it the middle finger for me!

Images

Non-issue in the scheme of things.

I hiked the approach trail because it was easier to get to it. I enjoyed the trail just fine, and met some new friends the first night in the shelter.

Do whatever is most convenient.

Images

I've done it both ways. Our first big section started at the Falls, then my hiking partner and I ended a sobo GA hike at the falls. My other GA nobo section started at the top of Springer at the FS42 lot.

There is something to be said for arriving at the top of Springer on foot. Following the blue blazes until you see the first white blaze is pretty cool.

But yeah, you're adding a day and a steady climb to your hike. On the other hand, you'll have to walk a LOT of miles that "aren't the A.T." on a thru-hike.

I'd start from the bottom. It's pretty cool.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I started at Amicalola and was happy I did. Felt "right" to me. Still does. HYOH.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think you have your answer.
    That purist attitude would have one hikin to amicalola from home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++