WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Places for hikers to get rid of trash

Why don't the trail clubs make a better effort at providing a places for hikers to get rid of trash? There are places where you have to carry it for too many days right now. If the trail clubs would put out and maintain a trash container at a few road crossings along the way it would make the trail cleaner. If they could place it back a ways so that people don't use it to clean their cars it would only need minimum dumping. Of course it would be nowhere near a shelter. The current non system of hauling it to the next town sometimes involves a weeks worth of trash. I have met long haul hikers who's system was to carry it for 3 days and if they did not come across a proper disposal place they would toss it into the fire. Even if it just one place every seventy five miles, it would help.

if you choose to hike long distance then you carry your trash and dump it in a town. pretty simple

Images

I am a believer of what you say but from my experience the trash container in even remote area normally turn to a trash disposal place of the neighborhood sooner or later. I carry my trash as long as necessary to the next spot but I really hate doing it and like you believe there should be some solutions to it.

I have no problem carrying trash and think on the AT, there are plenty of trash recepticals. 3 days of carrying it? Thats it? I have forgotten to empty food bag trash bags older than that. Im still of the opinion that throwing anything into a fire ring not a good thing. Just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Why don't the trail clubs make a better effort at providing a places for hikers to get rid of trash? There are places where you have to carry it for too many days right now. If the trail clubs would put out and maintain a trash container at a few road crossings along the way it would make the trail cleaner. If they could place it back a ways so that people don't use it to clean their cars it would only need minimum dumping. Of course it would be nowhere near a shelter. The current non system of hauling it to the next town sometimes involves a weeks worth of trash. I have met long haul hikers who's system was to carry it for 3 days and if they did not come across a proper disposal place they would toss it into the fire. Even if it just one place every seventy five miles, it would help.

Images

Umm yeah, I dont see this as an issue. The hiker that brings the packaging in, should hike the trash out to a suitable point of disposal. Asking for a maintaining club to set up trash disposal along the trail or at trail heads is just asking for trouble and a mess.

The best solution is that hikers should manage their packaging and trash more effectively.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you choose to hike long distance then you carry your trash and dump it in a town. pretty simple
    "Practically" the trails are getting trashier and trashier every year that means that the current law ( which is not a bad one) is not 100% practiced these days ( OP saw it by himself). So although this current law is doable and moral but hikers has started to get rid of their trash after certain days and before the next town. You are realistic Lone Wolf, I am pragmatic , that is our difference I guess.

If you can carry 10-15 pounds of food you should be able to carry 1-2 pounds of trash.

Most towns are less than 75 miles apart, so there goes the trash barrel in the woods for lame hikers that expect volunteers to carry it away solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    "Practically" the trails are getting trashier and trashier every year that means that the current law ( which is not a bad one) is not 100% practiced these days ( OP saw it by himself). So although this current law is doable and moral but hikers has started to get rid of their trash after certain days and before the next town. You are realistic Lone Wolf, I am pragmatic , that is our difference I guess.
    Having more trash cans does not mean hikers will use them, they will continue to burn it and stuff it down privies or throw it in the woods or leave it on the side of the trail, bury it, whatever. If you cannot carry in and carry out, then stay home. Its not a trash issue, its a people issue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Having more trash cans does not mean hikers will use them, they will continue to burn it and stuff it down privies or throw it in the woods or leave it on the side of the trail, bury it, whatever. If you cannot carry in and carry out, then stay home. Its not a trash issue, its a people issue.
    Yes , Isn't it still an issue?

Images

I am not saying the trash container is the solution but there is some.

I love burning trash... I think it comes from growing up in NH, where all the dump sites were on fire all the time. I'm not saying that's a good solution but it's what I grew up seeing. I like to burn my paper trash in the camp fire, the rest of it I pack out. I don't really mind....
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 03-25-2013 at 09:43.

Hikers that are going to pack it out are going to do so regardless of whether there are trash containers every 3 days or they have to carry it to the next town. Those that don't pack it out aren't going to just because there is a trash can every three days. I agree it would be more convenient for those that do pack it out, but I doubt it would do much to help with trash on the trail. Case and point is Springer to Woody Gap where there are trash cans. Yet there is plenty of trash all over in that section at campsites, shelters, and on the trail itself during the thru hike season. Some thru hikers are either poorly educated on pack it in - pack it out or simply just feel entitled to leave trash behind. After all, the maid will come by soon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Hikers that are going to pack it out are going to do so regardless of whether there are trash containers every 3 days or they have to carry it to the next town. Those that don't pack it out aren't going to just because there is a trash can every three days. I agree it would be more convenient for those that do pack it out, but I doubt it would do much to help with trash on the trail. Case and point is Springer to Woody Gap where there are trash cans. Yet there is plenty of trash all over in that section at campsites, shelters, and on the trail itself during the thru hike season. Some thru hikers are either poorly educated on pack it in - pack it out or simply just feel entitled to leave trash behind. After all, the maid will come by soon.
    Very clever input and observation FatMan.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Some thru hikers are either poorly educated on pack it in - pack it out or simply just feel entitled to leave trash behind. After all, the maid will come by soon.
    Without labeling any specific group, wouldn't it be safer to say "some hikers at the start of the trail..... ?

Images

My favorite is the trash can that is partially full with trash all around it. I guess each trail club is going to have to designate a personal trash person for each hiker so the hiker is not inconvenienced by having to carry some trash. Not it!

You carry your trash out. A large gallon zip-loc works. The quart sized zip-loc the food came in works. A spare zip-loc if the first one leaks works. Laziness doesn't work.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Without labeling any specific group, wouldn't it be safer to say "some hikers at the start of the trail..... ?
    Not only it is safer to say but It is closer to the reality.

Images

If you have too much trash, then you need to work on repackaging your supplies before you get back on the trail.

In any case, I don't see this as a problem, not even on the PCT where the towns are further apart.

Images

Non-issue for me. Would it be nice? yeah. Would I take advantage if they were there? yeah. However, simple trash cans would attract critters of all types and they would pull it apart and make a mess. Critter-proof containers are expensive. Money better spent in other areas.

this is the year of snivelin' and whinin' about every little thing. hikers need to toughen up. it ain't that hard out there

I don't believe that most people realize how tough it would be to provide trash receptacles all along the AT. It's not something you can just put along the trail at every road crossing, you got to go check it periodically, all the time, I mean all the time...think about it.

Then you got the issue of locals dumping stuff in there, not just simple trash that hikers produce, then you got the brainless LNT types that think just because there is a trash receptacle every X-miles that they need to dump food waste in there, so now you need a heavy, bulky animal/bear-proof container. Guys just dump the crap in the woods

Most every one hits town every 3-5 days, just pack it out. I typically stay out longer and my trash I pack out is very small, mostly because I plan ahead when I resupply and discard most of the trash at that time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++