Section Hiker

Default Hard time finding hiking shoes (not boots, not runners)

I wonder if any women have advice on hiking shoes. I have a great pair of Merrell Moab waterproof boots I will not be wearing section hiking this summer. I am looking for a hiking shoe that is sturdy yet comfortable, and most of all, fits right and I'm having a tough time. I wear an 11 in Merrells and my feet are bony, narrow heels, very flat and wider across the ball and toes. I have a 15-year-old pair of Timberland hiking shoes ready for the trash, finally--no quality with TBL anymore so nothing to replace them with. Bought and have been wearing around the house a pair or Merrell Moab Ventilators, and they are "okay" but my right heel is slipping. Does anyone know what causes that and if it's fixable with different socks, insoles, etc.? I'm thinking these might be going back and I'm tempted to try to the Merrell Siren (not waterproof). Anyone have experience with those? If you wear a HIKING SHOE, what do you wear and what are the pros/cons? Sadly, in Metro Cols, Ohio there are few places to try on stuff.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Default Hard time finding hiking shoes (not boots, not runners)

I have very (and I do mean very) wide feet at the front end and narrow heels. I tried every woman's hiking boot I could find in stores and ultimately settled for the men's Lowa renegade, which was the only Wide width shoe I could find that fit comfortably. I love them! They are a bit loose in the heel, but I haven't found it to be problem with a good pair of socks. I'm now on my second pair and still happy with them. I don't know if its really necessary but, because I've had problems with foot pain near the balls of my feet, I do replace the insoles with those pricey inserts they sell at REI for backpacking. Between the Lowas and the inserts, my foot pain has all but disappeared for normal day and weekend hiking, and on longer backpacking trips is no worse than all the other aches and pains my aging body feels at the end of the day. BTW, Lowa does make the Renegade in wide width for women, but I didn't know that when I bought my last 2 pairs. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Images

No I'm not a woman, but let me suggest you try on a pair of Keen's low top hikers. Keen's have a much roomer toe box area than any shoes I've tried, great for wide feet.

Section Hiker

Thanks, guys. It's the scrawny ankles that are the real problem. I found the Keen's to be comfortable, but actually too much room in the toe box. Lynn, I will check out the Lowa's, different socks and probably some after market insoles.

"

I wear Merrell Moabs for every day walking - they're a shoe, not a boot. As a runner I found that Brooks Adrenaline, Saucony Eschelon and Asics 2170's in wide size fit me well. I am also wide in front, narrow in back. I have done well with Vasque Velocity for backpacking.

I've recently acquired the Merrell Proterra's (low) and they're pretty good. They are light and flexible but offer a minimum amount of support. I used to wear trail gloves but rocks would hurt. These have a legit sole to them and thus that problem is solved. They are not waterproof at all but they dry very fast.

Default Lacing Patterns

You might also look into a different lacing pattern. I had trouble with some shoes being too loose in the ankle, but a running store was able to help me lace them in a way that pushed my foot back toward the back of the shoe instead of just exerting downward pressure. I think I ended up with something like the first one on this page-- http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm --but there are lots of other patterns at that site that you might want to experiment with. Experimenting with lacing opened up new options for shoes for me.

Images

Like aviator, I wear the merrell protera. I love them & highly recommend you try a pair.

I just got a pair of hiking shoes (not boots - don't like them) after reading a few reviews. They are Keens, Gargoyle. I got them at REI. I was actually going check out a different pair of keens (can't recall the style) but they were too wide and my feet are narrow to average... And the Gargoyles run more narrow than the other. I am usually a 7.5 - 8. But the 8.5 feels great with just a little space for when my foot swells a little. Great toe protection. Nice and sturdy and really comfy particularly the sole. I figure with the comfort, if they wear out, i'll just grab another pair and return to where I left off. I'll use them for AT 45 days starting Georgia. I was recommended against Merrill's because according to sales assistants the quality has gone to s#*t over recent times, and I did have a pair 4 years back that just stank which ain't something I have an issue with. But i see others have been really happy with the brand, so maybe im wrong. Anyway, hope you find a good pair.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Bestic View Post
    I just got a pair of hiking shoes (not boots - don't like them) after reading a few reviews. They are Keens, Gargoyle. I got them at REI. I was actually going check out a different pair of keens (can't recall the style) but they were too wide and my feet are narrow to average... And the Gargoyles run more narrow than the other. I am usually a 7.5 - 8. But the 8.5 feels great with just a little space for when my foot swells a little. Great toe protection. Nice and sturdy and really comfy particularly the sole. I figure with the comfort, if they wear out, i'll just grab another pair and return to where I left off. I'll use them for AT 45 days starting Georgia. I was recommended against Merrill's because according to sales assistants the quality has gone to s#*t over recent times, and I did have a pair 4 years back that just stank which ain't something I have an issue with. But i see others have been really happy with the brand, so maybe im wrong. Anyway, hope you find a good pair.
    I'm looking for those and can't find them, but Keen has a color called Gargoyle. Are you sure of the style? I'd lobe to check them out. Would you mind posting a link to them on REI? Thanks!!!

"

Have you considered going to a Podiatrist and being "fit" for a pair of shoes? Even if you don't buy from them, once you know the size and brand, you can often find them online ... Zappos or elsewhere.

I was able to find that the La Sportiva Wildcat fits me and I haven't yet gone to the Podiatrist ... but I also saw that Prope't sells a shoe that might be a more 'perfect' fit for my wide-wide feet and Zappos has them for under $70.

Coosa

Images

If you like Solomon, zulily has tons of their trail runners on sale for $39-69.

Metro Columbus and you can't find anywhere to try stuff on? Have you tried Cabela's, Dicks, or Everest Gear? If you've been to all of them, there is a store in Nelsonville that a friend of mine finally found her perfect hikers in.

Section Hiker

Hey, WineyJack! I work in Hilliard, howdy neighbor. Thanks for the tip on Everest, did not know they were there. Dick's has about 20 different men's hiking shoes/boots, and maybe 4-5 women's so not much selection there. Have you been to the new Cabela's yet? It's like mini Cabela's, very small. I went expecting them to have a massive shoe dept like Wheeling, but not so. I did pick up a pair of Keen's there last week and am trying those and the Merrell Moab Ventilator's around the house to see if either might do. There are things I like about them both, and things I don't. The Keen's are hard and flat, might pick up some insoles and see if that works.

"

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    Like aviator, I wear the merrell protera. I love them & highly recommend you try a pair.
    Yep, these are my current backpacking shoe. Thumbs up for the Merrell Protera!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

And Orvis has a location in Worthington. Good luck!

I have a pair of Merrells siren that I have made 2 short hikes in totaling about 10 miles. My feet were the only things that didn't hurt. I'm inexperienced so that's why..lol. I too have narrow feet and scrawny ankles. The sirens are the most comfy shoes I own that I can walk in long term.

++ New Posts ++