WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any Problems with Wild Dogs?

Two associates at work said that they had been intimidated by wild dogs on the AT. One was on the trail in Central Maryland and the other was in Virginia.

Has anyone else encountered wild dog incidents along the AT?

What is the recommended means of protecting yourself?

Default sticks

My general rule when I hear a dog bark is to always pick up a big stick...even if the owner says the dog is friendly. It helped me out a couple of times. Better safe than sorry is my thinking, no one wants a thru-hike ended because of a dog-bite in the leg.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

No pronlems with wild dogs, but I think the people that bring their so called pets on the trail should be barred from for ten year's. I don't pick up a big stick, but I do put both of my hiking poles together to make a stronger weapon and if they come at me, as soon as they get close enough, I start pounding with the poles and kicking them in the ribs, they get the mesaage real quick that a way. A little attitude adjustment doe's wanders.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

you just opened a can of worms. i suggest you do a search here on WB about dogs to find out what others think.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I was attacked by two dogs in Tennessee. At the time, I thought of them as 'wild dogs,' but they were probably just farm dogs off on a spree. I picked up a large branch and swung it at 'em, and they retreated.

I usually don't carry a hiking stick, but will sometimes carry whatever's handy (a branch or pole) in dog country.

The secret to wild dog is to first soak them in milk for at least one hour and simmer on low heat for another, add garlic- salt and pepper to taste

Never had a prob with wild dogs. Just Ahole dog owners. Came upon a man-hatin broad with 2 trained-to-hate- men dogs one time at Slaughter gap. They were leashed but wanted to get at me. I was 30 yards away. Told her if one or both got loose and came at me, her pups would die.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jackiebolen
    My general rule when I hear a dog bark is to always pick up a big stick...even if the owner says the dog is friendly. It helped me out a couple of times. Better safe than sorry is my thinking, no one wants a thru-hike ended because of a dog-bite in the leg.
    I had a dog (a pet) comming after me once, with the attitude of "I'm going to eat your leg" the owner assured me from a distance that "the dog dosn't bite" I said: "Not twice & never again!" he rather hurredly & animatedly called the dog back. Makes you wonder don't it, if the dog don't bite, why panic & call it back so strongly.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

So you would not panic?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

In July I will pass 8,000 miles of backpacking and dayhiking, and have never been threatened by a domesticated dog. One time about seven years ago, a pack of about six wild dogs (I say they were wild because no human accompanied them, none had collars, and they travelled as a group) near the Priest Shelter where I was tenting did take a brief interest in MY dog, but I scared them off by yelling and swinging my Leki poles.

I am more concerned about a pack of COYOTES attacking my dog while she sleeps outside my tent. She's about 55 lbs., and probably would intimidate a solo coyote but I'm not sure about a pack. These predators are becoming so common around the Virginia Blue Ridge that some counties have put $50 bounties on them.

Skyline, I hear you on the coyotes. I had a very sketchy run-in with a pack of the biggest coyotes I had ever seen on a little-used trail up in CO last fall. They were very interested in snacking on my dog (who's 60# or so and generally not one to back down, but she was cowed by these animals). I picked up the biggest stick I could find and made a lot of noise. They thankfully took off, but I heard them make a kill not five minutes later (talk about a noise to make the short hairs stand up). The hike out was a bit nerve-wracking.

Never even saw a wild dog. Had a few problems with the "tame" ones.

more chance of wild hogs.
    pete

++ New Posts ++