WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default How do you get from the trail to towns?

I'm starting on May 2nd. Hiawassee, Georgia seems to be a pretty crucial re-supply point during the first 100 miles, but It's 11 miles off of the trail. How should I expect to get to towns like this to resupply? Walk? Hitch? Shuttle?...Crawl?
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”-Bilbo Baggins

hitch or call for a shuttle on your cell. you have a cell, right?

How do you know who to call??

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoMama View Post
    How do you know who to call??
    the various trail guides have that info

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the various trail guides have that info
    Or check the ATC shuttle list.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I have the 2013 northbound guide. I guess I'll call shuttles, but that expense is gonna add up...oh well.How much do they typically cost? and do they usually stop running at a certain time of day/weekends?
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”-Bilbo Baggins

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There is something called the "trail corridor" which basically means that in many (most?) towns close to the AT locals are used to seeing hikers and there are hiker-friendly services available nearby.

If you're worried about the expense of shuttles you can hitch - if you don't want to hitch alone pair up with someone and hitch together. Usually you can get a ride pretty quick - almost always within an hour - though I don't think I've ever waited more than 45 minutes on an AT hitch.

My experience is that hitching is easiest south of Maryland but of course hitchhiking is at least 50% if you're lucky enough to be hitching when someone that will pick you up drives by - luck.

If you hitch or bum a ride, make sure to offer some gas money. No free rides. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If you hitch or bum a ride, make sure to offer some gas money. No free rides. Just my opinion.
    It's nice to make that jesture, but few if any will take money. Mostly they just want to hear a little bit about you and your trip.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This won't help you, but for the benefit of others, Ron Haven runs a free shuttle to hikers staying at his hotel in Hiawassee from Unicoi and Dicks Creek in March and April. Check your Companion for details.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks guys! Alot of great info!

The vast majority of the time I never even get to stick my thumb out...somebody is offering me a ride before I get the chance...many times even when I don't want a ride. I only had to walk into town one time. And that was only 2 miles because I arrived at Fontana Dam before the season really started...the store had only been open for a week.

Its really not that big of an issue. Many hostels will shuttle you...you're going to be paying to take a shower and do your laundry there anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's nice to make that jesture, but few if any will take money. Mostly they just want to hear a little bit about you and your trip.
    True. Like they say, it's the thought that counts.

Images

If you call us at Hiawassee Budget Inn 706-896-4121 we can help you get a ride even if you aren't staying in Hiawassee.

I was 50 years old when I thru'ed in '09, and believe it or not had never hitch-hiked in my life. I was a little apprehensive about it but found it ridiculously easy to do along the trail.

I think Hiawassee was my first hitch. It took eleven minutes; the third car that came by stopped and picked me up.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I hitched 100% of the time into towns. If you can find a girl to do it with that could be the difference between waiting 5 minutes and waiting an hour.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

++ New Posts ++