WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Tarp Tent Moment DW

I was on the Tarptent.com site and saw where Henry Shires now has a Double Wall version of the Moment also has dual entry. Anyone out there had a chance to check one out??
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Looks interesting but a little heavy for a one person. I would get the Notch if purchasing another tent. Currently have a double rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Looks interesting but a little heavy for a one person. I would get the Notch if purchasing another tent. Currently have a double rainbow.
    Rasty, this isn't directed at you personally but I chuckled a little that a 2lb 2oz tent is now considered heavy in today's gear world. I love that technology has gotten us lighter (and my back does, too).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post

The weight savings of the Notch puzzled me, but then i read, somewhere, that there were optional tent poles, for the Notch, that weighed 4 oz.

So, imo, comparing the Notch and the Moment DW is a bit tricky until the spec sheet is updated to account for the different variations.

just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    The weight savings of the Notch puzzled me, but then i read, somewhere, that there were optional tent poles, for the Notch, that weighed 4 oz.

So, imo, comparing the Notch and the Moment DW is a bit tricky until the spec sheet is updated to account for the different variations.

just a thought.
    If you already use trekking poles then the Notch is 8 ounces lighter.

Images

and so the "trickiness" begins

In looking further I see the Notch has a smaller floor 32" wide versus the Moment at 42"
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Default Tarp Tent Moment DW

I'm currently on the AT with the new Moment and loving it! It's kept me dry and is solid in the wind!!!
    This is my one small step, this is my walk on the moon! ~Great Big Sea

Images

The TT Moment DW is about the only TT that has my attention...

Images

An engineering masterpiece.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    An engineering masterpiece.....
    Agree! Henry keeps knockin it outta the park!!!

Hope to receive my new Moment DW soon!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

The hiking community really loves these Henry Shires tents. They are beautiful. But I'm gonna have to stick to my guns. I'm not gonna give up my Hubba until I can find a better free-standing two layered (fly & bug screen) tent.

I played the stake-the-tent game on my second thru and I much prefer the free-standing option. I can set up in shelters without hook screws, move my tent with the changing sun/shade with out having to re-stake it, set up for a quick lunch in the bug screen, my set-up time is less than 1 minute, heck I've even set up on pick nick tables when the ground is wet (no shelters out west).

...Still they are beautiful tents, if HS ever creates a free-standing tent then they will most likely have my money.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

The Moment DW: "Free-standing and snow-load capable with optional 7-ounce pole."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    The hiking community really loves these Henry Shires tents. They are beautiful. But I'm gonna have to stick to my guns. I'm not gonna give up my Hubba until I can find a better free-standing two layered (fly & bug screen) tent.

I played the stake-the-tent game on my second thru and I much prefer the free-standing option. I can set up in shelters without hook screws, move my tent with the changing sun/shade with out having to re-stake it, set up for a quick lunch in the bug screen, my set-up time is less than 1 minute, heck I've even set up on pick nick tables when the ground is wet (no shelters out west).

...Still they are beautiful tents, if HS ever creates a free-standing tent then they will most likely have my money.
    I bought a Hubba (HP version) last year and absolutely love it. Brilliant, simple, bombproof design. Going to get some carbon fiber poles for it soon and lose another 1/2 lb.

Images

The Hubba is a nice tent. My friend used one on his 07 thru, and loved it. Where the TT Moment/Notch excels for me is the overall length. Even tho the floor length is 84" (same as the Hubba), the canopy extends a foot longer on both sides. This feature is crucial for me b/c I'm 6'5". The ends of my long sleeping bag always stay pressed up against both ends of the bathtub floor, so splash from rain that would make it past a Hubba style canopy would eventually wet the ends of my bag. The Moment solves this problem. Also, the cross pole of the moment essentially makes it free standing for 7 ozs more, with a total weight still under the Hubba. I also like that the Moment/Notch interior is attached to the canopy. It helps to keep the interior dry when deploying in the rain.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    The Moment DW: "Free-standing and snow-load capable with optional 7-ounce pole."
    Darn, now ya got me in a pinch. My only issue with the Hubba is that I can't put my two dogs inside and I think the Moment has a lot more floor space that would fit them. I'm not completely sold on the HS Moment but now I gotta go out and research it. Thanks for all the extra work jeffmeh.

(thanks for looking out jeff )
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Darn, now ya got me in a pinch. My only issue with the Hubba is that I can't put my two dogs inside and I think the Moment has a lot more floor space that would fit them. I'm not completely sold on the HS Moment but now I gotta go out and research it. Thanks for all the extra work jeffmeh.

You might look at the "Stratoshire" or the Lighheart SoLong 6 Standard.

I have one of the new double wall moments. I've used it for 3 nights so far. I really like it so far. I'm very tall, 6'6" so the interior height is a little short but that is a lot of tents. If I sit up straight with no mat my head just touches the ceiling. What I like about the tent is the length. Although the floor length is 86 inches the tent fly extends almost a foot beyond the end of the floor and the bug netting itself is longer than the floor. Thus I have plenty of room to stretch out and not worry about touching a wet fly. I used a large 77x25 inches neoair xtherm and it fit fine with the tapered ends. The fact that the floor is 42 inches wide in the middle allows me to keep most of my extra clothes and gear in the tent with my shoes and pack in the vestibule. The vestibule was able to fit an 85 liter pack in it upright so it is not small. Overall it is larger than I thought it would be. When I am on my mat I do have to slouch to sit up but at least I don't touch the fly. The storm flaps on the ends allow for good ventaltion and I had only a small amount despite camping in a river valley next to a river on a chilly night in pennyslvania. Other than the height which is only an issue for someone like me it is a really nice little tent. What I really wanted this for is to pair it with the solid inner and the crossing pole to use as a winter tent.

No worries. Also note that the Rainbow and Double Rainbow can be set up freestanding with trekking poles. The Rainbow gives you a bit more height and interior space over the Moment. I have set up a Rainbow free-standing with trekking poles and it does work well.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    I have one of the new double wall moments. I've used it for 3 nights so far. I really like it so far. I'm very tall, 6'6" so the interior height is a little short but that is a lot of tents. If I sit up straight with no mat my head just touches the ceiling. What I like about the tent is the length. Although the floor length is 86 inches the tent fly extends almost a foot beyond the end of the floor and the bug netting itself is longer than the floor. Thus I have plenty of room to stretch out and not worry about touching a wet fly. I used a large 77x25 inches neoair xtherm and it fit fine with the tapered ends. The fact that the floor is 42 inches wide in the middle allows me to keep most of my extra clothes and gear in the tent with my shoes and pack in the vestibule. The vestibule was able to fit an 85 liter pack in it upright so it is not small. Overall it is larger than I thought it would be. When I am on my mat I do have to slouch to sit up but at least I don't touch the fly. The storm flaps on the ends allow for good ventaltion and I had only a small amount despite camping in a river valley next to a river on a chilly night in pennyslvania. Other than the height which is only an issue for someone like me it is a really nice little tent. What I really wanted this for is to pair it with the solid inner and the crossing pole to use as a winter tent.
    Did you look at the Notch? A bit more headroom, and you can get solid inners for it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++