WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahiker
    As my Platoon sgt in korea used to say just keep walkin thats what the infantry does youll know when we get there cause ill tell you , in my words just walk at your pace and your time schedule youll know when youve got there or had enough your body will tell you. Also DUCT DUCT and dental floss.
    Punctuation? That post is almost unreadable. I know people hate it when they are flamed for stupid stuff, but if you arent going to take the time to post something intelligent (or at least readable), post nothing at all.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    And don't expect regular tea when you order tea south of Maryland, even it's breakfast time.
    I ordered sweet tea this weekend on a trip to Colorado Springs and the waiter there said "All we have is regular tea."

I told him sweet tea was regular tea! LOL

RainMan

P.S. He brought me unsweet (irregular) tea and extra sugar packets! Smart waiter.

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

For Hammocks: A Drip Line For Rain

Tie a shoe string or any cord/string to the support ropes to keep the water from running down into your hammock and sleeping bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hana_Hanger
    For Hammocks: A Drip Line For Rain

Tie a shoe string or any cord/string to the support ropes to keep the water from running down into your hammock and sleeping bag.
    Same theory as the fringe on a frontiersman's tunic. It should work! Great idea.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TDale
    Walk quietly, stop often, look around, breathe.
    This is great. I have always felt it, but have never said it so well. Thanks.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

Default IT'S DONE!! Finally!

Well, after being NINE days late. The Great trail tricks / words of wisdom article is done.

I have sent it to ATTROLL for posting.

Feel free to send more stuff, these tid bits have been great. As Moxie said: its stuff you never see in any book.

Thanks to all!

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

When climbing steep grades - -
    If you are winded, you are moving too fast. Steady as you go. Especially in the Whites.

Images

Default It is DONE!!

IT’S DONE!

The merging of Words of Wisdom & Great trail tricks is up as an article! Go to http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww to find some tips for hiking our beloved AT.

The article is divided into sections for ease of navigation. I will admit, some tips may have been misfiled, and I am sorry for that. Many that fit several categories are simply filed under the first category of “General”.

Huge thanks to all who posted. If I missed some, I am sorry! You all gave me over 24 pages of GREAT tips and it was a bit overwhelming keeping track of who & what I posted. I think I posted them all, but , , , , ,

Doctari.

BTW: feel free to keep posting. We all can still learn from each other!
    Last edited by Doctari; 03-12-2006 at 20:26.

Any journey starts with the first step and ends where it ends. The stuff in the middle is what we live for.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    IT’S DONE!

The merging of Words of Wisdom & Great trail tricks is up as an article! Go to http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww to find some tips for hiking our beloved AT.

The article is divided into sections for ease of navigation. I will admit, some tips may have been misfiled, and I am sorry for that. Many that fit several categories are simply filed under the first category of “General”.

Huge thanks to all who posted. If I missed some, I am sorry! You all gave me over 24 pages of GREAT tips and it was a bit overwhelming keeping track of who & what I posted. I think I posted them all, but , , , , ,

BTW: feel free to keep posting. We all can still learn from each other!
    Doctari
    Very cool. This has the smell of a possible book deal. Or perhaps a pamphlet at this point . Could be a fundraiser that woud pay WB expenses for years to come. Thanks for your work, Doctari!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Default Any more hints?

This is just to refresh: great trail tricks & words of wisdom posts.

I know we can't be out of great ideas to share!

Lets hear them K.

Doctari

Default Mine...

"Go light = go freeze."
    "White flour is not part of any food group."
    "Ultralighters don't have room for tobacco, booze, or beards."

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

For any serious Long Distance Hiker (So you want to do the AT, huh), If your serious in your attempt, try not to get caught up in fellow hikers goals (or anti-goals). REMEMBER- HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    "Ultralighters don't have room for tobacco, booze, or beards."

That settles it. I'll never go UL.

I also won't be sharing my stash....
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Here you go... important tips that I've found useful, don't venture into the wild without them ....

1. When smoking a fish, one should never inhale.

2. Lint from your navel makes a handy firestarter.

3. Becoming disorientated or lost during a hike, can cause natural feelings of panic. Sit down, quietly assess your situation, then try running around in circles, screaming.

4. In an emergency, the drawstring from a parka hood can be used to strangle a snoring tent mate.

5. To start a fire without matches, try eating jalapinos, then breathing on a pile of dry sticks.

6. If you are bald, and lost in the mountains, try using your head as a heliograph to signal S.O.S. and attract the attention of searchers.

7. Bear bells will provide hikers with some degree of safety against grizzly bears. The tricky part is getting them on the bears.

8. If lost, a compass needle can be created, by stroking the fur of a nearby marmot in one direction, and then laying him on an ice-covered lake, or floating him on a small raft. The marmot will spin to a north/south direction.

9. Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

10. Whilst the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife, with it’s single blade that can function as a tiny raft paddle, has remained largely unheralded.

11. Fabrics that can breathe, will enable hikers to stay dry in a downpour. Avoid fabrics that snore, cough, and belch.

12. A warm pair of campsite slippers can be made, by inserting each foot into a marmot.

13. If your campfire inadvertantly starts a forest fire, immediately evacuate the area, and then blame it on static electricity from marmots.

14. In emergency situations, you can easily survive in the wilderness by shooting small game with a slingshot made from the elastic waistband of your underwear.

15. The best backpacks are named after national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of packs named after city dumps or maritime disasters.

16. If lost in sub zero temperatures, create a down-filled sleeping bag, by climbing into a plastic garbage bag with several geese.

17. If water quality is suspect, and you don't have the means to boil it, try filtering it through a used hiking sock. It won't filter out the Giardia Lamblia, but it will make them feel ill.

18. When hiking on popular trails, <I>never ever</I> eat the yellow snow.

19. Forked lightning can be made much more exciting, by viewing it from the top of a nearby pine.

Hope those are of some help.

George

Images

Wink

'Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.'

-Phish

Alternate Feet When Walking

NoBoSH since 23 Nov 00-203.2 miles so far Woo Hoo Slojourner's Avatar
    Images

1st post for me on WB. My hiking buddy & I are getting up in years, kinda forgetful at times. Whenever we start hiking again, whether it be at the trailhead, after breaks, or each morning, after we've shouldered our packs, we have a ritual of making sure all the compartments are closed, and zippers are zipped, on the other's pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slojourner
    1st post for me on WB. My hiking buddy & I are getting up in years, kinda forgetful at times. Whenever we start hiking again, whether it be at the trailhead, after breaks, or each morning, after we've shouldered our packs, we have a ritual of making sure all the compartments are closed, and zippers are zipped, on the other's pack.
    Slojourner! Your fly's unzipped.

Made ya look!
    Skids

NoBoSH since 23 Nov 00-203.2 miles so far Woo Hoo Slojourner's Avatar
    Images

Yeah, we've gotten strange looks before from folks, with whom we've shared shelters, the next morning when one of us says, "C' m'ere and let me check your zippers." You can almost hear the banjo in the background . . . .

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++