WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default When are black flies in Vermont?

Can anyone help me post my question? Thanks!

I'm doing a section hike in late June and my friend wants to hike in Vermont.
    Do you think there'll still be black flies in Vermont in late June?

Probably not late June - I believe the peak is from around Memorial Day through mid-June. A few could still linger and it depends on the particular year.

You will have mosquitoes in late June.

Expect the bulk of them from late May through mid-June depending on the year.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Mid-May through mid-June. Mnemonic - your mother brings them and your father takes them away (Mothers' Day through Fathers' Day).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

They can't read, so they don't know they're not supposed to be there, but they will be.

Images

There were just a few last year in the first few days of July as I entered Vermont from MA. It was the middle of the day and I got 2-3 bites before applying the Deet. Once I got moving they didn't seem to be much of a problem.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

There's no right answer. I was out last year in July and there were no bugs until we got to an exposed summit - we had scars for weeks after that! Bring bug dope and be prepared to move.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

June can be pretty risky. Some of the worse black flies I've seen have happened during the last 2 weeks of June. It all depends on how wet a spring it is and when the hot weather makes it's way up here. Every year is different. Bring a head net just in case.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Some of the worst black flies I've been bitten by were later than June, especially on one memorable July 4 weekend in the Adirondack High Peaks. Those times were in NY and NH but VT won't be much different. It's hard to know how long they'll last and it'll vary from place to place.

Do your hike when you can, but just in case, be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Some of the worst black flies I've been bitten by were later than June, especially on one memorable July 4 weekend in the Adirondack High Peaks. Those times were in NY and NH but VT won't be much different. It's hard to know how long they'll last and it'll vary from place to place.

Do your hike when you can, but just in case, be prepared.
    I too had a bad black fly night in early July in New Hampshire. However, it was The Perch shelter slightly below treeline. I have to wonder if black flies' July presence at high elevations like the White and Adirondack high peaks means they're also still in VT which is both further south and at lower elevations.

I think it depends on what section you are on this summer on the LT. I've hiked numerous summers on the LT (mostly in July) and have found that the black flies are not to bad, but from native N.E. hikers have often said that June is a bad month for them. So.....I've never had to many problems with them in July (over 3 different summers), but what the heck, hike it anyway!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I was bit mid July and my hand swelled like a mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    I was bit mid July and my hand swelled like a mofo.
    They never totally go away until after a hard frost, but thier numbers are greatly deminished after the spring fling. Some people react badly to thier bite, some hardly at all. I'm blessed to be in the hardly at all group. They just annoy the dickens out me when they swarm. Making a small, smokey camp fire when you get to a camp helps to get rid of all the ones you collected along the trail and followed you all day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Are these the same as the flies in northern Wa that actually bite a chunk of skiing out of you? You look down and you're bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Are these the same as the flies in northern Wa that actually bite a chunk of skiing out of you? You look down and you're bleeding.
    They're tiny gnat-like with disproportionately large wings. Chances are you'll feel them before you see them. They particularly like the hairline at the forehead and behind the ear. They just chew away until you squash them.

Images

Don't forget no-seeum's... far worse than blackflies IMO.

++ New Posts ++