WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Trailhead AT parking on NY 403 & US 9

Hoping someone who knows this area can help me. We are planning to day hike from CT/NY border hopefully past the Bear Mtn. Inn.
    Someone told me we can park at this intersection of NY 403 & US 9 and other say there isn't any parking there. One book I have says yes and I think the AT NY book doesn't show as parking there.
    If anyone is familiar with this area could you clear this up for me. I don't want to get down there and then find out we can't park a car there.
    Also, that bridge to cross over the Hudson River and then to the Bear Mountain Inn, does anyone know if that is a congested area during rush hours morning and night?
    As long as I'm asking question, does anyone know if there is still snow down in that section.
    We really appreciate any help we can get on this as we are very unfamiliar with this section.
    Thanks
    Angie

If there's no parking on the east side of the bridge there is at Bear Mountain.

I'm sorry I can't vouch if it's totally correct but here's a list
    Attached Files Attached Files

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

The Rohland's AT Parking site is a comprehensive list of trailhead parking areas and safety ratings. I find it invaluable for setting up the start and end points for my section hikes.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

Wow! That was so fast. Thank you both so much. This will be a big help to us.
    Happy Hiking!

The walkway is separated from the traffic lanes on the bridge. Park at Bear Mountain. If you arrive a few days early, add a loop hike through Harriman and back to your car.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Post More specifically on Bear Mountain State Park

West of the Hudson River is a HUGE amount of parking for the lake and pool.
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...10-4473471.jpg
    According to this URL
    http://nysparks.com/parks/13/fees-rates.aspx
    The cost is $8 to park there. I'd check with the park directly about long-term parking for AT users.

East of the Hudson River, along NY Highway 9D, parking is tight to non-existent.
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...9/P1010050.JPG
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...PA1400c09b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Anghiker View Post
    Hoping someone who knows this area can help me. We are planning to day hike from CT/NY border hopefully past the Bear Mtn. Inn.
    Someone told me we can park at this intersection of NY 403 & US 9 and other say there isn't any parking there. One book I have says yes and I think the AT NY book doesn't show as parking there.
    If anyone is familiar with this area could you clear this up for me. I don't want to get down there and then find out we can't park a car there.
    Also, that bridge to cross over the Hudson River and then to the Bear Mountain Inn, does anyone know if that is a congested area during rush hours morning and night?
    As long as I'm asking question, does anyone know if there is still snow down in that section.
    We really appreciate any help we can get on this as we are very unfamiliar with this section.
    Thanks
    Angie
    Hi Angie,

Nice to see someone coming to hike in our neck of the woods.

Parking was available at the NY403/9 intersection until a few months ago, when the landowner suddenly decided a few cars in a bit of gravel off the shoulder was too much to abide. However, just a few yards north of the intersection and to the right is Cross Rd, where parking is allowed. There is also parking at Greymoor, which is east of the intersection. Can't miss it.

Bear Mountain Bridge has a traffic light on the east end and the toll booth on the west. Both help keep even heavy-ish traffic manageable. The sidewalks on either side of the bridge are comfortably wide and offer beautiful views in either direction.

Snow has melted away, though you may find a few piles lying about on north faces.

I don't know if this will work within your plans, but whenever we've parked on Bear Mountain for hiking we go to the top of the mountain, where the tower is, because parking is free up there.

And the parking areas that GoldenBear posted pictures of? They're fine, too, despite how cramped they look.

If you have any more questions I'll try to help. Enjoy!

Angela

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with the questions I had. All the post were very helpful to me. We feel more confident going down now knowing we can park where we were hoping to. Thanks again This forum is awesome!!!

++ New Posts ++