WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Things that fall

Do people have significant safety concerns about falling trees and branches? This is something I try to be aware of, ie. not camping under widow-makers (or widower-makers for some of us). I was once standing 6 feet from a dead tree as it fell over, confidently thinking I was far enough away because it was falling 90 degrees to me, but realized my stupidity as the tree broke into pieces which jumped into the air. I'm also frequently made to think when I walk around my yard and discover large tree limbs standing vertically in the ground, their tips burried several inches into the dirt. Of course we all want to stay in shelters on stormy nights when things are likely to fall, but the possibility exists any time.

Never thought about this on a hike, but I will from now on. By strange coincidence a strong storm is right now blowing into central Florida and a huge oak limb just hit the roof maybe 2 minutes before your post! In my yard, I've picked up a lot of large tree limbs imbedded 6 inches into the ground. Never even occurred to me that the same thing could happen to me in my tent! Good post.
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

Images

Shelters can be destroyed by falling trees also. That happened to Rufus Morgan shelter (the last one before NOC) a few years ago.

Images

Originally posted by Bandana Man
    Never thought about this on a hike, but I will from now on.
    Aren't you glad I gave you something new to worry about?

I had two falling tree incidents on my hike. One while sitting near the bathroom near the Fontana Hilton. A group of were chatting and a hugh branch came crashing down very close to where we were standing.

The other one was a day or so before Hot Springs. The tree was caught by small branch on another tree across the trail. The small branch was breaking and we stood in the trail and watched it fall and get caught on another branch about three times. My hiking partner went up to base of the falling tree and used his foot and pushed it over.

Easyhiker

Originally posted by Lugnut
    Shelters can be destroyed by falling trees also. That happened to Rufus Morgan shelter (the last one before NOC) a few years ago.
    Well it didn't destroy it enough to have it removed, that shelter won't be missed if it goes away. NOC is only a mile or so away and the Wesser Bald shelter is back 4 or five miles. so its not a nessecity. Its one of the worst 3 shelters I saw. The other two are Sassafras Gap and the one before Buddy and Jensine's. We could go into top ten if you want to?

Images

I think falling trees are a legitimate concern. I try to avoid setting up near trees that look like they are ready to go. Just look how many fallen trees there are in the woods. The sound of trees creaking in the wind is just one more thing to worry about while you are laying there at night...

Easyhiker

Originally posted by illininagel
    The sound of trees creaking in the wind is just one more thing to worry about while you are laying there at night...
    The mice the trees the animals the water supply are all things that you wouldn't give a second thought about after a week on the trail. Go enjoy and don't let these trivial things be a deterient to your hiking the trail.

Actually, I'm not going to lose any sleep and worry about the prospect of being body pierced by a pine tree. This is just something else to consider when scouting for a good camp site. I'll just take a quick look overhead and make sure there are no obviously dead limbs that may come down. I seldom worry about much when hiking unless my wife is along, then I worry about her!
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

Cool

The only thing I worry about falling is the rock with chute cord tied around it being tossed over a tree limb by some paranoid idiot who thinks bear will get their food. Bears schmears!. I always sleep with my food.

Images

Originally posted by Lone Wolf
    The only thing I worry about falling is the rock with chute cord tied around it being tossed over a tree limb by some paranoid idiot who thinks bear will get their food. Bears schmears!. I always sleep with my food.
    Sure makes it a lot easier when you crave a midnight snack...

Default trees

I know of a lady killed by a falling tree as she was driving down the road near her home. I think it can happen anywhere there are trees and people. At least in the woods there are other trees that may catch the one falling, or at least the crashing through the branches may give one warning that something is coming down. Does anyone have any idea how many hikers have been killed by falling trees on the AT?

Images

The way I look at it, if I get killed by a falling tree (especially if I've already checked the camp site for "suspect" trees), I guess it was just meant to be.

How unlucky can you get?

Illininagel

Team GAK

Window Makers can ruin your day, but Widow Makers can ruin your life. There are protocals for setting up a camp and looking up into the trees for potentail problems should be one of them. LNT should always be your policy when hiking, camping or doing anything.

Images

Like most, I do my best to scout an area that's not in the direct path of potential "fall-out". But - whatever will be will be, I could think of worse ways to go (like behind my desk at the office).

Ed

if a tree falls on a thru-hiker, and theres no one around...

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We never worried about this until we met Bob Peoples (Kincora Hiker's Hostel). The night we spent there he told us this story of a girl who got hit by lightning on the trail. I guess anything is possible. For a good week or so after that, every creak and every time there was a slight wind, I was paranoid. I think you just need to use common sense when picking a camping spot, and face facts that if a tree falls on you while you're thru-hiking, it's most likely your time to go! Better to get crushed by a falling tree on a thru-hike than hit by a bus crossing the street on your lunch hour
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Chairs are worse

I heard about this woman who broke her back getting out of her chair at work. Now I always get up carefully and make sure I can grab onto something if it gives way, and before I sit down I check the undersides to make sure there are no cracks or if its a swivel chair is properly tightened and has no loose parts and

Talking

Gosh, I never though about a falling tree, guess I have to add that to my list of scary things that should keep me out of the woods, but don't (i.e. snakes, bears, disease infected mosqitoes). Thanks for the thoughts and smiles.

S.G.
    "You're never too old to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Default Me and the scary tree....

I was just north of Franklin, NC about a mile in at a fairly well used campsite before Siler's Bald. A crazy storm blew in overnight with the wind roaring thru the trees. I heard this gust coming from what seemed to be a mile off, so I reached up to grab my tarp to keep it from blowing away. (I could tell this was a BIG one). All of a sudden the tarp collapses on my head.....

I oriented myself and began to try to fluff the tarp out to get it set up again, but the bottom seemed to be pinned under something. That something was a monster pine tree that came down flat bang on top of my tarp!! If I hadn't reached over my head to grab the front of my tarp the tree would've landed on and broken both my legs!!

I spazzed around for a minute or two, then got some help getting the tree off my tarp...it took three of us to move it! The tarp was fine, I was fine, but it still scared the HE** out of me. I thought I'd scouted the area pretty well, but maybe not....

Maybe next time I'll sleep under a rock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++