WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A lil' help with shoe recommendations

I have a good pair of ankle supporting boots , but with summer coming I've been planning on getting a good solid pair of hiking / trail running shoes, but there are so many options I do not know where to start, lol.

What I want is something durable , lightweight , fast drying, ( I think water-proof is useless on a shoe) good tread that is easy on the feet. I will be using these primarily for day hikes with light packs .

Please let me know what you like and that fits my bill. Obviously I need something REI or other retailers
    in my area stock (Triad of NC) .Naturally it will come down to what my feet feel best in but I just want to hear some suggestions to have a starting point. Price is not a huge concern , shoes are worth spending some $$$'s on.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I agree regarding staying away from waterproof shoes. Right now I favor Merrell Moab Ventilators, with green superfeet replacing the stock insoles. As you said, though, it is really about fit, and there are many choices out there. The Moabs are a bit beefier than some of the more sneaker-like trail runners.

I like my New Balance AT810 trail runners. I am not sure which model number replaced the AT810 this year.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Thanks for the input , hope some more comes. I went to REI this afternoon after I posted . Still just researching and I was in street work socks so tried nothing on...but am interested in several including theMerrel Moab Ventilator , the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2, as well as NB's and others. I am torn between the minimalist trail runners and the stouter lightweight hikers, lol .

Just an FYI, but REI has socks you can wear if you feel like trying shoes on but aren't equipped. I love new balance trail runners. Work well for me!

I have wide 4E feet. New Balance is what I wear.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by RugerWes View Post
    Thanks for the input , hope some more comes. I went to REI this afternoon after I posted . Still just researching and I was in street work socks so tried nothing on...but am interested in several including theMerrel Moab Ventilator , the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2, as well as NB's and others. I am torn between the minimalist trail runners and the stouter lightweight hikers, lol .
    I use NB but whatever fits you and you like is what you should get. I have a pair of NB Minimus but I would never think about using them for my only pair of shoes on a hiking trip. You could rip them in two pieces very quick on a jagged rock or tree fall. They are only good for 100 miles maybe 200 if your careful.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Merrell Moabs for me....I'm on my 4th pair.

Images

I used Salomons for years, then tried Merrell Moabs this winter. They fit and felt great, but gave me significant pain in my Achilles tendon. So I'm back to the Salomons.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I used Salomons for years, then tried Merrell Moabs this winter. They fit and felt great, but gave me significant pain in my Achilles tendon. So I'm back to the Salomons.
    Which Salomon 's do you use bigcranky ?

Don't know if REI carries them, but I love my La Sportiva Wildcats ... with a Superfeet Green insole.

Coosa

Quote Originally Posted by rusty bumper View Post
    Merrell Moabs for me....I'm on my 4th pair.
    +1 on this.
    I've found the Moab Ventilators to be good for me, and you can get them in wide widths. Buy them a little big. Non Gore Tex version.
    For some reason trail runners/running shoes don't quite work for me hiking, which is strange as I am a runner and 95% of the time running shoes are what are on my feet.
    Something like the Moabs are a good transition away from boots, and if they work for you, maybe move to trail runners later. Just my opinion

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RugerWes View Post
    Which Salomon 's do you use bigcranky ?

XA Comp. They are similar in design to the XA Pro, but they have softer cushion and are overall more flexible. Love the lacing system for ease of adjustment. I get the mesh version for 3-season hiking and the Goretex for winter.

I never used an aftermarket insole until my last pair, which were the latest XA Comp 6. They seemed even narrower than usual, and rubbed on the outside of my foot, but a pair of Spenco Polysorb that I picked up in Waynesboro solved that.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++