WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

I discovered that the Popeye "honey" packets are mostly "honey flavored corn syrup". No wonder they never solidified!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I discovered that the Popeye "honey" packets are mostly "honey flavored corn syrup". No wonder they never solidified!
    Exactly! It's rare to find real honey anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    True - as is about 70% of the honey you buy in the grocery store. Of course I am biased being a bee keeper, but IMHO you are much better off buying your honey from a local bee keeper and putting it in a travel container for backpacking. And if you really want the best honey, ask if the bee keeper uses natural bee keeping methods (no chemical treatments in the hives - for varola mites and other pests).

"At best, the vast majority of processed honey sold in the United States (what you find in most grocery stores) contains added cane sugar or other sweeteners or has been processed to the point where the honey's natural ingredients (and thus benefits) have been destroyed. At worst, it is an imported product (often from China or India where food safety laws are weak or nonexistent) that contains a variety of heavy metals, antibiotics, or other dangerous substances. Local, raw honey on the other hand is extracted directly from the honeycomb. No treatment is done to the honey, which helps preserve its nutritional value and health promoting properties."

Of course the sugar and/or corn syrup that is passed off as honey or that is used to cut real honey is still a simple carb, so I guess if you're not picky, it still functions (in part) to give you quick energy.

++ New Posts ++