WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Pls Advise on these Resupply Points

I've been working on my Resupply points and would appreciate comments.

I do not carry a stove, by choice.

1- Snack Foods at Pine Grove Furnace ......... 2 days
    2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days
    3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days
    4- Port Clinton ... Mail Drop .........................3 days
    5- Palmerton ... IGA ....................................3 days
    6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days
    7- Unionville ... Grocery/Deli .......................2 days
    8- Mt Vernon... A&P ....................................3 days
    9- Appalachian Market [before Greymoor]..... 5 days
    10- Kent, CT ... Grocery in town....................4 days
    11- Salisbury, CT ...La Bonnes ...& Deli..........3 days
    12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days
    13- Dalton, MA ... Cumberland Farms ............1 day
    14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days
    15- North Adams, MA ... Super Stop & Shop....7 days
    16- Manchester Center, VT ...Price Shopper ....3-4 days
    17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days
    18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days
    19- Woodstock Stage Rd/Bartlett Brook Rd .....2 days
    20- Hanover, NH ... Hanover Food Co-Op........ 7 days
    21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days
    22- Crawford Notch ... Mail Drop .....................4 days
    23- Pinkham Notch Front Desk ...Mail Drop ...... 2 days
    24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days
    25- Andover, ME ... General Store .................... 4 days
    26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days
    27- Stratton, ME ... Fotters................................4 days
    28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days
    29- Shaws ... Mail Drop .....................................10 days
    >> [4 Days will be delivered at Jo-Mary Rd]
    30- Abol Bridge Campground Store .....................2 days

I already see that I could combine a few of these and buy 5 days instead of 2 in one town and 3 in another.

Other suggestions?

This is all tentative of course and I could hike faster.

Thanks, Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Will Combine and take 6 days out of Palmerton and 6 days out of Salisbury and 4 days UPSed to Sherburne Pass

Pine Grove Furnace was all closed up last April when I hiked through, they may have been open on weekends so check it out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You should be able to skip #17 and go from Manchester Center to Shelburne Pass without resupplying. I think I did that section in 2 days this past August.

Images

The Italian restaurant in Unionville was excellent and a good deal.

Salisbury, CT is incredibly expensive. In my experience it was the most expensive town on the whole trail. It may not matter to you, but something to keep in mind if you're on a budget.

Double-check that White Mountain Lodge is still open in Gorham. I though I had heard that they we shutting down this season - at least, I though Greg and Jerry were selling the place.

Don't miss the Stratton diner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by VTATHiker View Post
    Double-check that White Mountain Lodge is still open in Gorham. I though I had heard that they we shutting down this season - at least, I though Greg and Jerry were selling the place.
    White Mountain Lodge and Hostel is indeed for sale....but Greg and Geri are committed to keep it open for the 2013 hiker season.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

10-K is right about skipping #17 and going on to Sherburne Pass. And at Sherburne you should be able to find plenty of food at Killington or take the bus into Rutland for your re-supply. Since you are not cooking your food bag may be a little bit heavier especially after re-supply so I would take advantage of all the food opportunities in this part of the trail and try not to carry 5 days worth. A lot of days you can eat at delis not far from the trail. A lot of the time 2 days supply will do for this area.

When going into Manchester Center, does one use the "Old Rootsville Road" or hike or hike to VT 11/30?

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    When going into Manchester Center, does one use the "Old Rootsville Road" or hike or hike to VT 11/30?
    11/30. It's an easy hitch. Both times I've hitched there it took me less than 15 minutes to get a ride.

Be careful, you can fall in love with Manchester Center. My favorite trail town x 10.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Pine Grove Furnace was all closed up last April when I hiked through, they may have been open on weekends so check it out.
    I'll be going through here in May, before Memorial Day, so it may be closed.

Maybe I should plan to use Henicle's Grocery at US 30 at Caledonia St Park?

Gotta rethink. I don't know how fast I can hike or how the terrain and weather will be.

Again, thanks, Coosa

2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days Coupla good places to eat but convenience store sux
    3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days Folk at the Doyle will take you to supermarket
    6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days
    12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days
    14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days Post office very convenient but not much in the way of resupply
    17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days
    18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days
    21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days Expensive and not much except microwave burgers
    24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days They will take you to the last Walmart on the trail
    26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days Store is good but hard to get to
    28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days Post office has a phone outside to call Sterling Hotel, has very good resupply

Images

Sherburne Pass has a large deli/convience store right next to PO. You could resupply here without postal drop between that & market a bit further down the road. Or like stated before take the shuttle bus into Rutland that runs hourly for a few bucks with plenty of options for resupply.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post

2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days Coupla good places to eat but convenience store suxI can eat meat sticks and snickers, etc for a couple of days
    3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days Folk at the Doyle will take you to supermarket I wasn't planning on staying at the Doyle. Should I??
    6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days Decided to buy for 5 days at Palmerton and skip DWG other than the Bakery
    12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days Considering taking 5 days out of Salisbury and skipping the Mail Drop
    13- Dalton, MA ... Cumberland Farms ............1 day Thought I'd just get three days at the Cumberland Farms and truck on through Cheshire
    14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days Post office very convenient but not much in the way of resupply
    17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days Suggested that I could hike from Manchester Ctr to Sherburne Pass easily
    18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days Going to send 4 days here and skip #19
    21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days Expensive and not much except microwave burgers Will Skip this then and walk a bit faster
    24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days They will take you to the last Walmart on the trail Do I have to go to MalWart?
    26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days Store is good but hard to get to Planning to stay at the Hiker Hut, I believe they have a shuttle to the store ... for a price
    28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days Post office has a phone outside to call Sterling Hotel, has very good resupply And that's where I'm planning to stay. You're saying the HOTEL has it's own resupply or the Town has a good resupply??

All I have to do now is pack a couple of mail drops. Well and get a cortisone shot.

In North Adams, go to the Wild Oats Natural food store near the college. Stop and Shop is a rip off, way overpriced. Wild Oats is awesome.

The Lodge in Gorham is for sale and I do believe it will be closed. Honestly, White Birches has a great little hiker hostel and they run shuttles where ever you want to go.

All I have to do now is pack a couple of mail drops. Well and get a cortisone shot.
    For sure stay at the Doyle. The Sterling has a very well supplied little "store" with just about anything a hiker will need in the way of food. They will also take you to the next little town.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    For sure stay at the Doyle. The Sterling has a very well supplied little "store" with just about anything a hiker will need in the way of food. They will also take you to the next little town.
    My 'food' is mostly Protein Powder, Peanut Butter, Bagels, Dried Fruit, Almonds, Granola/Go Lean by Kashi, Tortillas and Dry Hummus. I can 'live' with eating that on the Trail and not get tired of it. Especially if I can find some goooood and hot hot hot sauce. [I've had Dave's Insanity Sauce and Mrs Renfroes Salsa ... I know 'hot' and I know 'really hot.']
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I've been working on my Resupply points and would appreciate comments.
    14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days
    Just a note - the outskirts of Pittsfield, MA are under 5 miles from Dalton and have both a Price Chopper and a Stop & Shop (Price Chopper is the closest - that plaza also has a (non super) WalMart if you wish, plus an Old Country Buffet for eating.
    In the general area is also a Rite Aid (in case you need a drugstore for any reason) and a number of other food places - also a Dick's (not that they have a lot, but possibly some minor supplies).

North Adams also has a Price Chopper (to your right as you hit Route 2) if you wish an alternative to S&S, but it is a somewhat older and smaller store than the S&S so may have a more limited selection. From the databook, looks like 0.7 (PC) vs 0.5 mi (S&S).

Personally from shopping both stores (in general, not these specific locations, and not necessarily for hiking food) they can both have better prices on some items, just depends what's on sale that week vs what you are looking for. No idea on the mentioned Wild Oats (it is a bit further away, to your left (same direction as S&S) as to prices, items etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Just a note - the outskirts of Pittsfield, MA are under 5 miles from Dalton and have both a Price Chopper and a Stop & Shop (Price Chopper is the closest - that plaza also has a (non super) WalMart if you wish, plus an Old Country Buffet for eating.
    In the general area is also a Rite Aid (in case you need a drugstore for any reason) and a number of other food places - also a Dick's (not that they have a lot, but possibly some minor supplies).

North Adams also has a Price Chopper (to your right as you hit Route 2) if you wish an alternative to S&S, but it is a somewhat older and smaller store than the S&S so may have a more limited selection. From the databook, looks like 0.7 (PC) vs 0.5 mi (S&S).

Personally from shopping both stores (in general, not these specific locations, and not necessarily for hiking food) they can both have better prices on some items, just depends what's on sale that week vs what you are looking for. No idea on the mentioned Wild Oats (it is a bit further away, to your left (same direction as S&S) as to prices, items etc.
    I have a friend of my Mom's who's picking me up in Dalton to go to the Rite Aid and out to eat.

She's willing to take me to the grocery store, too. I just didn't want to impose on her too much. She's wanting me to spend the night at her house and do my laundry ... I wasn't planning to take her up on that, but I may do so.

I'll talk to her about going to Price Chopper.

Thanks again for the input.

You know, this is really pretty complicated.

Have you thought about just printing off the list you have and taking it with you. Each night you could plan the next day or so.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I think most people carry a guidebook and just plan for the next resupply. When you get to a town you'll know about how many days food you need to buy to get you to the next town. People seem to have a need to plan everything but I found that it's easier to figure it out as you go. I did download Baltimore Jack's resupply article and referred to it, it gives you a good guideline on how many days it typically takes to get from various resupply points.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++