WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike New England Aug-Sept

Hi all,

Newbie here!

I want to come to the states from the UK this summer to do a section of the Appalachian trail in early/mid August to early September.
    I was thinking of taking the train from New York to the NY trail station, and then hiking up to Vermont.

My main concern is - will there be people around if I do this section? I guess all the thru hikers will have passed by by then? I am female and will be 22, so it would be nice to have plenty of company in shelters/for hitch-hiking. (If not, would it be better to do a different section?)

A few more (!):

Is it an alright time to do this section? I'm sure it would be better to do it Southbound, but not sure that's practical for transport for me.

What are the best spots to leave the trail by public transport through Vermont/beginning of New Hampshire?

Should I bring a mosquito net for this area/time?

I would really appreciate any help on any of these. Thank you for your time!

Images

Train right to the AT stop in Pawling, NY. Bus back to NYC from Hanover, NH. You be in a large crowd of folks, thrus, sections weekenders, and day hikers. You have picked the finast time to walk in New England.

The later in August you can start, the less mosquitoes you will encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Britgirl View Post
    Hi all,

Newbie here!

I want to come to the states from the UK this summer to do a section of the Appalachian trail in early/mid August to early September.
    I was thinking of taking the train from New York to the NY trail station, and then hiking up to Vermont.

My main concern is - will there be people around if I do this section? I guess all the thru hikers will have passed by by then? I am female and will be 22, so it would be nice to have plenty of company in shelters/for hitch-hiking. (If not, would it be better to do a different section?)

A few more (!):

Is it an alright time to do this section? I'm sure it would be better to do it Southbound, but not sure that's practical for transport for me.

What are the best spots to leave the trail by public transport through Vermont/beginning of New Hampshire?

Should I bring a mosquito net for this area/time?

I would really appreciate any help on any of these. Thank you for your time!
    North Adams, Mass to North Conway, NH or Gorham, NH is another good one. Tons of views

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Thru-hikers will be mostly past the NY to VT area on your August/September schedule. If you want to be around thru-hikers, start in Hanover and maybe go all the way to Katahdin depending on your available time. NH/ME are more scenic and rewarding than the NY to VT section. BUT...that's a very challenging section, with loads of steep climbs and descents and several above treeline sections. If you're not in quite good shape, it might better to stick with NY to VT.

Mosquitoes should not be a problem by that time of year, but there could be a few buggy spots.

Images

That is the best time to be in New England. Don't worry about being alone, you wont be. There are a number of members here that will shuttle you if you need a ride. CT, MA & VT are less remote than the Whites and ME which would need more planning, heavier pack.

Great, thanks very much everyone, I appreciate it!

Images

Another option that will put you in the thruhiker crowd...start at Rutland, VT. There is a train that leaves New York Penn Station once a day around 3PM and arrived in Rutland around 8PM. There is a hiker hostel near the trail station.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I think the train from NYC to AT doesn't run very often so be sure to check the schedule!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I think the train from NYC to AT doesn't run very often so be sure to check the schedule!
    The train to the AT stop is on weekends, the train to Pawling, 1 mile south of AT, is daily

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    The stop at the AT is only available on weekends. The schedule is here.
    It's the Harlem Line. I believe that the Pawling stop is the closest if you need to get there during the week.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

Yes, that is what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Another option that will put you in the thruhiker crowd...start at Rutland, VT. There is a train that leaves New York Penn Station once a day around 3PM and arrived in Rutland around 8PM. There is a hiker hostel near the trail station.
    Hmm, that's interesting, thank you. My concern with that is that I'm not massively fit?
    I was thinking another option might be to do the Long Trail? Presumably there'll be a load of people doing it around my time?

Quote Originally Posted by Britgirl View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting, thank you. My concern with that is that I'm not massively fit?
    I was thinking another option might be to do the Long Trail? Presumably there'll be a load of people doing it around my time?
    Now you are talking.......

The Long Trail is 270 miles with the more difficult parts past the half-way point north of the AT turnoff. If you have 3 weeks, you could probably do it. My LT thruhike began in mid-August and I had no mosquitoes.

The biggest hassle for you is returning to NY at the end of your hike. The northern end is pretty remote. Contact the Green Mountain Club in advance for assistance.

I'll have to have a look at your journal, cookierhiker, thanks!

August and September are great months to hike New England. If you are in New Hampshire and Maine you can still expect thru-hikers that time of year.

++ New Posts ++