WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solomon?

Images

Default Solomon?

Does anyone hike with Solomon shoes and if so any feedback? Pros and cons that you have personally experienced?
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

I've had a few pairs. I'm on a second pair of XA Comps. I like them a lot as they have been kind to my feet. I used to get terrible blisters on the back of my heel. These have stopped that. I particularly like the speed laces. Cons would be the mesh doesn't hold up particularly well. You get about average wear on them IMO.

I have a pair of winter boots too, these are awesome, very warm and comfortable. I don't have any cons for these boots. I've got them sitting on the radiator but I don't know the name, I will attempt to look them up.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I wore the xr missions almost my whole hike. I did go through 3 pair. Their customer service is very good. I bought 2 pair and got two pair replaced. When I got done there was a new pair of shoe waiting at home for me that were free

Journal Entries

I have not .
    I have hiked with someone that did and he loved them.

I spent time trying on a bunch of trail shoes once.
    The ones that felt best on my feet, were the Solomon XA Pro 3d, and shoes by Innov8 and New Balance.
    I only point this out, to say that if you like the fit of one, you might like the fit of the others too.

I ultimately decided the Salomon was more shoe than I needed, and heavier than I wanted.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a huge fan... good wear - they dry quick - had an older pair that was water proof - totally miss them... hands down better than NB.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've used them and been satisfied. Don't remember the model. More of a walking shoe than a trail runner.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

I still have a pair of Salomon hiking boots. Will use them on part of the CDT this year. They are as one other said, hands down the best and most comfortable hiking boots I have ever used. I did end up just wearing one nylon sock when I wear these boots. They are that comfortable and believe it or not I never have experienced a blister while using them.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am a huge fan... good wear - they dry quick - had an older pair that was water proof - totally miss them... hands down better than NB.
    NB tend to fit me well. Do you feel that Solomons are cut similarly?

Journal Entries
    Images

thats a tough question at first I would say yes... but I don't get tied to a size number. I take fresh or new socks and try three different sizes at the store. Its hard to get boots that fit claws.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    NB tend to fit me well. Do you feel that Solomons are cut similarly?
    I wear NB "trail runner" type sneakers for every day use. I find that NB has quite a variety of cuts. I like this brand too but find I need to try on a variety of NB styles before I get the correct fit. The shoe stores do not always have the same ones whenever I need a new pair. The Salomon shoes I always remember the exact model because I have been very satisfied with them.

I know it is a little apples and oranges as I do not use the NB on trail, but I thought it might help a little to note the variety of cuts in the NB family.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

I don't by any means have flat feet, but I thought the arch support was a little extreme in the Solomon trail runners I ordered. I had to send them back... Everything else about them seemed comfortable and well made though.
    We are all one big human family.

Images

I wore the XA Comps for years. Comfortable, great trail runners, but the last "new" version seemed even narrower than usual and I couldn't wear them.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have a pair of XA 3D Ultra 2s and my only complaint is that my left little toe rubs up against the area where the mesh begins and the rubber ends. I put in some moleskin to cover the area and give some cushion and hoping that it works out for me. They do dry incredibly well and the speed laces make it super easy to take them on and off. I hear La Sportiva are really good as well. Might make my next pair some of those to compare. I can honestly say that my Hi-Tec boots will never be worn again. Lost both of my big toe nails after hiking less than 25 miles in those. Pay the extra money and get something that won't cause serious foot damage.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was in the market for new boots last year. I had been having problems with blisters on my heals. I saw that the Salomon Quest 4D GTX had tons of good reviews... so they were one of the boots on my radar. I tried boots on in three smallish hiking stores in town, and the Quest felt the best out of the box of any I tried (cheaper as well as more expensive).

I've so far LOVED them. Where my old boots used to leave my feet feeling tired after about 8 miles, the Salomon still feel pretty good even after 12-13 miles (that's about as far as I can go in a day... at least in GSMNP).

worn these for more than a year almost daily, hiked in them a too and I am a fan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Salomon Quest 4D GTX are great boots - comfortable out of the box, fits my low volume feet w/ narrow heels but square-ish and wide toes (but still low volume). Good grip, durable despite some scruffs and normal wear & tear, still waterproof. Not the best for hot & humid conditions though.

Just ordered a pair of X ultra GTX that were on sale for $110 at REI.

Images

Love them, especially the lateral support. Front to back, super, but to me the side to side support is noteworthy. For whatever reason I used to roll my ankles on EVERY hike. Scary in the woods.

Not with Salomons, really solid.

One negative, my super feet will not fit in these low top shoes for some reason, oh well.

I just finished 1/2 half of my thru hike in a single pair of Salmon 3 Ultra. I am now wearing my second pair, would recommend them to anyone.
    In this photo they have 1068 miles.

Salamon synapse are amazing.they let your foot roll with a natural motion that happens while hiking unlike a regular running shoe

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=ScottTrip;1880458]I just finished 1/2 half of my thru hike in a single pair of Salmon 3 Ultra. I am now wearing my second pair, would recommend them to anyone.
    In this photo they have 1068 miles./QUOTE]

WOW...that is quite a testimony! I am using these to start with on my ME>GA and was hoping to get 500 miles out of them!
    Thanks for sharing.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++