WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting to Trail Days

I'm starting around May 5-7 so there's no way I could make it to trail days in 10 days. Anyone think that someone would give me a ride in Hot Springs/somewhere South and then let me ride back with them?

I'm not specifically asking anyone here to give me a ride, but rather gauging how difficult/easy it will be to do on the trail, or if I should plan it with someone before, etc.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    I'm not specifically asking anyone here to give me a ride, but rather gauging how difficult/easy it will be to do on the trail, or if I should plan it with someone before, etc.
    I meet hikers last year at Trail Days who hitch-hiked from north Georgia and from Shenandoah National Park to get to Trail Days. It can be done if you have the will power.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

There are usually more than a handful arranging rides from Hot Springs to Trail Days.

Not all of them return to start over there.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    There are usually more than a handful arranging rides from Hot Springs to Trail Days
    That is true! Make sure you can get a ride back to where you left off. You shouldn't have a problem getting a ride to TD's.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    I meet hikers last year at Trail Days who hitch-hiked from north Georgia and from Shenandoah National Park to get to Trail Days. It can be done if you have the will power.
    Truth. I think if you set up next to any highway along the Southern AT on Thursday or Friday with a sign that says "TRAIL DAYS," you'll get a ride sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    There are usually more than a handful arranging rides from Hot Springs to Trail Days.

Also true. In 2011, the Baptist church ran multiple shuttles back to Erwin and Hot Springs on Sunday ... you just had to sign up a day or two in advance. It might still work that way. Or maybe not. You'll figure something out, it's not hard. I saw a kid set up on the main street with a kitten and a sign that said "Rhode Island, ran out of money," and he had a ride within 20 minutes.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Default NoBo May 5th; NOC to Trail Days May 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    I'm starting around May 5-7 so there's no way I could make it to trail days in 10 days. Anyone think that someone would give me a ride in Hot Springs/somewhere South and then let me ride back with them?
    Hi! I am starting on May 5th in Springer also! I plan to be at the NOC by May 17th and I think from there I will be able to find a ride no problem... But just in case I'm working on calling Trail Days/ the ATC/ or this trail angel my friend referred me to in order to arrange a ride there instead.

Have you figured it out yet?

++ New Posts ++