WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cross Mtn. Rd. Trail Head

My father and I are doing a loop combining the AT and Iron Mtn. trail next month begining at the Cross Mtn. Rd. intersection. The map I have shows parking and I was wondering if it's safe to leave a vehicle at this location. I understand nothing is garanteed. Additionally, is anyone familiar with the approximate distance from the Iron Mtn. Trail, where it intersects Cross Mtn. Rd. and how far it is back to the AT? We're coming back from Damascus on the Iron Mtn.

Thanks!

Justin

i haven't heard of any vandalism at that parking spot in recent years. it's about a mile between the 2 trail heads

That's heading north on the A.T. into Damascus and looping back on the IMT, correct? Also, how difficult is it to find the IMT coming out of Damascus?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just a heads up the IMT (Tennessee side) is a bit rugid. Not a whole lot of water sources and not usually maintained like the AT. And I have seen bears at the 421 and Cross Mtn Road trailheads.

The TN91 has no reports of vandalism to my knowledge. If you are doing AT into Damascus then IMT back to TN91, you will walk into Damascus from the AT. But follow the AT/Creeper to Sundogs and Subway head straight over the bridge onto Orchard Hill Rd. Walk the road until you see an old gated forest road with a small Iron Mtn Trail sign. There might be bridgework going on one of the bridges over the creek.

Or follow the Creeper Trail out of town and turn onto VA91 and turn onto Orchard Hill Road. The old forest road will be on the left.

After crossing 421, the IMT will come out at Cross Mountain road in front of some radio towers before the road drops off the mountain. But its about a mile back to TN91. And I have met some aggressive dogs on Cross Mtn Road. There is some parking room at the towers but I would not advise parking there overnight.

BearPaw posted a hiking report on WB about it a couple years ago. The Blue Blazes of the AT or something like that.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 04-02-2013 at 15:55.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks for the information guys. My dad and I did this loop about 3 weeks ago and had a fantastic time...The Iron Mtn. Trail was great!

++ New Posts ++