WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Hiking pole recomendations please

I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk (in the woods). That still seems right to me; but guess who has some balance issues now? Two laminectomies have left me with a certain amount of numbness in my right foot. That and a fairly severe work-related injury to my left ankle over the winter make me want to try a pair.

I am 6'3", about 220#, with a wingspan close to 76". I think I want adjustable poles for tarp-support reasons, and possibly for comfortable hiking as well. I know I want pretty sturdy poles. My ortho says 6 months will do it for my recovery, but he is unaware I plan to do a ten-day hiking/fishing jaunt in the Winds with my 15-year old 90 pound daughter at about 6 and a half months from the date of the injury. If I have to put some weight on one of these poles to protect this slow-healing ankle from a twist or a fall, I need it to be able to take it.

What should I get? TIA

The plain ole Black Diamond Trail will work as will a buncha others. Flip locks will work better for tarp support.

Images

Black Diamond Ergo-Cork, Flip- locks.....got them.....love them.

Images

Another vote for BD - I like the ergo ellipticals, myself. The oval shape is stronger and as swjohnsey mentions, I really like the flip locks. They will hold for a long time with no slipping, if you want. Like close to a year with a hike every week, season changes, etc., and no slipping at all.

On the why side - I was like you and don't have the surgeries and stuff, but I did an experiment to keep an open mind. What I discovered is that recovery time (how long I "feel the burn" after my weekly hike) diminished when I used the poles. With that said, I believe they may have helped me to step it up a bit in what I do and get out of my weekly hike. I was a skeptic, but I like them quite a bit now. YMMV.

I have the BD alpine cork graphite whatever and the cork is nice in subfreezing temps BUT the cork will split and break off eventually after long use. I emailed BD about it and of course never got a reply so beware BD customer service.

Images

I feel the same as Fathead.....I never needed them damn things.......I've been using them for a year, I keep them in my car so I don't forget them.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Black Diamond Ergo-Cork, Flip- locks.....got them.....love them.
    Same as Coach, except I have Leki. Flip locks are definitely better than the twist (had those before).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries

Default Hiking pole recomendations please

I am just a little bigger than you. I have been using the REI Traverse poles for several years. They are fairly light and strong. As with many others, I like the flip locks and cork handles. These will run you 30 to 50 bucks less than a set of Lekis or some Black Diamonds.
    RIAP

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk TIA
    I thought the same thing then I read that 95% of people that complete a thru hike use hiking poles so there must be something to it so I thought I'd give it a try. I got some wal mart (Outdoor Products) $20 poles and I love em. very sturdy & spring loaded too. The key is that you use the right technique. I looked at tons of videos on you tube and I think this one is the best -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3QMD4dtlM. I wonder how I ever walked without them. I'm sold.

Serial Hiker
    Images

I love my LT4 Trekking Poles. The best $$$ I've ever spent on any backpacking/hiking equipment.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk (in the woods). That still seems right to me; but guess who has some balance issues now? Two laminectomies have left me with a certain amount of numbness in my right foot. That and a fairly severe work-related injury to my left ankle over the winter make me want to try a pair.

I am 6'3", about 220#, with a wingspan close to 76". I think I want adjustable poles for tarp-support reasons, and possibly for comfortable hiking as well. I know I want pretty sturdy poles. My ortho says 6 months will do it for my recovery, but he is unaware I plan to do a ten-day hiking/fishing jaunt in the Winds with my 15-year old 90 pound daughter at about 6 and a half months from the date of the injury. If I have to put some weight on one of these poles to protect this slow-healing ankle from a twist or a fall, I need it to be able to take it.
    What should I get? TIA
    Happy with my Walmart $20.00 twist lock poles. Very sturdy and will remain as positioned if tightened.

Journal Entries

I dont need them.
    But I know I hike much faster with them, particularly downhill.

I currently have been using Fizan compact ultralites the last several hundred miles, no problems.
    Not available in US, have to order from Europe

Images

I can only say that you don't need the $100 flick whatever,shock absorbing yada yada yada to help with down hills. I have a no name brand-- Arakan --that have held up for me nearly 10 years,bought used from a hiker friend,look like they've been used to find hidden land mines, but still function like they're designed to.

Bottom line...If brand name poles are what you desire then the market has gazillions to offer you at lofty prices. Look at the functionality(if that's a word) of the cheaper poles,i.e...Walmart,Dicks sells off brand poles, and see if that is really all you need. If at the end of the day you see that the answer is no, the Leki's with the cork handles feel better, you like the flick locks,well then my all means cough up the extra dough for them.

For me, I saw no need to go that route. I figured that the money I'd save on expensive trekking poles could go toward more costly gear that I deemed more important.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

PacerPoles.

Section Hiker

+1 for Black Diamond Trail Ergo.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I like the Black Diamond poles. I prefer aluminum with cork handles. They have been going strong for thousands of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    +1 for Black Diamond Trail Ergo.
    Me too. Love 'me.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

+1 for flick-locks, cork grips, aluminum. Mine are Komperdell, they're cheaper than BD. I borrowed a pair of shock-absorbing ones once, don't particularly care for them. I'd worry about carbon-fiber ones breaking. I've fallen with a pole under me once or twice.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    PacerPoles.
    Pacer poles are the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I have the BD alpine cork graphite whatever and the cork is nice in subfreezing temps BUT the cork will split and break off eventually after long use. I emailed BD about it and of course never got a reply so beware BD customer service.
    I loved my BD poles but eventually (and I do mean eventually, thousands of miles) broke them. I stuck with BD and replaced my broken poles with the Z-poles. Both of the poles' grips broke in multiple places in less than 100 miles. And BD customer service wouldn't give me the time of day.

REI traverse poles (made by Komperdell) are great as long as you never have to replace the tips. Definitely the most solid poles I have used but the lack of tip replacement was a killer when one happened to fall off after 600 miles.

I'm happiest with my Leki poles. Not quite as sturdy as the REI poles but the tips are replaceable. And they are still sturdy enough that I can just about put all of my weight on them.

Whatever poles you get, definitely get the flip locks instead of the twist locks. They hold more weight and are less prone to coming loose.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++