WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dearth of Good Journals?

Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's the lower number of thrus this year, but it seems to me that this year's trailjournals are a disappointing lot overall.

So many good ones have gone off trail or are spending almost every night in motels or have morphed into car campers... suggestions welcome for journals to read of people who are really hiking the trail and write well and post often?

CrazyJane

Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming. If you're interested in reading a journal with more of a wilderness feel, checkout the PCT journals.

My daughter and I will have a journal on a 60-mile hike of the Colorado Trail in late July. We are doing a 30-mile shakedown starting on Sunday - Carvers Gap to Erwin. That's just a "lowly" section hike, but the thoughts of a 15 year old kid and her Old Man might be interesting. The kid is a dang good writer! She got the highest grade in her creative writing class in her Freshman Class. She's got a great sense of humor too. It'll appear in a week or so and be done by mid-August. The photos should be great! I hope the writing is half as good.

Jeffrey Hunter
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming.
    I wonder if that's really true Mowgli. I will admit that there are a lot of hikers these days who don't seem to place much importance on journalling (writing or photo) their AT hikes. But I'm not convinced it's related to any change in the "AT Thru-hike Experience". I think there's a better chance it's a change in the nature of the hiker.

That said ...I have to admit that the accounts of PCT, CT and CDT hikers tend to really capture my interest these days.

'Slogger
    Last edited by attroll; 07-03-2005 at 02:44.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

That's just a "lowly" section hike, but the thoughts of a 15 year old kid and her Old Man might be interesting. The kid is a dang good writer! She got the highest grade in her creative writing class in her Freshman Class. She's got a great sense of humor too. It'll appear in a week or so and be done by mid-August. The photos should be great! I hope the writing is half as good.
    Send the link when its done! Love to hear the account of the trip!

PS. no such thing as a lowly section hike. It's all good!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    I wonder if that's really true Mowgli. I will admit that there are a lot of hikers these days who don't seem to place much importance on journalling (writing or photo) their AT hikes. But I'm not convinced it's related to any change in the "AT Thru-hike Experience". I think there's a better chance it's a change in the nature of the hiker.

That said ...I have to admit that the accounts of PCT, CT and CDT hikers tend to really capture my interest these days.

'Slogger
    My friend Ed hiked in '83. He tells me that town was not the fixation that it is now. Now Rick Boudrie and The Hog might be able to dispell that notion. In fact, I'd be interested to hear their take. And don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed my town stays as much as the next guy. It just seems to me, that with eah passing year, the AT is becoming more of a party trail for a certain segment of the thru-hikers. The proximity of towns, and the plethora of info about the trail makes that possible - IMO.

If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.
    Last edited by attroll; 07-03-2005 at 02:44.

'Slogger
    My friend Ed hiked in '83. He tells me that town was not the fixation that it is now. Now Rick Boudrie and The Hog might be able to dispell that notion. In fact, I'd be interested to hear their take. And don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed my town stays as much as the next guy. It just seems to me, that with eah passing year, the AT is becoming more of a party trail for a certain segment of the thru-hikers. The proximity of towns, and the plethora of info about the trail makes that possible - IMO.

If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.

[QUOTE=Footslogger]
    Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming.
    ===============================================

Seems that "doing the AT" is similar to what "Backpacking in Europe" was for previous generations. Something to after college. Most do it more for the social than the wilderness experience. It is all a guess, mind you.

Are most hikers out for something differnent onthe AT? I honestly don't know. But, if you look at trail jouransl and videos, it is more about the social scence than the wilderness scene. Just my .05 worth...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

For better or worse, I had one of the first online journals (be it hiking or otherwise). There were others before me...but not many. Our very own TJ transcribed my journal.

If you are intrerested, check out. I took a total of 10 zero days, so spent only a bit of time in town: http://magnanti.com/mags_at98.htm

It ain't Hemmingway..but may be what you are looking for in a journal.

And it is remarkable what a difference seven years makes. (My hairline was bit lower and thicker, for instance. !) : http://www.magnanti.com/mags_projo1998.htm
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Seems that "doing the AT" is similar to what "Backpacking in Europe" was for previous generations. Something to after college.
    ==========================================
    Guess I'm a "late bloomer" then because college was a fading memory when I hiked the trail. I don't have the time or true interest in undertaking the project but it would be interesting to read a synopsis of journals over the past 8 - 10 years in terms of their emphasis. Would it be more on the social aspects of the hike or on the true outdoor (I hesitate to use the word "wilderness") experience??

All I know for sure was that for me the AT was the realization of dream that started as a youngster. I met a lot of interesting people on the trail and really enjoyed knocking down beers in towns along the way. But, when my mind wanders (and it does this alot) I think more about the times when I was alone and witnessed a natural moment ...a bear on the trail in front of me, an owl over head checking me out as I hiked by, a rattlesnake that lunged at me as I tried to walk around it and just plain seeing things that some people will only read about in magazines. That's what made the AT memorable for me. The rest of the stuff I could have experienced back at home.

'Slogger

==========================================
    Guess I'm a "late bloomer" then because college was a fading memory when I hiked the trail. I don't have the time or true interest in undertaking the project but it would be interesting to read a synopsis of journals over the past 8 - 10 years in terms of their emphasis. Would it be more on the social aspects of the hike or on the true outdoor (I hesitate to use the word "wilderness") experience??

Well, I will say the majority of hkers fall into two groups: under 25, over 55.

My suspicion is that most of the under 25 crowd is out more for a social experience. It was true for many of the hikers I knew 7 years ago on the AT, suspect it is more true now.

The 55+ crowd may be out more for an outdoor experience (good choice of words, BTW!).

Those of us in the non-student or non-retiree crowd have different motives as well, I think.

I have no valid data to back up this assumption...just a gut feeling.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Default I've noticed that too

I have a serious case of Springer Fever and was looking in Feb and March for a good journal to read but didn't really find one. I've stopped checking altogether now.

When I was on the trail last year, I had a trailjournal and really made a concerted effort to put time into writing quality stuff. 90% of the people I was with who also had trailjournals, spent far less time on theirs, than I did on mine. It just didn't seem like a priority to a lot of people. I wanted to make mine a quality site that I could refer people to when they heard I hiked the AT, I think for a lot of people it's more just the novelty of it.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Images

I'm sort of like you Jackie. I wanted to journal my hike well but not so much for others. I wanted to have something that would live on and allow me to re-live the experience for years to come. Pretty much all journals, of which I am aware, tend to taper off near the end -- mine included. But this year the journals I have seen are pretty much in a rut already. Another thing, at least for me, is pictures. The saying that ..."a picture is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more true than on a distance hike. It's fun to read over my own journal but, truth be told, I could sit for hours and sift through my pics. Seems like every time I see one of my pics it brings back another memory or two. The reason for saying this is that many of the on-line journals I have seen so far this year are somewhat "pictureless". Lots of hikers have pre-hike pics from home and the like but the actual day-to-day shots are lacking. Guess it's up to the individual hiker but I think many of them are going to regret not having taken more shots along the way.

Was going to say ..."just my $ .02" but Mags has already upped the anny to $ .05 so I'll see him and raise it to $ .10

'Slogger

Quote Originally Posted by Mags

My suspicion is that most of the under 25 crowd is out more for a social experience. It was true for many of the hikers I knew 7 years ago on the AT, suspect it is more true now.

The 55+ crowd may be out more for an outdoor experience (good choice of words, BTW!).
    Mags, I like your thesis - and think there is a lot of validity to your observation.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBolen

90% of the people I was with who also had trailjournals, spent far less time on theirs, than I did on mine. It just didn't seem like a priority to a lot of people.
    Jackie, I think you would agree that its alot of work to keep up with a journal on a long hike. I was tired and often didn't have the energy to write. After a couple of days, some of the hourly memories start to fade. Then you're stuck with having to write for a couple of hours to catch up, or just write a short paragraph for each day. I tried to put a good effort forward, and as a result, I bet I spent between 120-150 hours writing over the course of my hike. SOmetimes it was a chore. Other times it was a joy. I remember writing until about 1 AM while at Scott Farm in PA. It was such an amazing day - words couldn't do it justice.

i keep both a written and photographic journal of my hiking adventures. ninety-five percent of my hiking is done in what other hikers might consider the "off season." fall and winter are my favorite times to be on the trail.

i would definitely say that my reasons for being on the trail are different than some. the bug bit me and so i hike. i'll socialize, but i don't hike for social reasons. to be in the wilderness and to see, experience, and enjoy being out in God's great creation is something special to me.

with that having been said- feel free to browse my various journals. i would like to think that i spend a little more time and put in a little more effort than the average hiker. i take a sense of pride in my journal.

who knows? my writing could be crap, but at least i am putting forth the effort.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

I
    Was going to say ..."just my $ .02" but Mags has already upped the anny to $ .05 so I'll see him and raise it to $ .10

'Slogger
    I'm just lazy and hate dealing with multiple coins. Legacy of being a lightweight backpacker? A dime is too rich for me....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Default Pictures in Journals

.... Another thing, at least for me, is pictures. The saying that ..."a picture is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more true than on a distance hike. .... many of the on-line journals I have seen so far this year are somewhat "pictureless". Lots of hikers have pre-hike pics from home and the like but the actual day-to-day shots are lacking. .......'Slogger
    For what it's worth, I've gone the other extreme. My 2005 AT journal of this year's section hikes has only 42 day entries, but over 270 photos!

http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005

I don't have a transcriber so my Gorham-to-Katahdin hike starting this August won't get posted until late September or October unless I can manage pithy entries at library or other e-mail access points in Maine.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Good journal

www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ...
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Good journal

www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ... It follows my 2003 thru-hike as well as this years thru-hike.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

American Idiot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJane
    Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's the lower number of thrus this year, but it seems to me that this year's trailjournals are a disappointing lot overall.
    Maybe you've read enough of them it makes the rest seem bland.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew
    www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ... It follows my 2003 thru-hike as well as this years thru-hike.
    Hudson:

I have been checking your journal, its pretty good - but it is not very current. Any new posts on the horizon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++