WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by erieite View Post
    I must be in the minority because I really was disappointed in the book.
    Add 1 to that group.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Is it all possible that if some of the particular storylines from the book make it into the movie, it could end up giving the AT a bad rep?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Is it all possible that if some of the particular storylines from the book make it into the movie, it could end up giving the AT a bad rep?
    Given how often non-hikers ask me if the trail in the south is inhabited by folks like the ones in deliverance, I would say people's opinions are easily swayed by movies. A mainstream movie about the trail could easily give it a bad name, or it could make the trail obnoxiously popular and crowded for a couple of years. We'll have to wait and see...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

My take is that hikers are like reenactors, and take themselves too serious. Hikers will take immediate offense at what is otherwise a diverse, accurate and humorous depiction of trail culture...
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    My take is that hikers are like reenactors, and take themselves too serious. Hikers will take immediate offense at what is otherwise a diverse, accurate and humorous depiction of trail culture...
    Funny, but true.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Well said! If people really want to be offended they should read his "Lost Continent" where he travels around the country and makes fun of everyone including himself. Sometimes people just need thicker skins.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

yup. good book. he captured the southern AT perfectly. i was on the AT that year. all other books are just plain azz boring

I loved the book. If anything has made the AT even more famous it's Bill Bryson. I know people in the hiking community have less than a stellar opinion of Bill Bryson (for whatever reason) but he put the AT on the map for the general population of America.

I'm thinking Steve Carell as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz for believability.

If you haven't see John Goodman lately in the movie Argo or the movie Flight you'd have a much greater appreciation of John Goodman's talent. Argo is an excellent movie if you're looking for something to rent/watch. I couldn't watch the entire Flight movie -- too many bad memories of being on those types of flights in a past life where the plane went cockeyed.

By the way -- the funniest line in the book is where "what's your trailname" is asked. Still cracks me up.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    I loved the book. If anything has made the AT even more famous it's Bill Bryson. I know people in the hiking community have less than a stellar opinion of Bill Bryson (for whatever reason) but he put the AT on the map for the general population of America.

If you haven't see John Goodman lately in the movie Argo or the movie Flight you'd have a much greater appreciation of John Goodman's talent. Argo is an excellent movie if you're looking for something to rent/watch. I couldn't watch the entire Flight movie -- too many bad memories of being on those types of flights in a past life where the plane went cockeyed.

By the way -- the funniest line in the book is where "what's your trailname" is asked. Still cracks me up.

Datto
    Have to say I liked the book as well. I can't wait to see how they play the scene of Katz trying to pick up the 350 lb girl at the laundromat and the ensuing chase by her 600 lb redneck husband. I rolled when I read that part. "She's got a great body too, it's just hiding under 200 lbs of fat"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    I can totally see this!

BTW, Goodman was awesome in Treme as well. (I'm also a sucker for anything by David Simon)

In any case, it is just a light hearted, fun and easy read. Something to read while waiting for connecting flights. Not sure why people get so offended.

Yes, he poked fun at the south.

He also pokes fun at himself and other places where he goes. Heck, I'm sure if he wrote about the northeast, he'd write about the over caffeinated people who talk funny. I'd laugh along....
    Last edited by Mags; 04-06-2013 at 13:23.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I can totally see this!

BTW, Goodman was awesome in Treme as well. (I'm also a sucker for anything by David Simon)
    Hee hee, I'm thinking Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

They did. It with the Lorax and The Grinch, why not Bryson and Katz??

Images

I got the impression in the book that Katz didn't exist that he was Bryson alter ego, was I the only one that read it that way.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I got the impression in the book that Katz didn't exist that he was Bryson alter ego, was I the only one that read it that way.
    Katz exists:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...out-of-the-bag

http://dailynewthing.wordpress.com/2...-i-needed-one/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    He existed.

They were both at Rainbow Springs and Jensine showed me their charge tickets. She hated that book.

I like Bryson, but though this particular book was his worst. If it does become a movie, I will wait until I can see it for free.

I'm torn. I like the idea of the movie but I also do not want the trail to become more popular :-)

Baron
    Images

I liked the book.

I really do not understand people who go "well maybe they can actually THRU-HIKE IT next time".

There are literally dozens of memoirs of people who thru-hiked. Go read those if that's so important to you.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

The dude should be playing katz.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Singular worst idea Ive heard of all year.

What made the the book good, was Brysons style of writing.
    Certainly not storyline.
    That cant be duplicated in a movie.

mega flop coming on
    That's exactly what happened with the On The Road movie.

Linklater is great filmmaker but I don't know how he's going pull this off. Why do they feel it necessary to adapt every single Best selling book into a movie?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++