WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Class of 2013 -- Your Celebrityness

Yes, you're going to be a celebrity.

It's inevitable.

"Are you going all the way?"

"Are you going all the way through?

"Are you one of those people walking to Maine?"

"Are you a thru-hiker?"

You'll be a symbol of someone who's broken out of the mold, someone who's drawing outside the lines.

When non-hikers encounter you on your thru-hike -- and realize what you're doing with your life -- it'll remind them, in just a flash, just a moment, how they have led their own life, how they've sought their own dreams. Or haven't.

Dealing with your celebrityness is a matter of the kind of person you are now, sitting in your comfortable living room, and who you will become when you take your first step on the Appalachian Trail to start your AT thru-hike.

If there is such a thing as Karma it has enveloped the Appalachian Trail. If you are nice and courteous and gracious during your AT thru-hike (even if you are not so presently), that niceness will come back to you in spades up the Trail. I know it's hard to believe while you're still at work, still driving in rush hour traffic. I had been told about it before I started my own AT thru-hike and I found it to be true as I thru-hiked northward toward Katahdin. The more you are kind, the more you are gracious and courteous, the more providence will positively affect you. On the Trail and after.

In case you didn't know already, your celebrityness comes with a responsibility. That being a positive emissary for the Appalachian Trail and the community to which you've become a member (willingly or not).

Some of you have not been kind or gracious in your life - for whatever reason. If you will voluntarily become kind and gracious and friendly to others on the Trail during your AT thru-hike, the Trail will make it easier for you. Do you wish to make it more difficult or easier?

Top Dozen Tips On How To Handle Your Celebrityness Graciously

12) When you receive a ride into town or from town back to the Trail, ALWAYS look the driver in the eye and say "Thank You" when you get into the vehicle and then once AGAIN when you're dropped off at your destination.

11) Never leave a motel room dirtier than you've found it. That includes cleaning up all the leaf droppings your backpack and your sleeping bag have left all over the motel room carpet. And clean up all the little white threads on the motel room carpet that mysteriously appear out of nowhere. All that scum your body has left as a ring around and at the bottom of the shower - clean that up so people don't think you, and all other thru-hikers, are pigs. Even if you are naturally a pig back home. Take all your garbage and cardboard boxes from your resupply that you emptied while in your motel room out to the dumpster so the motel room is not left in disarray after you're gone. Before leaving to go back to the Trail, thank the front desk or the owner of the hostel for having you stay there. It doesn't take much effort but it has a massive amount of positive affect for you later on as well as for those who will come after.

10) Don't leave a mess or make a scene in a restaurant. No yelling at the other thru-hikers when they arrive at the restaurant. No drunken stupor boisterousness in the trailtown bars at night. If you visit an AYCE, don't make a pig of yourself and for heaven's sake, don't try to sneak food from the AYCE back to your room in your pockets or your pack. There will likely be occasions where the other patrons in the restaurant are going to be looking at you - staring -- sizing you up as either a thru-hiker or a homeless person. Don't make them think you're a homeless person - have manners when you eat rather than scarfing food as fast as you can shovel it down your gullet. Make sure you're not wandering the restaurant with gobs off food sticking to your beard. Remember: Little pinkies up. The world is watching. Be the celebrity you always wanted to be, not the pig people will remember you are.

9) Make sure you clean out the washing machine you use at the laundromats along the Trail after your clothes are pulled out. Yeah, I know -- there may still be clods of mud at the bottom of the washing machine. Clean those out so the next person doesn't start out their wash load with mud from your thru-hike on their clothes. And guess what? There may be mud in the dryer when you pull your ahem, clean clothes out of the dryer. Just put your head inside the dryer drum and do a visual inspection of the inside of the dryer drum so the next person to use the dryer doesn't end up with Appalachian Trail stuck to their clean clothes. Britney Spears has people who do that for her -- you being a celebrity will have to do it for yourself.

8) When you meet people at a shelter and they're not thru-hikers, be friendly and cordial. What, you think just because they're not thru-hikers they don't deserve your conversation and you can sit in the corner and be aloof? If that's the case, your thru-hike has gone to your head and that likely means you probably won't be one of those who finish. The percentages against you finishing your AT thru-hike are already stacked way against you -- Why would you upset the gods?

7) Every single trail maintainer that you meet along the Trail - thank each of them. Tell them how much you appreciate what they do for the Trail. It doesn't take much effort to thank trail maintainers you meet along the way -- so be friendly and thank each of them for their work. You, as an AT thru-hiker, wouldn't even have had the opportunity to take on this great challenge without the work of the trail maintainers. So wise up and realize quickly the world does not revolve solely around you alone.

6) If you currently make six figures, bring $200 in twenty dollar bills along with you to specifically give to someone you meet who will be in need. Carry it in your backpack and don't spend it. Don't even think about it. You'll find, somewhere along the Trail, maybe not even until you reach Maine, how you can help another who has been less financially fortunate. Don't make a big deal out of it, don't talk about it to anyone else. You'll know positively when the time is right to utilize that $200 in cash to help another.

5) When you're approached by tourists and they don't know what the Appalachian Trail is about, take time out to talk with them and tell them about that footpath that runs all the way from Georgia to Maine. It will be a highlight of their vacation and will be one of such a great number of memories you'll treasure later when your AT thru-hike is completed. There's more than a good chance they'll want to get their picture taken with you so be gracious and stand there with them while someone else takes the photo. Then, take a photo of them so you have that memory captured for later.

4) It doesn't matter how much you think you're a celebrity - if you leave a mess in the shelter or a bunch of food or garbage in the fire ring you're a di.. I mean, you're disrespectful of the Trail where so many people have worked hard to make available to di.. I mean, people like you.

3) When you get to the ATC Headquarters in Harper's Ferry, be especially kind to the people there who work in the building. Most are volunteers who give their time freely to keep the gears working at the Headquarters. If they want to document your hike for a couple of moments (for statistical keeping, not because of your celebrityness) - let them. Get your photo taken if the volunteers wish to take your photo and put it into the ATC photo books.

2) Do not harangue people who have skipped sections of the Trail or those who are calling themselves thru-hikers who are not. I know you'll eventually figure this out but -- it doesn't matter when you're hiking. Why burden yourself with the actions of others? What, the burden of climbing and descending mountains every day isn't already enough of a challenge for you that you have to take on the problems of others as your own? That makes you more important? Makes you more of a celebrity? It doesn't. It lessens your experience. It will make the Trail more difficult for you.

1) Smile. Always smile. When you walk up to a shelter full of people, smile at them when you arrive. It'll be contagious! Smile like you are the luckiest person on the planet because you're able to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Guess what -- you are.

Datto

Great stuff. I was with you til the "pinky thing".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

It's your one chance in life to feel like a rock-star. Well a homeless rock-star, anyways. And yeah you're not gonna have hot groupies, but whatever, people will buy you beer and let you stay in their house. Pretty much like being a rock-star.

Images

get over yourself....
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

+1 good thread

I don't see how i could ever leave a motel room even as clean as i found it, but the housekeeper has the tools to do it. Always have lots of trash, and i will carry it out myself sometime, but i choose to just leave a tip with the amount dependant on the mess left.

I always considered myself considerate... I'm just not a housekeeper, maybe I'm a slob who doesn't clean their motel room. Guilty.

Just to clarify, i mean motel/hotel and not a hostel. Cleaning up after yourself at a hostel is different.

Images

Great article Datto !!! At times...we all need reminding!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Thanks, Datto! Another great addition to the Datto Papers.

When I stay in a hotel, I leave a tip for the cleaning staff. Note to self: Leave bigger tip.

Bravo Datto!! Great stuff! I was with a thru-hiker when he was approached by someone wanting to take his picture. It was GREAT!! We were in the Smokey's near Newfound Gap. Sometimes it's inevitable near "tourist" places.

Beautifully said, Datto! I'll keep your tips in mind when I start my thru-hike in early March.

a good read. imo, the people who inspired you to write this are the "thru hikers" who eventually become section hikers....whether they stop at Hiawassee, Franklin, Damascus or Front Royal. Based on my experience, I believe that 98.87645% of actual thru hikers folllow your guidelines.

thru-hiker wannabes are a dime-a-dozen. hardly "celebrities"

CF97 > Everything Else.

Good stuff!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Very nice. Thank you or putting this together.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Summed up? "Get over yourself, and follow the golden rule." Nice post.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Summed up? "Get over yourself, and follow the golden rule." Nice post.
    nice summary. it's a shame that it (the original post) needs to be written but as someone said above, there's a whole lot of wannabees out there. these are the people that cause people to write posts such as Datto's, not the actual thru hikers. but the people that need to heed the advice unfortunately won't.

Images

A great article Datto it's all about human kindness, and sometimes that can get you through........It's all in the mind :-)

If you'll want to be "celebrities", then do a tour on a bike. Can't get away from all the crazy-stupid questions by going into the woods. Non-stop insane questions....

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    If you'll want to be "celebrities", then do a tour on a bike. Can't get away from all the crazy-stupid questions by going into the woods. Non-stop insane questions....
    Especially when you walk into that redneck bar with your spandex.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I think there's a difference between a "wannabe" and an "attempter". The wannabe always has an excuse why not. The attempter is actually trying to make it.

The pinkie thing: can I only use my right one? The left one doesn't work too well with my tendon problems in the left hand. Otherwise, I liked the article!!!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++