WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Insoles?

Have plantar faciatis soon as I get new boots or shoes the inserts come out sole's go in.

Images

So could somebody please tell me what is the disadvantages of using Insole ?

If insoles are all good( which I think they are) why every hiker is not using them. It seems a very solid investment for hikers to avoid injuries and pain and blisters by spending 20 to 40 extra dollars .

Journal Entries
    Images

My Podiatrist recommended Powerstep - I did start with Spenco - he switched me and I won't go back
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    So could somebody please tell me what is the disadvantages of using Insole ?

If insoles are all good( which I think they are) why every hiker is not using them. It seems a very solid investment for hikers to avoid injuries and pain and blisters by spending 20 to 40 extra dollars .
    Every person is made differently, including their feet. Some people do just fine with the manufacturers insoles. Only replace the insole if your finding problems with your feet, knees, back, etc. In my case, I found that I needed something with more arch support to prevent knee pain so I got new insoles. The only way to tell if you need something different is through trial and error. Go hike some long distance days with your manufacturer insoles, if you have problems (with the above issues), try changing insoles before you change shoes or go to the doc.; $30-50 insoles are a hell of a lot cheaper than new shoes or a doc. visit.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

I've owned 4 pair of Merrell Moab hiking shoes in the past 2 years. For every pair I've immediately tossed the Merrell insoles and replaced them with Dr. Scholls Gel Sport insoles. The Dr. Scholls insoles have worked perfectly for me, and are available at just about any drugstore along the AT for around $18.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    Every person is made differently, including their feet. Some people do just fine with the manufacturers insoles. Only replace the insole if your finding problems with your feet, knees, back, etc. In my case, I found that I needed something with more arch support to prevent knee pain so I got new insoles. The only way to tell if you need something different is through trial and error. Go hike some long distance days with your manufacturer insoles, if you have problems (with the above issues), try changing insoles before you change shoes or go to the doc.; $30-50 insoles are a hell of a lot cheaper than new shoes or a doc. visit.
    That is the whole point. I am sure some do just fine with manufacturer insoles but sometimes doing just fine does not cut it. In a thru hike any weakness in body or gear or approach or attitude or mentality would be exposed and exaggerated and then sometimes it is too late to address the issue after the fact.

Images

Has anybody used this magnetic insoles?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-1Pair-Sho...ht_3272wt_1271

Once I had a pair but never used them but my brother started to use them and he gave me a very good feedback about them. I think there should be some benefits using them.

Journal Entries

Most shoes are poorly designed for the foot, and for walking, and for running
    Peoples feet vary considerably, at best any shoe design is a compromise

Your foot adapts to whatever you wear, it actually changes your foot, and the way you walk
    Most peoples feet and natural biomechanics are already compromised from a lifetime of wearing really poor shoes
    Joint alignment from the ankles, to the knees, to the hips, and even back, are affected

Depending on how F'd up your feet and body is already, some things can help put things back in alignment.

This isnt about the foot, its about the whole body

Some benefit from the hard plastic arch in the superfeet insoles
    Other people just want some underfoot cusioning
    Other people just want something that makes their foot more stable in the shoe, and move around less

lots of different needs, reasons.
    Know what yours is before you start wasting money on insoles thinking they are a must

I buy new soles immediately. Usually the green Superfeet.

always throw out the insoles that come with new boots. They are useless.

I'd recommend replacing with Spenco or shock blockers.

Chris10 and everyone else, Im sure you know this, but take what poeple say with a grain of salt. Below for instance.....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    always throw out the insoles that come with new boots. They are useless.

I'd recommend replacing with Spenco or shock blockers.
    Stick to what MuddyWaters said here, "This isnt about the foot, its about the whole body......lots of different needs, reasons.
    Know what yours is before you start wasting money on insoles thinking they are a must".

Again, my problem was low arches causing knee issues......I found that superfeet green worked well to fix that problem. ID your problem then go from there, search the interwebs and forums (many others, not just this one). Eventually you will find a good insole to suit your needs and possibly fix the problems your having; luckily, I got it on the first try.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Journal Entries

Personally, I have hard plastic orthotics that cover the rearmost 2/3 of my foot
    I wear them in every pair of shoes, every day, for last ~ 20 yrs
    My feet are molded to the orthotics.
    I got these because my arches had fallen, I had plantar fasciatis
    Got them fitted to me by a guy that did it for lots of pro athletes to increase their balance and performance, and put joints back into proper alignment.

It took weeks to be tolerable to wear more than 30 min. It felt like golfballs under my feet. About 6 months for my feet to totally mold to the orthotic, and put arch back into my foot, where I felt no discomfort after wearing all day.

I remember vividly, not being able to wear my $$$ cowboy boots because it hurt my arches after they collapsed
    I remember my $$$ custom footbeds in my $$$$ ski boots hurting my arches after they collapsed

All problems solved after a few months with the orthotics.

Happy feet ever since. Every pair of shoes fits the exactly the same way
    No blisters, no problems.I can feel the edge under the middle of my foot. Doesnt matter. No blisters, no problems.
    I just slide them into shoes, on top of the insole thats there.

Now and then there will be a pair of shoes I try on that just doesnt work with them, too narrow at arch, too much arch built in, but thats not common.

This is basically what will happen to you with hard inserts like superfeet. Your feet will shape to them, then every pair you put on, will fit the same.

I had intermittent plantar fasciatis from age 18-22, then when I was lifting really heavy weights, it got so bad I couldnt take a step in the morning when I got out of bed.

Not one bout of it since I got the orthotics. 20+ yrs pain free.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-06-2013 at 20:45.

Yeah, forgot to mention, depending on what insole your using it will take awhile to get use to. Like MuddyWater said, your feet will have to form to them and it hurts for while. When I was trying to find insoles I heard of many people giving up on insoles before their foot got use to it because they thought everything is suppose to be better immediately and didn't realize that their foot has to adapt to it.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Just a year or two shy of 50, I totally understand replacing the insoles for medical reasons/injury prevention, but what about teens, and say those in their 20's. would they still need insoles for comfort, or are the manufactor's fine?

Hmm....I've just been putting insoles right over the standard ones. Is there an advantage to removing the stock insoles?

TreeNerd, great advice!

Thanks

I always use "after market" insoles - Cadence insoles. The best combination of support and comfort on the market and I have tried them all! I use them in all my shoes, hiking, running, working, etc. Not because I have a pain or foot problems but because they feel great, fit my foot perfectly and I can stand or walk longer without the little aches and soreness that comes from being on my feet so much.

Images

For years I used the factory insoles that came with the boots or shoes. Then I switched to Spencos which helped relieve a minor knee ache and in recent years I switched to the Montrail Moldable (thermo mold) insoles to try and help cure a bad case of plantar faciitis. I'm about 70% better after a year. I can't say if the improvement is due to the insoles or time, but the problem is continuing to get better. I could never go back to the factory generics.
    My podiatrist looked at the moldable Montrails and said he doubted that he could make a better custom insole for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    My Podiatrist recommended Powerstep - I did start with Spenco - he switched me and I won't go back
    I started with Superfeet (after I lost my custom orthotics in a move), and was happy with them until I got a pair of Chaco boots (they only make sandals now) which came with two pair of fantastic orthotics. After I wore them out I went back to Superfeet, buying a new pair of orange ones (my feet are very flat, plus I appreciate the extra padding). I never felt comfortable with them after using the Chaco inserts.
    I had been having pain between the first and second metatarsal, so I went to a podiatrist who suggested that I try Powerstep insoles, which I did.
    They are superior to the Superfeet (for my foot type, ymmv).
    I wore them out and had to switch back to the Superfeet for my Md. hike a couple of weeks ago.
    I didn't have any foot pain, per se, but I felt that the arch was too far back.
    I've been wearing the Superfeet at work - can't stand them for my job, which involves standing in one place for long periods of time (I only sit down for lunch).
    I will be buying a new pair of Powerstep insoles when I get my next check.

http://www.powersteps.com/consumer_products
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    For years I used the factory insoles that came with the boots or shoes. Then I switched to Spencos which helped relieve a minor knee ache and in recent years I switched to the Montrail Moldable (thermo mold) insoles to try and help cure a bad case of plantar faciitis. I'm about 70% better after a year. I can't say if the improvement is due to the insoles or time, but the problem is continuing to get better. I could never go back to the factory generics.
    My podiatrist looked at the moldable Montrails and said he doubted that he could make a better custom insole for me.
    Please explain logic behind making a mold of a bad foot, and how that might fix the foot that way.
    It would prevent it from getting worse possibly.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-08-2013 at 20:45.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++