WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Beware fleecing in the towns

Trail town 'characters' like Ron Haven run businesses don't forget that. Ron told us (and everyone) the San Ran Motel in Robbinsville had a free shutte in and out and $40 hiker rates, they actually charge $5 pp each way and have $70 room rates no hiker rate. We had some bad experiences in Neel Gap too, the shuttles tend to pretend to be free until you buckle up. The San Ran 'forgot' to mention fee until we got to town and took our stuff into our room before his wife 'could make it down to ring us up' then they hit us with the rate. Dishonesty seems to be part of 'southern hospitality' here. Ask and demand rates and prices and if u can stay out of town.

Journal Entries
    Images

Folks I came back to this first posted and removed the original post for posterity. As this thread progressed it really went bad for a new member Boogie Monster as Ron Haven runs a great business. The real whiner here is BM. He should have asked before getting in the car and could have refused.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-08-2013 at 21:39.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I would have hitched and gone to the cleaner Microtel, or resupplied hitched out and camped. my bad for trusting false advertisement. The purpose of this post was a reminder that as helpful as people who own the businesses here try to seem they still want as much of your money as they can get. Don't assume. Also to correct Ron Havens misinformation he is giving in Franklin.

Images

Is the San Ran Motel one of Ron's. I ask because I dont recall it being mentioned here and I only know of the Budget Inn and the Sapphire Inn in Franklin and the Budget Inn in Hiawassee, Ga. If thats the case how can he be fleecing you or anyone? Your post isnt exactly clear, but it seems like he gave advice on another hotel that might not have been accurate. If my interpretation is correct that sounds more like a mistake, not really fleecing.

Regardless isnt it your responsibility to know and agree on terms before services are provided?

And whats the beef with folks running profitable businesses? Southern hospitality doesnt mean we have to get taken advantage of either.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Is the San Ran Motel one of Ron's. I ask because I dont recall it being mentioned here and I only know of the Budget Inn and the Sapphire Inn in Franklin and the Budget Inn in Hiawassee, Ga. If thats the case how can he be fleecing you or anyone? Your post isnt exactly clear, but it seems like he gave advice on another hotel that might not have been accurate. If my interpretation is correct that sounds more like a mistake, not really fleecing.

Regardless isnt it your responsibility to know and agree on terms before services are provided?

And whats the beef with folks running profitable businesses? Southern hospitality doesnt mean we have to get taken advantage of either.
    Well said.
    Seems like that thru-hiker entitlement syndrome just seems to kick in earlier and earlier each year

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

When I hiked the Sheltowee Trace Trail last month I was told that Charit Lodge (a hostel in Big South Fork) had $19 hiker rates...

I hiked in just as it was getting dark and the caretaker built a fire in the hostel's wood stove, fixed a great big dinner for me and the 2 other guests and gave me a towel and some soap for the shower.

Before I went to bed I asked if I could go ahead and pay because I'd be leaving the next morning before dawn and he said "Sure, that's $75."

It didn't occur to me that he was ripping me off.. My first thought was about kicking myself for not asking what the price was *before* I started receiving services.

It's not just in the south it is all along the trail and I actually thought the south was cheaper. I didn't blame them for their shuttle prices. Gas is expensive and your on their clock. I also made it the whole way without having to pay for a shuttle but also did a lot of extra walking.

Really simple, ask the price before committing to the service. If you don't like the answer, move on. Trail providers aren't your friends, most are running a business and you are a customer, nothing more.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    When I hiked the Sheltowee Trace Trail last month I was told that Charit Lodge (a hostel in Big South Fork) had $19 hiker rates...

I hiked in just as it was getting dark and the caretaker built a fire in the hostel's wood stove, fixed a great big dinner for me and the 2 other guests and gave me a towel and some soap for the shower.

Before I went to bed I asked if I could go ahead and pay because I'd be leaving the next morning before dawn and he said "Sure, that's $75."

It didn't occur to me that he was ripping me off.. My first thought was about kicking myself for not asking what the price was *before* I started receiving services.
    How did he come up with $75? Hostels are meant to be cheap. If I paid $75, I'd want a hotel room.

There's a big sign out front that says HOSTEL and they have a hostel style bunk room with nothing but beds...

It's more like a low-end Mt. Leconte from what I gather. In fact, the same company that has the contract for Leconte had the contract for Charit Creek but they let it go.

http://www.charitcreeklodge.com/

Look negative people, we were told wrong, lots of people were. I posted this to let others know. We were intentionally misled. Hasn't been the first time, no entitlement here just looking for some upfront honesty. Businesses have. Right to charge what they want but its not cool to advertise on a bus panel and have the recipient of the ad money tell everyone wrong. Lots of know it alls on these threads who aren't even out here. Not helpful to be rude people.

I think the message you were trying to give was lost in the presentation.... You could have said the same thing differently and I suspect had 100% agreement (rare though it is on WB... )

there should not be ANY hiker rates for anything. charge em' full price just like any tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Monster View Post
    Look negative people, we were told wrong, lots of people were. I posted this to let others know. We were intentionally misled. Hasn't been the first time, no entitlement here just looking for some upfront honesty. Businesses have. Right to charge what they want but its not cool to advertise on a bus panel and have the recipient of the ad money tell everyone wrong. Lots of know it alls on these threads who aren't even out here. Not helpful to be rude people.
    When you make sweeping and judgmental statements like "Dishonesty seems to be part of southern hospitality" on a forum, you can expect some push back from folks who don't feel the same way. Don't confuse "hospitality" with "business for profit". You said you had problems at Neels Gap, in Franklin, and Robbinsville, virtually every stop that you've passed through since Springer. Maybe all you need to do is just take a little more time beforehand to make sure everyone on both sides of the deal understands up front what is free and what is a paid service?
    btw, if you continue on the trail, you are going to encounter plenty of "hospitality" in the form of hiker feeds, trail magic, etc. as you make your way northward. Good luck and I really do hope you have a successful and enjoyable hike.

id pay 5 bucks for a ride with almost 4 dollar a gallon fuel. Thats almost a non profit deal.

Journal Entries
    Images

What did the people checking you in say when you informed them Ron Haven had told you and many other hikers hat the San Ran rooms would be just $40?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Ron's shuttle policy can be found here:http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com...st_Shuttle.htm

I stayed at two of Ron's hotels and was pleased with the service. He is reasonable and up front with his costs.
    I'm sure Ron didn't intentionally give you incorrect information on the shuttle cost. I don't believe he owns or operates the San Ran Inn in Robbinsville. At least he does not list it on his website. He posts here occasionally, maybe he'll weigh in.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Like any hotel if there is a "convention" in town the special rate does not apply. I talked to the San Ran this morning and they quoted $50+tax for a single hiker in the room. Just remember that everything is negotiable if you negotiate before the service is provided. I'm sure Ron Haven would not have misled you on purpose and if had been one of his motels he would have honored his word.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Never had a problem with any of the places or people mentioned in this thread. I think a lot of this starts with trail magic. You start giving thru hikers free stuff right from the start and before long they start to feel entitled. I wish the magic would start further down the trail to help weed out the freeloaders.

Journal Entries
    Images

After seeing the ad and understanding what is happening, I question why we are having the discussion, I offer a "free bedbug inspection" but if I find them I am not going to do a free treatment. And sometimes its carpet beetles in the bed. Ron is running a business and gas & time to a limited group of hotels is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Really simple, ask the price before committing to the service. If you don't like the answer, move on. Trail providers aren't your friends, most are running a business and you are a customer, nothing more.
    Ditto many of the same things were said if you internationally travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    When you make sweeping and judgmental statements like "Dishonesty seems to be part of southern hospitality" on a forum, you can expect some push back from folks who don't feel the same way. Don't confuse "hospitality" with "business for profit". You said you had problems at Neels Gap, in Franklin, and Robbinsville, virtually every stop that you've passed through since Springer. Maybe all you need to do is just take a little more time beforehand to make sure everyone on both sides of the deal understands up front what is free and what is a paid service?
    btw, if you continue on the trail, you are going to encounter plenty of "hospitality" in the form of hiker feeds, trail magic, etc. as you make your way northward. Good luck and I really do hope you have a successful and enjoyable hike.

good post TW, BM you were not intentionally misled, but you certainly are not having the right conversation or interacting with the drivers.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++