WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default This Search and Rescue takes the cake!

Strong creek currents leads to water rescue.

SODDY DAISY, TN (WRCB) -- Local law enforcement was dispatched to a water rescue after a strong current tied up a group of hikers.

Officials from Hamilton County Sheriff's department, Hamilton County Water Rescue and the Hamilton County Fire Department were dispatched to the rescue.

Rescuers on the scene say the hikers crossed a strong current near the North Chickamauga Creek gorge and on the return trip were afraid to get their electronics wet.

Hamilton County Sheriff's deputies say that was not the case and the hikers called the sheriff's department when they were afraid to cross a particularly strong current.

No injuries were reported.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21902624...lectronics-wet

Images

Wow. I wish the sheriff's department had rescued the electronics and left the hikers to make their own way out. ;-)
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

HA! I'd love to hear the rescuer's take on the situation.
    This is a scary crossing. If it's where I think it is, it's in a location where the bridge was recently swept downstream. I did Maine in a very wet year, and this ford was trickier than those. If the hikers didn't know what they were getting into, I can definitely see it being a problem. However, I don't understand the phrase "on the return trip." Did they ford it once, and then decide they didn't want to do it again? What is up with that?

The North Chick can be dangerous, but its not like this surprised them. There are two crossings that I know of, the main creek which is wide and pretty shallow right now, and a side creek with a large cable for a handrail. That one is really slippery with moss and a nice 20' dropoff if you fall. Still no need to call rescue, although I guess thats better than a couple dead hikers. A beautiful day like this, I bet if they would have just hiked upstream a short bit they could have found an easier crossing.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Good contribution, but the cake-taker for me is the guy who activated his SPOT, only to have the heli come and find him doing fine. He had to be somewhere and was late getting back to his car. If I was in that rescue, I'd have had a hard time not slapping him. I could only imagine how incensed that SAR crew must have been.
    We are all one big human family.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Good contribution, but the cake-taker for me is the guy who activated his SPOT, only to have the heli come and find him doing fine. He had to be somewhere and was late getting back to his car. If I was in that rescue, I'd have had a hard time not slapping him. I could only imagine how incensed that SAR crew must have been.
    Sad to say it, but there should be some sort of required training class and licensing required to buy a SPOT.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

++ New Posts ++