WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wood buring stove can?

I have seen hundreds of alky can stoves. Has anyone tried to use a can for a wood buring stove. or is it to soft?

It can't be aluminum, which will melt, even burn, but cans totally work, but need to be large. Traditionally I think the original Hobo stoves were those big coffee cans. A big Apple Juice or Tomato Juice can will work, but it is still a little small for really cold winter conditions, like 0 deg F. That's if you want to keep it simple. If you can make charcoal as you go, or are guaranteed dry fuel, or have a proven insulated and gasifying or top down burning design, you can go smaller. Combining wood with alcohol or vegetable oil burners might also allow you togo smaller. Have fun.

Images

Apple juice or tomato juice cans work as a wood stove but they will not last long. Couple of days and they are consumed and softened by fire.

Thanks guys for the info

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Joe at ZPacks has some info ... http://zpacks.com/accessories/ministove.shtml. It looks like he used the tin-can windscreen setup for a lot of his PCT hike. http://zpacks.com/about/pct_gear.shtml
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I fequently make what we call a "Appalachain Trail Flame Thrower" Take a coffee can and punch some holes in it and make a handle like a paint can has from a coat hanger. Pack it with a pine cone and some small hunks of wood. Once it starts to burn clip or tie a short rope to the handle and start swinging it around your head quickley and the air is forced into the holes in the can. You can get even wet wood to burn this way.

Images

ditto on the coffee can. I tried going to wood burning, but the smoke killed that desire, and the nasty tar buildup on my pretty pot.

Paint can.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Paint can takes up too much room... Pretty pots need liquid soap, here is an early test

dscf2702fix.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Paint can takes up too much room... Pretty pots need liquid soap, here is an early test

dscf2702fix.jpg
    Paint cans come in all sizes:

Paint cans.jpeg

and the metal is heavy duty compared to food cans.

Nice stove you have there.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I don't have a link to give you, but if you hunt online you should be able to find directions to make a DIY wood stove made out of two cans (one inside the other) that is very similar to a Bushbuddy stove. Steel cans will last for many burns but are not the lightest or most compact option, though the price is right.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I don't have a link to give you, but if you hunt online you should be able to find directions to make a DIY wood stove made out of two cans (one inside the other) that is very similar to a Bushbuddy stove. Steel cans will last for many burns but are not the lightest or most compact option, though the price is right.
    The outer can can even be aluminum, it doesn't have hot coals sitting directly in it.. But the weight of the steel for the inner can, and the aggravation of dealing with a wood-fired stove, has always put me off from trying this one. Alcohol give me a stove that Just Works, and I don't have to soap my pot.

When I was out with 1azarus about a month ago, he made me a cup of hot chocolate with one of your wood stoves. That was neat. (I then made him curry. Over alcohol.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The outer can can even be aluminum, it doesn't have hot coals sitting directly in it.. But the weight of the steel for the inner can, and the aggravation of dealing with a wood-fired stove, has always put me off from trying this one. Alcohol give me a stove that Just Works, and I don't have to soap my pot.

When I was out with 1azarus about a month ago, he made me a cup of hot chocolate with one of your wood stoves. That was neat. (I then made him curry. Over alcohol.)
    trying to curry favor, are you?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    trying to curry favor, are you?
    No, just favor curry.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    ditto on the coffee can. I tried going to wood burning, but the smoke killed that desire, and the nasty tar buildup on my pretty pot.
    "Back in the day" we used to rub the outside of the pot with Ivory soap to keep the soot and tar from sticking. Liquid soap works too, but can be messier. I'm a metal-worker by trade, and several years ago, I took some of our scrap metal at work (18 or 20 gauge, I think) and made a wood-burning stove...basically a can-within-a-can...it drafts like CRAZY and burns sticks up to 5" long and as big around as your thumb. I used some expanded steel mesh to keep the fire off of the bottom of the stove; when the mesh burns out, I can replace it. Unfortunately, the darn thing is WAY TOO HEAVY for backpacking, so I use it for car camping and as an emergency stove in the back of the truck.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Default Paint can

I have mad a DIY wood stove with a paint can and a Progresso soup can with mesh in the bottom that holds the fuel off the bottom of the paint can. It is a quart can that fits in the side pocket of my pack and it has a pot stand made from a tuna can that nests.

Soot is not really a problem, I put the pot in a cozy when done heating water and that is where is stays while I eat and packed up.

The design for the wood stove was from a YouTube video from Yankee Prepper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=8-xJxJthwuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I don't mind the soot on my pots. Actually, I prefer it. The dark color helps the pot absorb more heat more quickly. It lives in it's own stuff sack so it doesn't make the rest of my pack insides sooty.

As for the OPs original question - no. I have never seen a wood stove made out of an aluminum soda can. Just too thin.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

++ New Posts ++