WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My spice rack depends upon what meals I have planned.
    Salt, pepper, season-all, lemon/pepper, italian seasoning blend, dry lemon zest, dry orange zest, and sprigs of rosemary......which I love to toast on the fire and nibble.

I just bought one of those GSI Missile spice bottles (carries 6 spices). I have: salt, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, and oregano.

I love Montreal steak spice.
    It helps bland food taste delicious!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Images

Quote Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
    Currently carrying truffle oil and scotch bonnet hot sauce (the hotter the better - then you only need one drop), as well as a lemon garlic spice mix, an italian herb mix, and some salt! Covers all my favourite bases
    WOW, Truffle oil!! I think I'm going to bring truffle salt on my next trip. Thanks for the truffle idea. I much prefer the white truffle by the way. Also I like to include instant Miso soup in a packet. I either have it as a hot salty drink at the end of the day before dinner or use it as seasoning in a noodle dish.

Images

Got one of those cheap double shakers, Mrs. Dash in one side, cayenne pepper in the other.

Dried Wasabi peas add a nice kick to any dish, and how!

Garlic Pepper. If the mood strikes then maybe go look for some wild onion or chives in the woods.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Dried Wasabi peas add a nice kick to any dish, and how!
    Love Wasabi Peas, never thought about adding them to anything. They'll be in my next bowl of ramen!

Fennel seed and Spanish paprika add some interesting flavors, but nothing beats garlic, cumin, or cayenne pepper. Salt/pepper of course too.

No spice kit. I enjoy pre-making my meals by adding my own dried spices and mailing resupply boxes or when buying along the way will pick up some fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, clove of garlic, small bunch of green onions(or one small Vidalia(sweet onion)), a small Himalayan salt rock(which I scrape into trail dishes), No MSG low salt Soy Sauce Packets(free at Chinese food or sushi places, if I ask nicely sushi places will often freely give me Wasabi and pickled ginger too!, Wasabi and mashed potatoes equals YUMMY, Wasabi can also commonly be purchased as a dried powder), dried Miso soup packets which can be eaten as soup or used to flavor foods such as Ramen(I trash the MSG/salt laden packets that come in Ramen) or mashed potatoes, dried seaweeds(Nori sheets are commonly found even in places like Walmart, CHEAP!), Dried red Pepper Flakes(free at Pizzerias and those selling Italian foods, I also pick up dried Parmesan Cheese Packets and Dried Basil for free in the same places), and perhaps a few packets of pepper(everywhere). Nice to have packets, a squeeze tube, or small screw cap container for EVOO too for both flavor and the extra cals or nut butters(peanut, almond, hazelnut, cashew, macadamia, etc). Also in small squeeze tubes in the produce section are herb blends.

The same way I bring flavor and variety to dinners through spices and these additions I do to reg quick cook oatmeal, millet, and amaranth for a hot b-fast on cold weather treks. It's amazing how different oatmeal can taste by different additions. Cinnamon, dried fruits, nuts, seeds(sesame, flax, hemp, chia(saba), sunflower, pumpkin, etc), coconut flakes(I picked up some dried coconut milk(Hydro Coco) and put it with some dried fruits and nuts in my oatmeal and it's so scrumptious!), crystallized ginger, protein powders, dried milks, Butter Buds, nut butters, powdered dried chocolates(I like sweetened cacao nibs), etc can REALLY LIVEN UP plain old oatmeal! Since my bro orders in bulk at a STEEP wholesale discount I've lately been experimenting with oatmeal and other dishes by adding dried powders such as Acai, Camu, Flax, Goji, Hemp, Maca, Maqui, Mesquite, and Pomegranate offered by Navitas Naturals. You might try these too!

Tabasco....

Quote Originally Posted by susiecruise View Post
    WOW, Truffle oil!! I think I'm going to bring truffle salt on my next trip. Thanks for the truffle idea. I much prefer the white truffle by the way. Also I like to include instant Miso soup in a packet. I either have it as a hot salty drink at the end of the day before dinner or use it as seasoning in a noodle dish.
    My ex was the Chief Executive Officer in the Savory Flavors Division of a Fortune 500 multi-national food and fragrance conglomerate - International Flavors and Fragrances. Truffles, and hence REAL 100% TRUFFLE OIL, are rather rare and VERY pricey stuff - upwards of $60 per ounce! Only a few companies actually offer the BEST REAL 100 % Truffle Oil. Most of what is offered as Truffle Oil are LABORATORY CHEMICALS that taste and smell like REAL Truffle Oil infused into Olive Oil or in a few rare cases actual Truffles are infused into Olive Oil. DO NOT expect to find REAL 100% Truffle Oil in your local grocery store. Between her, my brother who has a PHd in Nutrition, my other brother who has worked with two of the world class Nutritionists who advise Olympic athletes, and what I've learned through my own nutritional and food related research you would be COMPLETELY ASTONISHED with what goes on with food particularly in the industrial agriculture and consumer driven capitalist country food sectors. All is not as it seems!

I went to a beer and bourbon convention in Maryland and bought this seasoning called Bayou Todd's Dirt. Its like oldbay but for steak and chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My ex was the Chief Executive Officer in the Savory Flavors Division of a Fortune 500 multi-national food and fragrance conglomerate - International Flavors and Fragrances. Truffles, and hence REAL 100% TRUFFLE OIL, are rather rare and VERY pricey stuff - upwards of $60 per ounce! Only a few companies actually offer the BEST REAL 100 % Truffle Oil. Most of what is offered as Truffle Oil are LABORATORY CHEMICALS that taste and smell like REAL Truffle Oil infused into Olive Oil or in a few rare cases actual Truffles are infused into Olive Oil. DO NOT expect to find REAL 100% Truffle Oil in your local grocery store. Between her, my brother who has a PHd in Nutrition, my other brother who has worked with two of the world class Nutritionists who advise Olympic athletes, and what I've learned through my own nutritional and food related research you would be COMPLETELY ASTONISHED with what goes on with food particularly in the industrial agriculture and consumer driven capitalist country food sectors. All is not as it seems!
    Very true, always trust your sources when it comes to pricey goods. Urbani's of NY offer real truffles, oils and salts. Beware of the black truffle as most are raised in China. Saltworks offer a very tasty white truffle salt that as one seasoning, adds a lot of savory flavor.

Slap-Yo-Mama

I've been putting Bad Byron's Butt Rub on just about everything I've been cooking lately. I'm not sure if it's sold everywhere or not. May just be a southern thing.

red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, all mixed-up in a spice container.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

LOL. Bad Byron's Butt Rub......that can stand for a lot of things!

just some salt. makes anything i could eat at least tolerable. sometimes i'll pick up some pepper packets from gas stations, etc.
    all of us have a place in history. mine is clouds.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Little salt, more black pepper, Adobo, hot sauce, garlic powder, good brandy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++