WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Scheduling my arrival to BSP from Minneapolis

I was hoping I could get some eyes to look at my schedule and any helpful advice for my arrival to Baxter State Park.

First, I would like to start the first weekend of July. With that in mind, I can leave Minnesota one day and climb Mount Katahdin the next. Is there an ideal day to start on the weekend? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? They are all options, but if climb on Friday, I leave on the 4th of July. Maybe travelling one day and hiking the next is not a good idea?

My schedule would be planned as followed:

DAY 1
    -------
    03:30 - Wake
    06:00 - Arrive at Minneapolis airport
    07:25 - Depart Minneapolis
    11:10 - Arrive in Boston
    13:35 - Depart Boston on Concord Coach Lines
    18:30 - Arrive in Bangor
    18:30 - Depart Bangor on Cyr Bus Line
    19:40 - Arrive in Medway
    19:40 - Depart Medway on Appalachian Trail Lodge shuttle
    20:00 - Arrive in Millinocket
    22:00 - Sleep at Appalachian Trail Lodge

DAY 2 - Times are have not been figured out yet, but I imagine it is all doable
    -------
    ? - Wake
    ? - Depart Millinocket on Appalachian Trail Lodge shuttle
    ? - Check-in at BSP
    ? - Ascent Mount Katahdin
    ? - Descent Mount Katahdin
    ? - Sleep at Katahdin Stream Campground

I would avoid the holiday weekend, there are a lot of dayhikers that make the run up. If you go earlier in the week, it will be less crowded on the trails. You need to book a site at katahdin stream or Abol ASAP on the BSP site. I would suggest a bunkhouse as its buggy tenting or in a lean to and least cost. The local wildlife is very good at grabbing food making tenting more difficult. Folks with cars have trunks to put their food in but hikers dont. (its far less of an issue once you get out of the park). Realistically you have a one in three chance of having a good weather on Katahdin, it may be worth having a buffer day figured in, if the forecast is poor hang out in Millinocket and recover from the plane ride and go the next day. The folks at the lodge can advise on the likelyhood of good weather a day in advance. If you are in shape its a 6 to 8 hour hike round trip. If you are hauling your entire pack up Katahdin, consider goin up Abol and down the AT (AKA the Hunt Trail) if you are using a park daypack it would require bit of planning but the folks at the lodge can assist.

The next days hike out of the park is easy, mostly downhill and pleasant walking, take your time as getting the Hurd Brook is not that difficult. If you can avoid the temptation to hike way to many miles the first few days, you will not regret it.

+1 on avoiding the weekend and holiday crowds....

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I knew it was the holiday, but I didn't consider the crowd. I've made quite a few plans around work, housing, bills, etc. with the assumption I would be leaving that weekend.

Won't I be encountering crowds in other parts of the trail too? How will the crowd at Mt. Katahdin differ from those crowds? Unfortunately, I don't think I have an option to change my start weekend so it's best if I can understand what to expect.

Expect loads of people, ( section, day hiker's and some early NOBO's) But instead of spending your first night at Katahdan stream campground, stay at the Birches ( only if you a SOBO thru). Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    But instead of spending your first night at Katahdan stream campground, stay at the Birches ( only if you a SOBO thru). Good luck and have fun.
    I thought the birches were reserved for NOBO or hikers that have put 100+ miles on? Also, by making a reservation at Katahdan stream campground don't I guarantee myself a spot, where I won't have a guarantee with birches?

Journal Entries
    Images

Per Baxter SP webpage, The Birches is limited strictly to Northbound long distance or thru-hikers and is limited to 1 night. I would suggest making a reservation at Katahdin Stream CG for one and possibly two nights. If for only one night choose the night after climbing Katahdin.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

++ New Posts ++