WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Mountain House #10 Cans - 25% Off

At www.theepicenter.com. Through 21 Apr. Came across it on another site.

Question: Anyone bought a can (or several) and kept it (or them) for 2-3 years before eating? I was wondering if I should buy a few for my 2016 attempt. I like the pasta primavera and a few others.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

25% off is a good deal but not a great deal if you have to pay shipping or sales tax. If you buy in quantity, 6 cans of the same product, then shipping is free. I have bought from this site and found them reliable. Most MH cans have a 25 year shelf life! I think the meat is a good deal and may be more expensive in the future. My favorites are ground beef and chicken and also any plain vegetable or fruit. I would not buy too much of this stuff unless I had tried it before and knew I liked it. The mixes tend to be very salty. You also need a cool dry storage area. Keep in mind that campmor and rei usually have discounts on food if you buy a certain quantity, though they do not usually have #10 cans of meat. I have used cans that were more than ten years old and not stored in the best temperatures and found them to be still good. I have also had many foil packages that were still good beyond the expiration date.

Images

Thanks for the additional info, Grayfox. I plugged in 3 cans for my zip code and it came out to about $3 per can shipping, which I don't think is too bad. I may go ahead and order 3-6, just for hurricane season(s) and for prep for my 2016 attempt.
    Old Hiker

This is a pretty good deal but depending on what you actually like you may want to check out prices on Amazon. Especially if you don't want to buy 6 of them.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    At www.theepicenter.com. Through 21 Apr. Came across it on another site.

Question: Anyone bought a can (or several) and kept it (or them) for 2-3 years before eating? I was wondering if I should buy a few for my 2016 attempt. I like the pasta primavera and a few others.

Thanks for the tip. Mountain House is my favorite. My wife and I just finished off a #10 can of Chicken and rice last week on a campout. Great stuff. Rehydrates in 2 min to my liking.

We also finished off a #10 can of Granola with Blueberries and Milk

So today, thanks to your tip of the day, I ordered a case of each, Granola with Blueberries and Milk and ChickenRice. Great savings on the product and FREE shipping.

Thanks Old Hiker

Images

P.S. we've had cans of MH on storage shelves for years and when used they taste fresh as the day they were bought. We love their products. Emergency Essentials has good deals also at times. Watch their site once in a while.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    This is a pretty good deal but depending on what you actually like you may want to check out prices on Amazon. Especially if you don't want to buy 6 of them.
    I compared single cans on Amazon - I'm a Prime member with free shipping and the prices on Epicenter ARE about 25% off. Haven't seen anything on Amazon (at least MY flavors) that are cheaper.

Zelph, luck of the web surf. Hope it works out.
    Old Hiker

Images

Zelph, luck of the web surf. Hope it works out.
    My wife searched the web this morning after I informed her of your information and she found nothing that came close to matching Theepicenter price for case price. It was a pleasant coincidence that we were at a reorder point since returning from our camping trip last week. We have great extended plans for this year to be out and about visiting various campgrounds and trails. Last year we were anchored down as campground hosts. This year we are free to go

after paying property taxes we'll see if we can swing another couple cases while they are on sale. Thanks again for letting us know about the "luck of the web surf" My teeth are showing because I'm smiling, saved some big bucks today.

My question is.....after the 10# can is opened does it help to put the remainder in the freezer in individual portions?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelgator View Post
    My question is.....after the 10# can is opened does it help to put the remainder in the freezer in individual portions?
    Yes, that will be the thing to do. You could go one step further and add a small packet of oxygen absorber.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Try Costco on line as well, they sell it here in Canada and it's free shipping. They also have(in Canada) a brand of freeze dried fruits and veggies that are absolutely delicious. The name of the product is Thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Yes, that will be the thing to do. You could go one step further and add a small packet of oxygen absorber.
    Thanks for the reply. And what a great idea to add the oxygen absorber!

Images

There is going to be another sale 1st week of June.(they sent me an email. I purchased 2 cases during the first sale)

OldHiker take notice on the 33% saving on the Pasta Primavera

"Just in Time for Father's Day Sale" at TheEpicenter.com!
    25% OFF all Mountain House #10 Cans
    Our Mountain House Can Sale starts on SATURDAY, JUNE 1st for ONE WEEK ONLY

To celebrate Father's Day, why not treat Dad to some great tasting Mountain House food with a 25+ year shelf life! Great for long term storage, camping trips, hunting trips, and even multiple day fishing trips!

25% off sale prices will be published on our website only during the authorized sale period which runs from Saturday 6/01/13 through Friday 6/07/13.

For this sale, we are also able to offer an additional savings on the following #10 cans:

• Uncooked Egg Mix (save 40%)
    • Raspberry Crumble (save 33%)
    • Chicken Alfredo (save 33%)
    • Lasagna with Meat Sauce (save 33%)
    • New Orleans Rice with Shrimp & Ham (save 33%)
    • Pasta Primavera (save 32%)
    • Sliced Strawberries (save 30%)

We will continue to offer Free Shipping* for Full Cases of Mountain House Cans (6 of same item); nominal shipping charges will apply for single-can quantity orders.

Please share this announcement with your family and friends! Don't miss these SUPER LOW PRICES during our one-week manufacturer-authorized Mountain House #10 Can sale.

From the entire staff at TheEpicenter.com, we send our best wishes to all. And, a Happy Father's Day to all Dads and congratulations to all Grads too!

TheEpicenter.com
    Epicenter Supplies LLC 384 Wallis Street #2 Eugene, OR 97402 Telephone: 541-684-0717 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, Pacific Time)

* Free Shipping Offer only for shipments to Lower 48 States; shipping charges will apply for orders sent to Alaska & Hawaii (Alaska/Hawaii customers, please call us at 541-684-0717 to place your order).

p.s. No advance orders please. Due to our agreement with the manufacturer, Mountain House #10 can orders received prior to or after this sale period will be at full manufacturer-authorized pricing.
    Last edited by zelph; 05-20-2013 at 22:06.

Images

Thanks for heads-up, Zelph! I'm looking to increase the hurricane prep closet, as well as prep a bit for 2016. May get more Primavera and at least a can or two of the others.

I've tried MH scrambled eggs - probably not the same as the uncooked ones, but I gotta have more of a discount than that to buy one! Or more! Bleah !!
    Old Hiker

Images

When we break open a #10 can to use for daily life I split the amount into canning jars & vacuum seal close using a jar attachment (Foodsaver). Depending on what the food product is I may add an O2 absorber if I know that it will be more than 3 months before I open the second half of the #10.
    Second Thrive brand.

Images

Mountain House has the best flavors IMHO. I got a case of Chicken and Rice and one of Blueberry Granola. I repackaged a can of each into the aluminum lined bags seen in this recent video:

The bottom part of the bag would make a nice compact folding bowl.

Images

Just ordered a case of assorted #10 cans of goodies.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

++ New Posts ++