WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shining Rock Wilderness

I have a 4 day hike planned for the Shining Rock Wilderness area in about a week. I have never been there and there doesnt seem to be much useful info out there... I was hoping to get a few opinions and questions answered here.

1. If you have hiked thru this area, did you like it? Was it worth it? I heard it is a very crowded area which I dont like the sound of. Have you had experiences with too many people?

2. How is the water availability around there?

3. Did anyone have trouble following the trail?

4. It seems like alot of the hiking and good camping spots are along the ridgeline. Should I bring a tent or will I be ok with my hammock?

Thanks folks!

I have a 4 day hike planned for the ShiningRock Wilderness area in about a week. I have never been there and there doesntseem to be much useful info out there... I was hoping to get a few opinions andquestions answered here.

1. If you have hiked thru this area, did you like it? Was it worth it? I heardit is a very crowded area which I dont like the sound of. Have you hadexperiences with too many people?
    Yes, Yes,Yes, Not crowded but you will see people

2. How is the water availability around there?
    OK, Some of the ridges are dry

3. Did anyone have trouble following the trail?
    Not really

4. It seems like alot of the hiking and good camping spots are along theridgeline. Should I bring a tent or will I be ok with my hammock?
    Tent or Hammock will work, you will miss a few a thebetter campsites as there are only bushes around.

Thanks folks!

It is worth it to spend a night on Cold Mountain. There is camping near the top and there is water on the way to the top. Although it is rumored, there is no water at Deep Gap.
    People do get turned around at Shining Rock Gap itself. There are no trail markers there, several come together and the the correct route is not really intuitive. You can hang out on a busy weekend and watch people have to loop around and retrace their route.
    Last year the forest service posted a warning about an aggressive bear and I think they actually closed camping at Shining Rock Gap. I don't know the specifics about the bear contact. I haven't been up there this spring--and that warning wouldn't stop me--but I would be aware.

Be aware if you are passing through Ivestor Gap which is practically at the Shining Rock outcrop that several trails branch off at the clearing and you can easily lose the main trail and not realize it. Because it is a wilderness, the trails here are not marked. There are some good campsites at the Gap under the trees, and there is small spring just down to the left about 100 yards before you approach the gap going north. There is a photo and hand drawn map of the trails on this web site:
    http://www.southeastclimbing.com/climbing_areas/north_carolina/cold_mt.htm

Make sure you have the Nat Geo Pisgah Ranger District or the US Forest Service Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness Map and a compass and you will be fine. Lots of great trails and scenery ranging from balds to dense forest and streamside hiking. Several loop options from several trailheads and the option of a through on the Art Loeb Trail. One of my favorite places to hike. It was the place I took each of my three kids and my wife on their first trips. Have a great time.

It's a good thing hiking the AT doesn't require map reading skills. I suck at map reading. Bad. More on this later. We took advantage of a long Easter Break to practice important AT skills like wearing the same clothes for days, getting wet, being cold, peeing in a bottle and being attacked by rodents. We hiked in the Shining Rock Wilderness area near Brevard, North Carolina. Trails in wilderness areas are not marked with signs or blazes. Faded maps mounted on plywood at trailheads are the only guidance the government provides. On day one we quickly lost track of tail near the Big East Fork River and bushwhacked a few miles until we rediscovered it. No harm, no foul. As the trail climbed, the effects of a lingering snowfall made for slippery going. When we reached the amazing cluster of intersecting trails at the top of the knob, I used the handy photo an online friend provided to choose the right trail, The Art Loeb Trail towards Cold Mountain. Holy ****. Although our intention was to follow the trail north to the Daniel Boone Boy Scout camp we missed the cutoff thanks to a group of tents conveniently pitched right on top of the diverging trails. That's OK folks,. We'll just walk right on up this 6,000 foot mountain in the snow and sleep there. Which we did. In the morning we descended from three inches of snow to no snow, found the right trail and mostly didn't get lost for the next nine hours. Then we arrived at Ivestor Gap and Grassy Cove where we spent the night. In the morning Hush smiled at all the cute little rabbit poops and then screamed in anger when she saw her trekking pole handles, gnawed beyond recognition. Mine, just a foot away were untouched. I'll spare you all the poor decisions we made the next day. Just know we hiked across the top of the same waterfall twice, crossed a river that knocked me down again and again and finally emerged onto the closed Blue Ridge Parkway a good seven miles from where we anted to be. It was kind of cool road walking the parkway. We went a couple of miles seeing no people and no cars. If the Zombie Apocalypse happens, I know where to go. I'm experienced. We finally hitched a ride from a patrolling ranger who delivered us to our car. From there we hauled ass to the Uwharrie National Forest to hike on a beautifully marked trail - just like the AT. In all we got in a four day hike and climbed a few mountains. Nobody whined. -“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* mountain.” - Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    It's a good thing hiking the AT doesn't require map reading skills. I suck at map reading. Bad. More on this later. We took advantage of a long Easter Break to practice important AT skills like wearing the same clothes for days, getting wet, being cold, peeing in a bottle and being attacked by rodents. We hiked in the Shining Rock Wilderness area near Brevard, North Carolina. Trails in wilderness areas are not marked with signs or blazes. Faded maps mounted on plywood at trailheads are the only guidance the government provides. On day one we quickly lost track of tail near the Big East Fork River and bushwhacked a few miles until we rediscovered it. No harm, no foul. As the trail climbed, the effects of a lingering snowfall made for slippery going. When we reached the amazing cluster of intersecting trails at the top of the knob, I used the handy photo an online friend provided to choose the right trail, The Art Loeb Trail towards Cold Mountain. Holy ****. Although our intention was to follow the trail north to the Daniel Boone Boy Scout camp we missed the cutoff thanks to a group of tents conveniently pitched right on top of the diverging trails. That's OK folks,. We'll just walk right on up this 6,000 foot mountain in the snow and sleep there. Which we did. In the morning we descended from three inches of snow to no snow, found the right trail and mostly didn't get lost for the next nine hours. Then we arrived at Ivestor Gap and Grassy Cove where we spent the night. In the morning Hush smiled at all the cute little rabbit poops and then screamed in anger when she saw her trekking pole handles, gnawed beyond recognition. Mine, just a foot away were untouched. I'll spare you all the poor decisions we made the next day. Just know we hiked across the top of the same waterfall twice, crossed a river that knocked me down again and again and finally emerged onto the closed Blue Ridge Parkway a good seven miles from where we anted to be. It was kind of cool road walking the parkway. We went a couple of miles seeing no people and no cars. If the Zombie Apocalypse happens, I know where to go. I'm experienced. We finally hitched a ride from a patrolling ranger who delivered us to our car. From there we hauled ass to the Uwharrie National Forest to hike on a beautifully marked trail - just like the AT. In all we got in a four day hike and climbed a few mountains. Nobody whined. -“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* mountain.” - Jack Kerouac
    Sounds like a great time!

It was indeed. And just to show how bad my land nav skills are, I had the Nat Geo map, the USFS map, a compass, a GPS and a smart person with me.

One thing, there are no fires allowed but there are fire rings everywhere, that and false trails to nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    It was indeed. And just to show how bad my land nav skills are, I had the Nat Geo map, the USFS map, a compass, a GPS and a smart person with me.

One thing, there are no fires allowed but there are fire rings everywhere, that and false trails to nowhere.
    I find that holding the map upside down works best inside Shining Rock

If you are going to enter the Shining Rock from the Blue Ridge Parkway on Black Balsam Road, be sure to take a look at the Graveyard Fields. It is fantastic in the fall and has two water falls in it. It would be a good place to camp the first night if you get a late start.

Shining Rock is a great place to hike and camp.

Thanks everyone!

I will have a Pisgah national forest map and compass. I will just have to make sure to pay extra attention to the trails.

Have also made contact with Pisgah rangers about the aggresive bear and they didnt seem to know a whole lot about it. Interesting...It is spring however and the bears a hungry. Will just have to go by the books on bear safety.

Im mostly worried about find adequate places to hang my hammock at night.

If anyone could comment on these spots we are planning to camp at and if I will be able to hang my hammock:

night 1; upper falls area
    night 2; investor gap area
    night 3; shining creek gap area

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    If anyone could comment on these spots we are planning to camp at and if I will be able to hang my hammock:

Thanks
    Ivestor Gap is bushy and bald. Shining Creek Gap will have good trees. You need to be North or South of Ivestor Gap for trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Ivestor Gap is bushy and bald. Shining Creek Gap will have good trees. You need to be North or South of Ivestor Gap for trees.
    Thats what I was worried about. One downfall to hanging I guess....This will be my first trip with my new hammock setup so I really want to take my hammock and not tent.

Any idea how far north or south of Investor I would need to be to find adequate trees?

Thats what I was worried about. One downfall to hanging I guess....This will be my first trip with my new hammock setup so I really want to take my hammock and not tent.

Any idea how far north or south of Investor I would need to be to find adequate trees?
    1/2 mile or less South on the Ivestor trail, maybe the same north on the Ivestor trail. It has been three years so the details are getting foggy.

1/2 mile or less South on the Ivestor trail, maybe the same north on the Ivestor trail. It has been three years so the details are getting foggy.

I hear ya. Thanks for the info Rasty! Any idea about hanging at the Upper Falls area?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian:1462388

I hear ya. Thanks for the info Rasty! Any idea about hanging at the Upper Falls area?
    Never been there.

Thanks
    The area that I mentioned in my early post as Ivestor Gap is actually called Shining Rock Gap. (This is what happens when there are no signs marking the trail.) It is the grassy spot where the various trails converge and is close to Shining Rock outcrop. There are camping areas and trees for hammock hangs and there is a small spring. If you are headed from this spot toward Tennant Mountain, there is also a nice grove of pitch pines right in the middle of the bald area that you hike through and is a nice spot for hanging. I recall that there were some “holes” with water in them on the west side of the grove; however, I don’t know how reliable a source they are as they appeared to be standing water. If you are following the Art Loeb trail, the total length of the treeless area is only about five miles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    The area that I mentioned in my early post as Ivestor Gap is actually called Shining Rock Gap. (This is what happens when there are no signs marking the trail.) It is the grassy spot where the various trails converge and is close to Shining Rock outcrop. There are camping areas and trees for hammock hangs and there is a small spring. If you are headed from this spot toward Tennant Mountain, there is also a nice grove of pitch pines right in the middle of the bald area that you hike through and is a nice spot for hanging. I recall that there were some “holes” with water in them on the west side of the grove; however, I don’t know how reliable a source they are as they appeared to be standing water. If you are following the Art Loeb trail, the total length of the treeless area is only about five miles.
    So you are reffering to Shining Rock Gap and not Investor Gap correct?

The plan for getting to Investor gap is coming in on the Art Loeb.

Correct, my original description was of Shining Rock Gap. If you are hiking Art Loeb headed in the direction of Cold Mountain, after crossing and descending Tennent Mountain Art Loeb converges with the Ivestor Gap Trail and then less than 100 yards Art Loeb forks off to the right and up through the pitch pine grove. On the other side of the grove and down the hill the Art Loeb runs into the Ivestor Gap Trail again. This juncture is Ivestor Gap. If you are planning on doing some more exploring of the area, a good book is The Best Hikes of Pisgah National Forest by C. Franklin Goldsmith. It has short write-ups and maps (but a little hard to read) of the various trails that wander through this area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++