WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I find that its more of a pain to use a bladder, though lighter than a Nalgene bottle for example, they are prone to punctures and leaking thru the bite valve, as well as cleaning/disinfecting the thing is a pain. I as well am not a fan of drinking like a gerbil as if I want to take mega gulps I can do that. Also, you can mix drinks in a Nalgene and as well use it to hold hot drinks, and cleaning/disinfecting it is easy. Weighs more....yes....but a Nalgene is more versatile than a bladder.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I replaced my bladders with Gatorade bottles years ago. Much lighter than Nalgene and no wondering how much you have left. Filling the bladder in the pack never worked. Either it was too compressed by everything else or it got more air than water in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Forget the bladder and Nalagene bottles..... it's all extra weight you dont need.

Opt instead for 32oz Gatorade bottles and for mass water, carry a nalagene canteen..... thin one that you can collapse. I got one from REI 96oz and like $10... used it carry water on hot days. Can grab water and pretreat it in the canteen too. Nice to wake up and have it ready and cool too.

I use Gatoraide/Poweraide liter bottles as well for my water, but a Nalgene is nice to have when the temperature plummets and you boil up some water (good also when purifing you water by boiling) and you got a nice hot water bottle on the bottom of your sleeping bag and something to drink and make breakfast in the morning.

I carry two 0.5 liter bottles. No exceptions.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I find I stay hydrated better if I can take little sips without even breaking stride, so I use bladder and hose. I also carry one Nalgene so that I have something I can put a hot beverage in, and because it fits the flange on my filter. In a well-watered area I might be carrying it empty.

If I need a fourth litre I use an empty soft drink bottle of some sort. I have a four-litre water carry coming up, I think. A stretch of trail in which all the water sources are 600-1000 feet of elevation loss. I'd rather carry a fourth litre than have to climb down and up that more than once a day to fetch water.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

We carry 3l bladders but I think I want to drop to 2l. I also pack a platypus .5l for cooking. I filter straight to it and use it to cook, then fill again to clean up. It works pretty good.

If you go with Platypus hosers you can use the hose on any of their bottles, even the little .5l.

I get thirsty easy and often so I use a bladder. The convenience of drinking sips all along is a game changer for me.

However, I also find the frustration of getting a bladder in and out of a hydration sleeve on most packs to be a huge pain - and one that I now avoid by not using the hydration sleeve. Depending on how full my pack is, the bladder goes in last on top of everything else (preferred) or gets strapped on the outside of the pack. I'm done unpacking and repacking half my goods because of poor hydration sleeve placement.

Of course, on the Osprey Aether, the hydration sleeve is accessed from outside the pack, which means my next heavy duty pack may be an Aether...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
    We carry 3l bladders but I think I want to drop to 2l. I also pack a platypus .5l for cooking. I filter straight to it and use it to cook, then fill again to clean up. It works pretty good.

If you go with Platypus hosers you can use the hose on any of their bottles, even the little .5l.
    I've found the 3 liter bladder lies much flatter and nicer in the pack filled to 2 liters rather than a 2 liter bladder filled up most of the way. Not a big difference in weight.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I've found the 3 liter bladder lies much flatter and nicer in the pack filled to 2 liters rather than a 2 liter bladder filled up most of the way. Not a big difference in weight.
    +1. The extra capacity is a good thing and is achieved for minimal weight/space.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I was going to try that next, I think my wife filled them to 3+ as they were fatter than a wiffle ball bat and wouldn't fit anywhere!

There's a simple drawback to hydration ports and bladder tubes etc --- they supply water as you hike when in fact I think water breaks are better done with off-pack reststops. A constant flow of water at every suck may be a pacifier solution but what's wrong with dumping the pack and sitting down for a few minutes and taking a water break? Take some time to pen a few thoughts in your trail journal. Stop and talk to a toad. Maybe we should also have attached urine port tubes to drain the bladder so we won't have to stop hiking.

I like those "dump the pack" situations to stop and have a snickers, clif, slim jim, whatever break. If they become too often they become tedious, hydration shouldn't be tedious.

I was in the Navy and served in the gulf. It was 130 in our engine room, seawater temps were 100+ degrees which meant a cold shower was 100+ degrees. I dehydrate pretty easy even though I would drink 1+ gallons in 2 hours down there. I need constant water, if I took a legit break everytime I would get nowhere. I am slow enough right now!

If that is what works though, who cares. I do agree that sitting down and taking a long swig of cool water is far superior to sucking on a tube, but on those uphills I am glad to have it!

GAME 06

Lots of variety in likes/dislikes.

I won't carry a bladder since they cannot be reliably cleaned in my opinion. Plus not having a bladder and that hose crap lets me be more UL.

Same with nalgenes or any other heavy bottles. No way I am carrying them when I get new gatoraide bottles every resupply.

I do carry empty platapus's for when I need big water carries. I have 4-6 gatoraide bottles with me out here in AZ depending on the hike and 2 platapus's. Nice thing about my new Aarn pack is I can access 4 of the bottles of water without taking off the pack if I want to drink while hiking. Can also get to a full days hike of food the same way. Front pockets are really nice.

For everyone having a hard time refilling their bladder, I'd recommend using a Fast Fill Adapter. It connects to your hose and allows you to refill your bladder from there. You won't need to dig out your reservoir anymore. The one I use is designed to connect to my sawyer squeeze but you could easily use it on a platty bag.

Link to Fast Fill Adapter: http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sa...ck-adapter-kit

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I haven't hiked that area, but I cut the hydration bladder pocket out of my pack to save a couple of ounces. I just use bottles in the side pockets, and have a 2 liter platypus softside bottle that rolls up and stores small. I use the 2 liter if I need the extra carrying capacity or for my overnight camp.
    I took my 100 ounce hydration bladder out of my pack and replaced with 2 x 2 liter roll up platypus'. Saves weight and space when empty and gives me more when I need it. Also the bite valve was not giving me the water flow I wanted. I get refreshed quicker when I use a bottle.
    Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 05-21-2015 at 13:45.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Here's my take on the matter:
    I like a Nalgene because I can put boiling liquids in it and it's basically indestructible. But I'll only ever need one.
    I like a bladder because it's easier to drink while hiking, rather than stopping every few miles. With a WidePac (zip-top) opening, I don't find it difficult to fill.
    I like collapsible bottles because they take up very little space when empty and hold a lot of water for practically no weight.
    I like disposable bottles because they are easy to replace, rigid, and weigh nothing.

How do I reconcile this?

I carry one of each. Or, I can mix and match to suit the trip. I'd never only carry one kind, though, so I have the versatility to solve any problems that come up.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

This may sound like bad advice, but trust me on this. Before you spend lots of money on expensive stuff, go to Wally World and grab a cheap bladder setup to try it out. Some people just don't like the feel of the hose near their neck or having t bite down on a valve. Others prefer to actually see the water they are using. So don't rush into something like a bladder system that costs an arm and a leg until you are sure it is something you like. And I've used the Wally World bladders for years, they are rather well made and now they insulated hoses that prevent the water from getting hot in the tube or letting the water freeze in the tube.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    +1, only I haven't cut up my pack yet.
    +2, haven't cut my pack, either. FWIW, I tried the drinking from the hose thing and didn't like it. I found I drank less because I was sipping just enough to keep my whistle wet. I prefer to camel up, and fill a liter (two if I'm unsure of finding frequent water) for the next hour or two of hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    +2, haven't cut my pack, either. FWIW, I tried the drinking from the hose thing and didn't like it. I found I drank less because I was sipping just enough to keep my whistle wet. I prefer to camel up, and fill a liter (two if I'm unsure of finding frequent water) for the next hour or two of hiking.
    And this is why I said get something cheap from Wally World rather than gettign the expensive stuff up front. The great thing about the stuff from there is it isn't too expensive, and will at least last long enough for you to see if you like it enough to upgrade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++