WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Way to Cold to Sleep.

After struggling for months to find a hammock suspension system that was satisfactorily reliable and a simple I found the Tri-glide system from Jacks'R'Better which I LOVE and as a result this past weekend I decided to fully "test" the hammock and suspension at South Mountains State Park (NC) since I'd only setup in the yard a few times early this spring.

The weather called for 45* lows and mid-60* highs... unfortunately for me the temps PLUMMETED at dark. The recorded lows were somewhere near 35*-37* with a consistant 3-5mph breeze. I had on a wool toboggan and long thermal underwear, I was sleeping in my 40* bag which I quickly! realized was not sufficent.

This is my first trip using a hammock in early spring and it was an eye-opener to just how cold a hammock can be in sub-40* temps with or without a slight breeze... I have heard a bit about under/top quilts to keep warm (which I assumed were more sub-30* neccessities not sub-50*) but I am also interested in other methods and equipment you guys use to stay warm while keeping lightweight?

Thanks.

Images

i need a pad or under quilt below 70. my pad fails below 30. my underquilt has been to -10 degrees. a bag works fine as a top quilt.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by rgardn12 View Post
    After struggling for months to find a hammock suspension system that was satisfactorily reliable and a simple I found the Tri-glide system from Jacks'R'Better which I LOVE and as a result this past weekend I decided to fully "test" the hammock and suspension at South Mountains State Park (NC) since I'd only setup in the yard a few times early this spring.

The weather called for 45* lows and mid-60* highs... unfortunately for me the temps PLUMMETED at dark. The recorded lows were somewhere near 35*-37* with a consistant 3-5mph breeze. I had on a wool toboggan and long thermal underwear, I was sleeping in my 40* bag which I quickly! realized was not sufficent.

This is my first trip using a hammock in early spring and it was an eye-opener to just how cold a hammock can be in sub-40* temps with or without a slight breeze... I have heard a bit about under/top quilts to keep warm (which I assumed were more sub-30* neccessities not sub-50*) but I am also interested in other methods and equipment you guys use to stay warm while keeping lightweight?

Thanks.
    As Kayak Karl says, I need some kind of under insulation below about 70. I've used a pad (thin Walmart pad) to the mid 40s, but I sleep cold (meaning that I need more insulation than average). I use a bag as a topquilt.

You are going to need insluation underneath you. If you have a pad, you can try that out but there will be a lower limit for you. Eventually you will want to buy a quilt. There are 2/3 length underquilts but I like the full length ones.

Hammocks are more comfortable but are not a light weight option. Yuo can lighten up but a tarp/ground cover/pad/quilt combo is the UL standard

I've never really had a problem with my 40* bag and hammock down to 67* give or take a few (if I remember correctly) so I guess I sleep warm as is... but I can 100% agree that below that I've got to have something, I already have a thin ground pad I could use in a test or at least until I can invest in a underquilt...

quick question... has anyone ever designed a quilt that would essentially cocoon a hammock and fufill the role of both top and bottom quilt?

Images

I've never really had a problem with my 40* bag and hammock down to 67* give or take a few (if I remember correctly) so I guess I sleep warm as is... but I can 100% agree that below that I've got to have something, I already have a thin ground pad I could use in a test or at least until I can invest in a underquilt...

quick question... has anyone ever designed a quilt that would essentially cocoon a hammock and fufill the role of both top and bottom quilt?
    Check out Speer hammocks. I think they may have the system you are describing.

Images

I use a closed cell foam pad as soon as the lows get below 70 or 75 -- which is pretty much all the time in the mountains. My current pad is a torso length cut from the wallyworld blue foam pad. It covers from my neck to just below my butt. It's warm down to 50 or so, and survivable down to 40. I've used a full length CCF pad down into the 20s with great success (the 25-inch wide Ridgerest XL.)

Just using the bag with no pad or underquilt is a recipe for becoming a popsicle. The insulation in the bottom of the bag is crushed into uselessness by your body weight -- same as sleeping on the ground, which is why people use pads there, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I was never able to get warm enough to be comfortable in my Hennessy. I had to finally admit hammocking was not for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Check out Speer hammocks. I think they may have the system you are describing.
    yep, speer peapod
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Hammock Gear makes some great stuff. I have their 0* incubator and man does it work... like sleeping on an electric blanket. I just bought their burrow top quilt. You can keep your current bag and open it up to use as a top quilt, but eventually you might want to look at a real top quilt, which are often a lot lighter/less bulky than comparable sleeping bags. moving to a top quilt saved me a pound.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

This, gathered end only:

http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/sleeping-bag
    We are all one big human family.

I use my Hennessy when its warm and love it. I use my tarp in the non buggy shoulder seasons. When it is cold I use, and recommend a tent for warmer, lighter, shelter.

That Grand Trunk Product is the exact concept I was attempting to "sketch" the other day it's sad that its so "over built" that it weighs in at 2.5lbs! if the idea catches on I don't see why the UL community won't figure out how to cut that weight in half (and double the price for good measure) but at the time a good 40* 3/4 length UQ paired with a standard top quilt is only around 1.25lbs for sub $300.

For the time being I think i will be purchasing the Pheonix 40* UQ from Hammock Gear I've heard good things about the company and I figure that with that UQ and my 40* Bag I'd be good for just about any 3 season hanging i do on a regular basis...

At some point I may invest in a lighter top quilt to replace my bag. But keep the suggestions coming I appreciate any new ideas!

Also just out of curiosity for those that used the closed cell foam pads, has anyone tested to see how "low" you can comfortably go with one of the Thermarest Ridgerest SOLite or Z-lite SOL style pads? Thought since many if you say down to 50s with a standard pad maybe the "reflective coating" actually might work like the advertise (lol I know I may be delusional Right!?) and that could push down into the 40* areas...

A closed cell foam pad will be a great addition, but to experience the full comfort of the hammock with the warmth, a UQ does the trick.
    TJ

I just did 50 miles on the first week of april from springer to unicoi and three guys I was hiking with all had hammocks. It would get in the thirties at night and a few of them were complaining about getting too cold and the wind. One guy had a military style foam sleeping pad that he put inside the hammocks and kinda molded it to the shape of the inside. He was very happy and warm. The foam seem to insulate and wind block very well. Another guy had a under quilt but he still was cold. I do not know what their sleeping bags were rated for. For the price and weight I would give it a test.

When you first start using an underquilt, it helps to get a partner who can help with the set-up so there's no gaps to allow movement. Can make the difference between a good night's sleep and dealing with cold spots.

Meant to say 'no gaps to allow air movement'.

I'm good with just a 25F sleeping bag down to about 65F. A CCF pad (blue wally) to about 35-40 in the Sierras. But sometimes I'll wake up with freezing feet in the middle of the night cause I moved the pad lol. I haven't tried the pad any lower, and I made myself an UQ last winter, so I'm not going to tempt it .

But my UQ, with 2" of loft, was too hot for August in lowland Massachusetts (~550').

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++