WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lets talk SOBO...

Lately I haven't found much interesting stuff on the forum and thought I would start a thread for this years SOBOs. A place to get in touch with each other before we start. Post anything on your mind or anything you want to discuss with other SOBOs for 2013.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Unfortunately were going to miss this

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/promo/trail-to-the-moon
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Tree Nerd... I'm not good at finding existing threads but I think there's a thread called SOBO's Unite or something like... someone else may find it for ya.

This is a great way to "talk" to other SOBO's. Good idea- TN!!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Tree Nerd... I'm not good at finding existing threads but I think there's a thread called SOBO's Unite or something like... someone else may find it for ya.

This is a great way to "talk" to other SOBO's. Good idea- TN!!
    Yeah I know about it and posted in it, its only a list of people that are hiking SOBO. Stuff like trail names, starting dates, etc. I was leaning more toward, just talking about whatever this year SOBO's wanted to talk about.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

well im down to talk are you ready or what!!?? http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12564 heres my first real list i finished last night any advice. ill make a video if anyone would like

Who wants to split a shuttle to the moon? ;P

I'm getting really anxious and excited, as my hike starts in exactly 2 months! No joke! I've already had a dream about day 1 being cold and rainy with hurricane force winds, so hopefully it can only get better from there!!

If anyone has questions about the Whites, I spent the last 2 summers working at AMC shelters, so I'd be happy to do my best to give helpful answers!

Hope everyone's preparations are going well!
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Quote Originally Posted by EriKelly View Post
    well im down to talk are you ready or what!!?? http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12564 heres my first real list i finished last night any advice. ill make a video if anyone would like
    Your looking good. Im at 25lbs so I think Im the wrong person to ask advice from lol. If I had some more money I could easily get to 15....I know where my weight is and how to get rid of it, but it takes money.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjaime View Post
    Who wants to split a shuttle to the moon? ;P

I'm getting really anxious and excited, as my hike starts in exactly 2 months! No joke! I've already had a dream about day 1 being cold and rainy with hurricane force winds, so hopefully it can only get better from there!!

If anyone has questions about the Whites, I spent the last 2 summers working at AMC shelters, so I'd be happy to do my best to give helpful answers!

Hope everyone's preparations are going well!
    Your lucky to start so early.....whats the deal with AMC shelters? Any advice on how to lock-in a stay for work?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Did you look here?
    Yes. Again, this was intended to be something for 2013 SOBOs to talk about whatever they wanted to for this year; something that would continue on, not just a Q&A thread.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Generally, my advice is be kind to the caretaker(s)! We actually do work really hard, but we also can be lots of fun. What a caretaker doesn't want to hear: Thru-Hiker: "HUFF HUFF HUFF Got work for stay? HUFF HUFF HUFF" Say Hi, maybe swap a story about the day. Its part of basic trail etiquette: don't just expect people to give you everything because you're a thru-hiker. Maybe ask if the caretaker has any bigger projects that they could use help with, especially if you're willing to give a little back to the trail that gives you so much!
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-

Generally, my advice is be kind to the caretaker(s)! We actually do work really hard, but we also can be lots of fun. What a caretaker doesn't want to hear: Thru-Hiker: "HUFF HUFF HUFF Got work for stay? HUFF HUFF HUFF" Say Hi, maybe swap a story about the day. Its part of basic trail etiquette: don't just expect people to give you everything because you're a thru-hiker. Maybe ask if the caretaker has any bigger projects that they could use help with, especially if you're willing to give a little back to the trail that gives you so much!
    Thanks for the input
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Whats your plan for a sleepingbag? Taking one for the entire trip or switching? If switching when?

Im taking a marmot sawtooth 15* to start and I haven't decided if I will take it the entire trip, I may end up switching to my 40* then back to my 15* near the end.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

8 weeks left! Just scored a sweet deal on a brand new fleece that a friend didn't need, so I'm finished with my gear! What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-

What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.

I'm taking my old kindle! It's lightweight, stays charged for a month and I feel like I've cut enough weight to slip it in. Plus I'm going solo so I hope it'll be a good boredom buster if needed. Glad I'm not the only book worm on the trail.

Less than two months to Katahdin! I'm nervous, excited, ready and anxious! Can't believe I'm finally getting to go!

8 weeks left! Just scored a sweet deal on a brand new fleece that a friend didn't need, so I'm finished with my gear! What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.
    Probably one of the heavier things in my pack that I DONT need is my journal. A friend of mine made it for me, put a bunch of pictures in it and had a bunch of family, friends, and professors write in it. Between reading out of it and writing in it, this will consume my downtime.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    Whats your plan for a sleepingbag? Taking one for the entire trip or switching? If switching when?

Im taking a marmot sawtooth 15* to start and I haven't decided if I will take it the entire trip, I may end up switching to my 40* then back to my 15* near the end.
    I'm bringing the same bag!

Quote Originally Posted by wesleygalles View Post
    I'm bringing the same bag!
    You trying to keep it for the entire trip or switch out with a summer bag for a little?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    Your looking good. Im at 25lbs so I think Im the wrong person to ask advice from lol. If I had some more money I could easily get to 15....I know where my weight is and how to get rid of it, but it takes money.
    I am in the same place. 25 and I could easily cut down if I had a loose 800$.

Journal Entries

question to sobo's, what trails do you plan on taking to get to the summit of Katahadin? i am planning a section soho hike and am trying to figure out how to do the Helon Taylor to Knife Edge trails. my biggest issue is how late in the year can you get someone to get you in the park in the early AM to start? are the park entrances gated?

second question: where does the IAT start? at Katahdin or Katahdin Lake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++