WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sawyer Squeeze Mod for Platypus soft bottles?

I would have sworn I saw somewhere on the interweb a modification where you take the washer out of the Sawyer squeeze intake and replace it with something, possibly another washer, and it will make the sawyer squeeze work with Platypus soft bottles and bladders.

Does anyone know if its possible or how to do it. I really don't want to tear apart my water filter and find out I was wrong.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I would have sworn I saw somewhere on the interweb a modification where you take the washer out of the Sawyer squeeze intake and replace it with something, possibly another washer, and it will make the sawyer squeeze work with Platypus soft bottles and bladders.

Does anyone know if its possible or how to do it. I really don't want to tear apart my water filter and find out I was wrong.
    Two of the women in my group had the Sawyer Squeeze system. Each filter had a slightly different design. Both of my friends started with the Sawyer bags and all of the bags had seam failure that allowed dirty water into the already filtered water. So they both switched to Platy bags. Not every Platy worked though. But they each found a Platy bag that did work.

The Badger had also had his Sawyer bag fail and he used a 1 Liter Orange Fanta bottle the whole rest of his hike.

I don't think you have to modify the filter (I'm pretty sure none of them did), but you do have to do a little trial and error to make sure the bag or bottle you end up with will fit and screw on tightly without leaking.

Also, Sawyer was not helpful to either of my friends, wouldn't replace anything and when the filters clogged almost completely, Sawyer just said they should have been backflushing them after every single use. So, backflush every time, and I'd add that you should pre-filter the water with a bandanna if it has anything at all in it (including swimming parasites). Those will clog a filter immediately (I know from experience).

The Sawyer bags are definitely the weak link! Solution? Don't get in a hurry. Yes, it is advertised as a "squeeze" so you think squeeze the bag to force the water through - not a good idea. The bag seam near the fitting will not hold up to very much pressure.

I have learned, take it easy, don't squeeze - just hold it up and let gravity do its thing. It is not much slower - I'm not sure if it is even any slower. Works great and my current bag is lasting very well.

I've heard that the new ones have a better bag, but I haven't seen one yet.

Not sure if this will help

garden hose washer from any hardware store

Images

You can add another washer. It's a gamble that it will continue to work though. I would not take that gamble, but gamble your own health, goyh. Fwiw, the new Sawyer bags are supposed to be a lot better and resolve the durability issues with the old bladders. They're still cheap too. Mountain Laurel Designs is selling this. This is how I'd resolve the problem.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=200

Images

I had heard they redesigned their bags to not break so easily. We bought one last year and have had no problems with it yet, but I asked at the store when I saw the new bags looked different.

I believe some (not all) of the failure problems might be due to impatient people squeezing them too quickly as opposed to letting the water drain itself through the filter while squeezing gently..

Evernew bags work well with my sawyer. I think sawyer must have changed the designs on the filter, mine doesnt have the o-ring like some of the older ones.

I have a Sawyer Squeeze that I bought from REI in 10/2012.

I bought a 1 liter Platypus from REI last month 4/2013. It fits the Sawyer Squeeze & doesnt leak. I have read Platypus redesigned the 2013 version, because of all the complaints that it didnt fit the Sawyer & people were trying to get the Evernew bottles which worked but have been out of stock in the USA for months.

BTW, the Sawyer also fits on the Smartwater bottle fine.

Since, however, the pores on the Sawyer are so small (which is the thing tho, thats makes this a safer (lightweight) filter), I would prefilter with a plain jane paper coffee filter, or a bandana, so as not to clog/ruin the Sawyer (& try to prevent having to backwash it so much).

If anything, the Sawyer backwash syringe, can also be used to irrigate wounds (so if you carry it, it at least can serve double duty).

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    You can add another washer. It's a gamble that it will continue to work though. I would not take that gamble, but gamble your own health, goyh. Fwiw, the new Sawyer bags are supposed to be a lot better and resolve the durability issues with the old bladders. They're still cheap too. Mountain Laurel Designs is selling this. This is how I'd resolve the problem.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=200

changing the washer would in no way affect the operation of the filter. you can replace the internal washer if it ever falls out, as well as put a washer on bags/bottles that don't mate well to prevent leaks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    changing the washer would in no way affect the operation of the filter. you can replace the internal washer if it ever falls out, as well as put a washer on bags/bottles that don't mate well to prevent leaks.
    Read again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    I bought a 1 liter Platypus from REI last month 4/2013. It fits the Sawyer Squeeze & doesnt leak. I have read Platypus redesigned the 2013 version, because of all the complaints that it didnt fit the Sawyer & people were trying to get the Evernew bottles which worked but have been out of stock in the USA for months.
    I've heard that too, but unless they're going to publicize it and give it a different model #, I'm not going to bother with it. I don't want to gamble and end up with the hassle of doing a return or exchange or having another Platypus that has no place in my system. I think it'd be great if that rumor was true, but it shouldn't be up to the customer to confirm it.

See if you can find an evernew one. I know mountain laurel designs has them in stock. I got mine from greatoutdoordepot. Im sure other places have them as well. It seems solid.

Is this the redesigned filter? I used a sawyer squeeze on my thru last year and the supplied bag broke before I got outta NH. I had a platy bag on me (I think the 2L bag) and just used that. It does screw into the filter, but you have to make sure the threads are just right...it does take some trial and error. As far as the filters being completely clogged and back-flushing; this makes absolutely no sense to me. I used the same filter for an entire thru and only back flushed 2, maybe 3 times. I would always think to do it when going into town, but always forgot. How often are they using this filter and what kind of water are they putting into it? I mean, I used only that filter for 2200 miles and it never clogged...It did, however, freeze...oops!

Kidchill do you still use it after it froze? Ive been wondering about that

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carry-On View Post
    Two of the women in my group had the Sawyer Squeeze system. Each filter had a slightly different design. Both of my friends started with the Sawyer bags and all of the bags had seam failure that allowed dirty water into the already filtered water. So they both switched to Platy bags. Not every Platy worked though. But they each found a Platy bag that did work.

The Badger had also had his Sawyer bag fail and he used a 1 Liter Orange Fanta bottle the whole rest of his hike.

I don't think you have to modify the filter (I'm pretty sure none of them did), but you do have to do a little trial and error to make sure the bag or bottle you end up with will fit and screw on tightly without leaking.

Also, Sawyer was not helpful to either of my friends, wouldn't replace anything and when the filters clogged almost completely, Sawyer just said they should have been backflushing them after every single use. So, backflush every time, and I'd add that you should pre-filter the water with a bandanna if it has anything at all in it (including swimming parasites). Those will clog a filter immediately (I know from experience).
    Is that common? and what the hell are we supposed to back flush with?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have the older version bags and have not had a problem yet but I am very gentle with putting pressure on the bag. Squeezing the bag doesn't seem too increase the flow very much as others have said. I use the Smartwater bottles also and have seen some hikers using the smartwater bottle as their dirty reservoir and attaching to the filter using no bags at all. I have a Evernew bladder as a backup that I picked up from traildesigns.com. They look like they are currently in stock.

To Wise Old Owl - there is a syringe that is included with the filter that you use to backflush the filter.

I watched a video of a thru hiker that said he backflushed his by putting clean water in his mouth and forcing it through the sawyer squeeze, he said he only did it like 3 or 4 times on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ponderer View Post
    To Wise Old Owl - there is a syringe that is included with the filter that you use to backflush the filter.
    I dumped to syringe and picked up a tornado tube and a couple of hose washers.

Once I fill my platy with my squeeze, I flip the whole thing over and squeeze the platy for a second to back flush.

Works like a charm and keeps my platy from falling over when I fill it with the squeeze filter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++