WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Start Dates.

Default Start Dates.

So when are all you guys starting? I am starting quasi-early, sometime in early July maybe even last few days of June.

So when do y'all plan on starting? Hopefully I'll see some of you guys I trail, always nice to have someone to talk to.

Clint

Looks like the middle of June for me.

Clem, you expecting to hit a lot of snow?

I'm expecting snow. I've been watching the snow levels carefully. Hopefully there won't be a lot of it but that's when I have time to do the hike so I'll take whatever comes. I don't mind hiking in snow. I usually prefer it to hiking in the rain.

Images

29 Feb 2016.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Wait and see. Middle of June is generally not bad. This snow is a blessing...but we still have to see what May brings.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'm about thirty miles south of Monson and have been snow free for about two months. I am leaving on fri. from Monson. Gonna skip kathadin. Not interested in waiting for the park to open.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earli bird View Post
    I'm about thirty miles south of Monson and have been snow free for about two months. I am leaving on fri. from Monson. Gonna skip kathadin. Not interested in waiting for the park to open.
    Hey Early Bird,

The other posters were actually talking about the Colorado Tail. But good luck on your hike.

Images

MaybeClem: I'm planning a mid-June start. I, too, have been keeping a close eye on the snow levels since I had to skip ahead on the CDT in 2011 due to deep snow between Rabbit Ears Pass (Steamboat Springs) and Encampment WY, though 2011 was a very high snow year. I've been keeping a spreadsheet to compare this years snow levels to those in 2010 when I went through the South San Juan's fairly early reaching Wolf Creek Pass on June 11. Some of the days I was making only 1 mph over the snow. North of Wolf Creek Pass, the snow was lower and I made good time. So far, this years snow depths on Postholer look favorable compared with 2010 for my planned start date of June 18th, though there have been a number of storms dumping significant snow in Summit County (Breckenridge area). I haven't booked my airline ticket yet, so I have some flexibilty.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

handlebar - what kind of footwear did you use on that CDT hike? 1 mph days... I know what that's like. Do you have any other recommendations for a snowy CT start?

Images

Well I was wearing heavy boots, LaSportiva Makalu's, both in 2010 thru the S San Juans and on my second chunk when I was walking on 8-10 ft of snow between Rabbit Ears Pass and Buffalo Pass. I had microspikes for traction, but only needed them and the ice axe on a few occasions, although I did need to kick steps a number of times. For this June, I'm still hoping the snow pack will have mostly melted. I know the snow in the Weimenuche and San Juans is well under what I encountered in 2010 and am hoping there will be a fast melt of the snow in Summit County. Right now I'm planning on hiking in Brooks Cascadia trail runners, but that can change as conditions warrant. There's no use worrying about that now. It's about 60 days until I get to that point and by then much or most of the snow pack may have melted depending on weather conditions between now and then.

As to other recommendations, I'll repeat what the crew ahead of me on the CDT said when I called and fortuitously reached them from Chama before entering S San Juan Wilderness, "Carry an extra day's food." I did and was glad of it. A couple packs of Idahoans don't weigh much.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks, handlebar. I've been debating whether or not I'll need my YaxTrax, or something else, like minispikes. I guess we'll just have to keep watching the weather and wait and see.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    Thanks, handlebar. I've been debating whether or not I'll need my YaxTrax, or something else, like minispikes. I guess we'll just have to keep watching the weather and wait and see.
    If you haven't already bought either, then I'd strongly recommend Kahtoola Microspikes over YakTrax. BTW, I bought my ticket to fly to Denver on June 18.
    Handlebar

+1 on the microspikes. However, I would recommend not buying or carrying any of that stuff. Take some extra socks instead. This year will be normal at best in terms of snowfall (unless there is some extraordinary event in May, which is possible) The few places that are occasionally sketchy on the CT can be avoided by backing up and going higher or lower. The worst place is a steep sidehill in Segment 8 on Elk Ridge near waypoint H12.7 (go up). Sometimes there is a cornice on the top of the 10 mile range in Segment 7, but microspikes won't really help there. Anywhere else you encounter snow will just be a short posthole.

The San Juans are at 51% of normal snowfall right now - they will be clear or nearly so when you get here.

It was 76 degrees in Durango today.

I hope I won't need to carry either but the tread on my shoes this year really sucks.

Images

August 1 - can't wait

I hope to see some of you guys on trail! I'll likely be alone so the company will be welcomed. It looking like a early July start for me.

Anybody plan on leaving Denver around July 7th?

Leaving Copper Mountain July 1

Images

Bought my ticket to Denver: June 18th. Hopefully the snow won't be too bad by then.
    Handlebar

Quote Originally Posted by karnak View Post
    I hope to see some of you guys on trail! I'll likely be alone so the company will be welcomed. It looking like a early July start for me.

Anybody plan on leaving Denver around July 7th?
    The plan is very tentative right now, but I'm aiming for a July 7 or 8 start date. I just finished the AZT and have to upgrade my gear and do all the usual trail planning by then. Hopefully ~2 months is enough time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++