WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mile 43 on the trail and can't walk. Any ideas??

Does anyone know if there are any roads near Low Gap Shelter in Georgia before Unicoi Gap? My knees have been hurting really bad. I took a zero in Neels Gap and then hiked 11.5 miles yesterday. Now one of my knees is on fire and there's no way I can walk more than a couple miles. It hurts so bad. I need to get into a town to see a doctor

NOBO April 19 or 20
    Http://dubsontheat.wordpress.com

Images

unfortunately I think you must back track to get to the closest road.

Yes, the closest is to go back to Hogpen Gap. No roads between Low Gap & Unicoi and not as good terrain, particularly as approaching Blue Mountain due to rocks.

I was told that they had to rescue a hiker the day after I was at Low Gap due to dehydration. Apparently, there is a service road nearby for official use.
    Trillium

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post

I was told that they had to rescue a hiker the day after I was at Low Gap due to dehydration. Apparently, there is a service road nearby for official use.
    I've heard this several times.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Take a heavy dose if ibuprofen (Advil) if you have it and try to make it back. Take care!!

Not to disparage the other hiker at all, but this is a good reason to carry maps.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I did trail maintenance years ago near Low Gap using that road so things may have changed, but at the time it was locked and gated and the GATC had a key.

Images

Backtrack to Hogpen Gap. Take your time, and good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

The topo maps are showing that the old road from Low Gap continues down into civilization. It looks like it is 9.3miles until you hit Rt 75 with 1300 ft of elevation loss. But I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to go "off trail" with a gimpy knee. Your best bet is to Advil up and take it slow and hitch out from the AT trailhead. If you head back to wide gap, 1.7miles to the south, you will find a trail intersection (chattahoochee trail is what is shown on my map) going off to the right (west). 1.3 miles down is route 348 which is the same road as wolf pen gap. This is a total of 3 miles with a gain of 500' and a loss of 1300' I suspect you have several days worth of food so take it slow. Good luck.

Good luck to you! You have some good solid advice here! Will be thinking of you...

I just got down to hogpen gap and am waiting for my shuttle into hiawassi. Anyone know if there's a walk in clinic or doctor who can do X-rays on a Friday or Saturday there?

Y'all are all really helpful. I appreciate it. I zeroed in Neels Gap for a day and Baltimore Jack just said to take tons of ibuprofen and keep going but it got too bad yesterday

NOBO April 19 or 20

6:17 you were at low gap shelter, 11:57 you got to Hogpen....... I think you made better time then I did when I was at 100% lol. Good luck I hope everything is fine with the knee.

El Sordo
    Images

there is a FS road that comes to within a mile of Low Gap, but it looks like you've made it out OK. Hiawassee has a hospital with an ER.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Katiepecbvda View Post
    I just got down to hogpen gap and am waiting for my shuttle into hiawassi. Anyone know if there's a walk in clinic or doctor who can do X-rays on a Friday or Saturday there?

Y'all are all really helpful. I appreciate it. I zeroed in Neels Gap for a day and Baltimore Jack just said to take tons of ibuprofen and keep going but it got too bad yesterday

NOBO April 19 or 20
    Chatuge Regional Hospital is a small facility in Hiawassee ph. 706-896-2222 does not appear to have a walk in clinic but has an ER. The next closest walk in clinic is in Hayesville, 828-389-3608 but not sure about Sat. Hours. There is an urgent care facility in Murphy (about 30 miles) open on Sat & Sun 828-837-4712. Good luck & hope you feel better soon.

The hospital doctor couldn't tell how bad the tears are bad cuz they can only do MRIs on Wednesdays. The doc suggested going home but said I can rest for a week and try again. If the pain comes back as bad to go home and go to an orthopedic

NOBO April 19 or 20

Thanks for the update Katie...take good care of yourself!

My last section hike I ended up with similar symptoms. I hit the orthopedic clinic when I got home. The doc there basically said that some people have very elastic tendons and ligaments (gumby) and others don't. I'm a "Gumby" and so walking over uneven terrain my patella tends to float around because of this elasticity. I ended up having some of the ligaments (maybe the ACL) rubbing because the patella was out of place. It was pain like someone shoving a needle into my knee. When I woke up in the morning it was like my knee was locked in position. It hurt so bad to break it loose the first few steps. He gave me a knee brace that had a little cutout to hold my knee cap in place a little. So far I haven't used it, I've just been smart enough to slow down rather than try and push through the pain. So far so good. Hopefully a little rest, ice, and some time off your feet and you'll be back on the trail.

Good luck,

Hope it's only a bad case of Hiker's Knee. Lots of discussion here on WB about it. I've had it, excrutiating, thought I couldn't take another step, esp. on downhill. If that's what it is, you need knee bands. Not the old-fashioned stretchy elasctic type, you need the semi-rigid narrow bands that go around the bottom of the knee cap, attach with velcro. Miracle cure for me, put them on when I start, never feel a thing after. Good luck.

Pain is an indication that something is out of whack. Time to let it recover. I believe in natural treatments, though pain relievers may have their place. When I used Tiger Balm, essential oils of birch, wintergreen, and so forth, gave the muscles in my legs more resilience.

I really feel refreshed by many of the people on this site. It gives me a renewed perspective on humanity; there are so many helpful, caring individuals on here. I just feel better and better about my upcoming section hike in September. I guess since I'm hiking at such a weird time, fellow hikers might be limited; but I hope I at least get to run into a few people like you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hope it's only a bad case of Hiker's Knee. Lots of discussion here on WB about it. I've had it, excrutiating, thought I couldn't take another step, esp. on downhill. If that's what it is, you need knee bands. Not the old-fashioned stretchy elasctic type, you need the semi-rigid narrow bands that go around the bottom of the knee cap, attach with velcro. Miracle cure for me, put them on when I start, never feel a thing after. Good luck.
    +1

I bought mine at Wal-Mart and it helped me finish my thruhike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++