Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-31-2011
    Location
    WV
    Age
    70
    Posts
    102

    Default Boots Off Hostel

    A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at Boots Off, a new hostel on Shook Branch Road just south of Watauga Lake. The bunkroom is nice, with a curtain, a light and an electrical plug for each bunk. We had a cabin tent with two cots, a table and chairs. They also offer tenting and hammocking. They served a very tasty and reasonably priced dinner, and a continental breakfast of home baked cookies and fruit with all the coffee we could drink.

    A great alternative to Pine Mountain Shelter or the campsite 0.7 miles south of Shook Branch Rd.
    "Are we there yet?"

  2. #2
    Crazy Larry #1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Damascus
    Age
    60
    Posts
    6,476
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Belle View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at Boots Off, a new hostel on Shook Branch Road just south of Watauga Lake. The bunkroom is nice, with a curtain, a light and an electrical plug for each bunk. We had a cabin tent with two cots, a table and chairs. They also offer tenting and hammocking. They served a very tasty and reasonably priced dinner, and a continental breakfast of home baked cookies and fruit with all the coffee we could drink.

    A great alternative to Pine Mountain Shelter or the campsite 0.7 miles south of Shook Branch Rd.
    I met Jim Gregory the owner and I have had some of his guests that have stayed with him here and they say its great there

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-04-2014
    Location
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    Age
    54
    Posts
    25

    Default

    My family and I stayed there a month ago. We rented the family tent. It has two cots and is also a two room tent, very spacious. Beautiful design and build with regard to the bunkhouse. Pleasant folks all around. We enjoyed a bon fire in the evening and delicious breakfast. Laundry facilities was a reasonable rate and they even shuttled our group to the local Subway. I shall return there when hiking the area again. Sorry my English skills need improvement.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm not familiar with this. Can you tell me please where (city, state, or what it's close to) this is? Sounds nice and I would hope to go sometime. Thanks

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    I'm not familiar with this. Can you tell me please where (city, state, or what it's close to) this is? Sounds nice and I would hope to go sometime. Thanks
    Northbound hikers get to Boots Off right before they reach Highway 321 in Tennessee. Highway 321 leads to Hampton, Tennessee. The original poster did mention that it is near Watauga Lake.
    Last edited by map man; 09-20-2016 at 08:15.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm here now. My first hostel experience, but I can't imagine finding a nicer place. Heated bathrooms, heated bunkhouse, hot showers, great kitchen area... continental breakfast and coffee...
    I WAS going to tent, but rain in forecast tonight, I'll pay the extra $10 to not have to deal with cold wet tent in the morning.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2008
    Location
    Eastern, Tn
    Posts
    893
    Images
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I'm here now. My first hostel experience, but I can't imagine finding a nicer place. Heated bathrooms, heated bunkhouse, hot showers, great kitchen area... continental breakfast and coffee...
    I WAS going to tent, but rain in forecast tonight, I'll pay the extra $10 to not have to deal with cold wet tent in the morning.
    Good choice. Looks like a hard storm is on the way!

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes indeed. Sunday was cold and windy. Stopped for lunch at Vandeventer shelter and couldn't feel my fingers for an hour. Tented at iron mountain and had ice inside my tent. Been nice since. At woodchucks hostel now, but that's a different state (VA).

  9. #9
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    71
    Posts
    661

    Default

    I stayed there not long after they opened. It's a great hostel and it's convenient. At the time, the Watauga Lake Shelter was closed and I believe it still is. That shelter closure makes this a natural overnight stop unless you are willing to continue for another 7 miles to the next shelter.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  10. #10

    Default

    How far is this hostel from the trail?

  11. #11
    Registered User Christoph's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-18-2015
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    596

    Default

    On a section with my brother, we stayed there late last year during the off season. My bro was so worn out, he couldn't hike much farther. We called and the owner (I think) came down to the lake and picked us up. It would have been about a 1/2 mile walk (as a guess) but the driveway was pretty long and uphill. Very nice spot and friendly folks! Will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.
    - Trail name: Thumper

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    On a section with my brother, we stayed there late last year during the off season. My bro was so worn out, he couldn't hike much farther. We called and the owner (I think) came down to the lake and picked us up. It would have been about a 1/2 mile walk (as a guess) but the driveway was pretty long and uphill. Very nice spot and friendly folks! Will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.
    TY very much

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-20-2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    67
    Posts
    910
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladytaz View Post
    How far is this hostel from the trail?

    The AT Guide has it 0.2 west of trail and it is up hill.

    BOH is a great place. All rough cut lumber but high quality hardware and construction.

    Bathrooms look like privies but are all porcelain inside. Bucket shower was fun, hadn't seen one of them since my Army days.

    The people there are great, if a little Grumpy.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsG
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19 AT NOBO 1540.5

  14. #14
    Is it raining yet?
    Join Date
    07-15-2004
    Location
    Kensington, MD
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Images
    59

    Default

    Prob. the nicest AT hostel I've seen yet. Very charming spot, clean, and a 5 min walk from the trail.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •