WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"You know, there was a time when, if someone told you to do something, you did it. Bam. Right on. No questions asked. It was "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am." You never said no, you know?"
    I would inherit a .45 from my dad along with five record albums he'd learned to enjoy.

I talk about the situation my dad had faced in my private journal -- how he'd been sent to teach some potentate a lesson. An unparalleled math whiz sent to teach some bearded dictator the facts of life in the modern world.

As a kid I couldn't figure out where math figured into the whole equation of battle. My dad insisting later I become fluent in the same -- he and I would do high math competing on a Saturday evening while I waited for my girlfriend to get off work teaching at DeVry. My dad would grab the front of my shirt in, this time, an unconfrontational manner to get my attention and say to me, "You should marry her.". Much different than when he would grab the front of my shirt and tell me I should get my act together -- except -- in those instances the term "act" wouldn't be the term he would choose to use at the time.

Of course, I would think that old man didn't have a clue. What could he know?

A Saturday night with him using a slide rule, me with a late-model TI calculator during the bake off of mathematical challenges. The formulas of women escaping the both of us on, well, many occasions then and into the future.

The ladies in the neighborhood while the men went to battle, donning their Mrs. Cleaver dresses, gathering at my house -- their husbands all on the same mission. Some heading from Jacksonville, some from Pensacola, others directly out of Miami.

Tears mainly. The mothers wondering whether we would all be consumed in a puff of electrons, them wearing pearls for the electron occasion of course. The President had spoken from the Oval Office telling us all of the danger from the bearded one and the guy who everyone at the time believed had beat with his shoe on a desk to tell us he would bury us.

Later my dad would explain the importance of using a naval blockade -- me not grasping the idea at the time. But my dad insisting it was one of the most brilliant strokes of strategy in the course of history in these United States. My dad being a staunch Republican, the significance of that difference escaping me at the time.

One of the albums I'd inherit along with the .45 would be a most startling of voices -- a voice of such extreme ranges you would think it was two different people singing the song together. But that not the case. Unbelieving one human could have the talent to sing such low bass tones and into the next stanza become a tenor and reach for the highs, disconnected from the bass notes sung only a moment before.

Well now, I tried to do what others say that I should do
    They say that I should fit in, fool 'em, fake it, well
    Those kinda dues just make me crazy and blue
    Man, I just can't take it

So when you see me walking, won't you notice that proud look in my eyes
    My feet are on the ground and my soul is searching for the sky
    I would fight my own potentate battles decades later. No, not with near the valor and bravery of toting a rifle. My weapons would be those of a Mag Card and an attractive and quite talented secretary.

Some new outfit called Federal Express would come into play in the great success we on my team would all enjoy. I'm still astounded to this day -- so many decades later -- how we got it done, particularly with the name-brand talent who had failed before us. Just a bunch of youngin' Hoosiers, many from Ball State University, unknowing what was supposedly not possible.

I talk to her a couple times a month on and off nowadays. The secretary from way back then that is.

So you want to do work and continue the same-old same-old on your AT hike?

Why not bring a laptop to your wedding and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

The point being, take advantage of every opportunity on a hike of the Appalachian Trail (or other such events in your life) to become immersed in something. To not try to multi-task the AT from start to finish and water down any facet just to be able to fit more tasks into the timeframe. Instead, revel in the fact that you don't have to multi-task.

I contend hiking the AT can bring such great peace and be such a fantastic life opportunity and allow you to meet terrific people who may become your lifelong friends. Of course, a hike of the AT is more than that, much more.

I just don't see why you would want risk messing that up.

Otherwise why not just stay home, get on a treadmill elevated to 6% and do treadmill work for 10 hours per day so you can return phone calls and crank out work concurrently on a treadmill? Just keep working out on the treadmill every day for 10 hours per day until the mileage on the treadmill says 2,200 miles hiked.

Done.

Next thing on the list.

You could coin the term "Treadmill Your Own Treadmill" and write famous books showing others how you can deftly bring work to your AT hike and kill two birds with one treadmill stone.

Or not.

Datto

"The point being, take advantage of every opportunity on a hike of the Appalachian Trail (or other such events in your life) to become immersed in something. To not try to multi-task the AT from start to finish and water down any facet just to be able to fit more tasks into the timeframe. Instead, revel in the fact that you don't have to multi-task." - Datto

That was honestly one of the BEST rants I've heard in a long time. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Lots of well earned lessons in those comments too.

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    You could coin the term "Treadmill Your Own Treadmill" and write famous books showing others how you can deftly bring work to your AT hike and kill two birds with one treadmill stone.

Or not.

Datto
    I find it really ironic that you reference the HYOH motto in the process of telling someone how they should hike their hike.

I find it really ironic that you reference the HYOH motto in the process of telling someone how they should hike their hike.
    Yeah, me too.

That's what happens when someone asks a question or asks for advice on WhiteBlaze. People state their opinion in an effort to assist.

Datto

Images

Will working every few days "ruin" your hike? It'll certainly be a different experience than the usual tune in, drop out, turn on hike. But the other way to look at it is that you'll have a job that gives you four or five-day weekends after every work day. If you try it and it feels good, you could hike and travel for the rest of your working life.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I would inherit a .45 from my dad along with five record albums he'd learned to enjoy.

I talk about the situation my dad had faced in my private journal -- how he'd been sent to teach some potentate a lesson. An unparalleled math whiz sent to teach some bearded dictator the facts of life in the modern world.

As a kid I couldn't figure out where math figured into the whole equation of battle. My dad insisting later I become fluent in the same -- he and I would do high math competing on a Saturday evening while I waited for my girlfriend to get off work teaching at DeVry. My dad would grab the front of my shirt in, this time, an unconfrontational manner to get my attention and say to me, "You should marry her.". Much different than when he would grab the front of my shirt and tell me I should get my act together -- except -- in those instances the term "act" wouldn't be the term he would choose to use at the time.

A Saturday night with him using a slide rule, me with a late-model TI calculator during the bake off of mathematical challenges. The formulas of women escaping the both of us on, well, many occasions then and into the future.

The ladies in the neighborhood while the men went to battle, donning their Mrs. Cleaver dresses, gathering at my house -- their husbands all on the same mission. Some heading from Jacksonville, some from Pensacola, others directly out of Miami.

Tears mainly. The mothers wondering whether we would all be consumed in a puff of electrons, them wearing pearls for the electron occasion of course. The President had spoken from the Oval Office telling us all of the danger from the bearded one and the guy who everyone at the time believed had beat with his shoe on a desk to tell us he would bury us.

Later my dad would explain the importance of using a naval blockade -- me not grasping the idea at the time. But my dad insisting it was one of the most brilliant strokes of strategy in the course of history in these United States. My dad being a staunch Republican, the significance of that difference escaping me at the time.

One of the albums I'd inherit along with the .45 would be a most startling of voices -- a voice of such extreme ranges you would think it was two different people singing the song together. But that not the case. Unbelieving one human could have the talent to sing such low bass tones and into the next stanza become a tenor and reach for the highs, disconnected from the bass notes sung only a moment before.

I would fight my own potentate battles decades later. No, not with near the valor and bravery of toting a rifle. My weapons would be those of a Mag Card and an attractive and quite talented secretary.

Some new outfit called Federal Express would come into play in the great success we on my team would all enjoy. I'm still astounded to this day -- so many decades later -- how we got it done, particularly with the name-brand talent who had failed before us. Just a bunch of youngin' Hoosiers, many from Ball State University, unknowing what was supposedly not possible.

I talk to her a couple times a month on and off nowadays. The secretary from way back then that is.

Why not bring a laptop to your wedding and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto
    You have mentioned some realistic ways to do it. It is indeed the best opportunity of your life and hope you succeed. I am just waiting to get one such golden and I am fully prepared for it

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto
    You need to write a book. I will be the first in line to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
    HYOH can be a simple and beautiful idea yet it can be one of the most complicated and entangled in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartParker View Post

Why not bring a laptop to your
    wedding dress and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

You have mentioned some realistic ways to do it. It is indeed the best opportunity of your life and hope you succeed. I am just waiting to get one such golden and I am fully prepared for it
    I tried some of your tips and it has provided real good results. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Will working every few days "ruin" your hike? It'll certainly be a different experience than the usual tune in, drop out, turn on hike. But the other way to look at it is that you'll have a job that gives you four or five-day weekends after every work day. If you try it and it feels good, you could hike and travel for the rest of your working life.
    In a way, I had thought of this as a work + lifestyle experiment.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't think people were still discussing this, but I was glad to see there has been much more said since I last looked at it. Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this, but at the same time, do what is right for you.

It's still not 100% certain, but the company I'm contracting with would like to see this happen, and my employer is looking into funding my days off the trail, the shipping costs of the laptop, and a purchase of a new laptop. I've taken map man's Southbound AT Hiking Rates, the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion, and my own personal physical condition and drive and created a day-by-day breakdown of my hike, with me finishing in 134 days (about two days faster than the average) on 11/15/2013. This included no zero-days, but enough town days with minimum miles. My next step is to find an estimated date and the town and establishment of my work days. I decided to break the 30 days into four 5-day stays and five 2-day stays. I would do my best to spread these evenly out the hike, avoiding as many weekends as possible, and avoiding towns where the cheapest stay is $150/day. I'd like to average $100/day in rest and food. Also, I would contact the establishment where I would be working before I start my hike to confirm with them my plans and their abilities to provide an environment where i can work.

The thing that worries me the most is missing out on building strong friendships; however, this was not a goal of mine when I decided to do the AT. Not only did I choose Southbound for the more convenient date, but I wanted more solitude and to be able to push myself at my own pace. I imagine I'd still make friends, but maybe not "best" friends. Otherwise, I love this new job I have. The team is great, the boss is awesome, and I get to work with Google Maps, weather data, and trail data. When they took me on for a three month contract they asked about a contract-to-hire, but I turned them down because I knew I was walking the AT. It seems they really would like me to stick around, as would I, so this would continue our relationship. Also, I like to hike; I like being connected with mother nature, I like being minimalist, and I like the physical conditioning. But, I do get bored. Maybe working with technologies I enjoy every two to three weeks will be a good break.

Another concern of mine was extending the trip in December, where I imagine it will be colder and involve more snow.

In the end, it really does all boil down to HYOH...and it seems that you have made YOUR decision regarding YOUR plan for YOUR hike. I am happy for you. I sincerely wish you all the best on your hike. I hope you have a GREAT time!!!!!

However, I find it interesting and somewhat intriguing....that you asked for advice. You freely acknowledge that "Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this...". Then, you proceed to make your plans exactly contrary to what you acknowledge most people would advise you to do.

While I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with you doing whatever you want to do....I do wonder...What was the point of you seeking the advice of others--if you are choosing to ignore the advice and do (essentially) what you already planned to do from the very beginning? My question is not coming from a place of anger or frustration--just sheer curiosity.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    In a way, I had thought of this as a work + lifestyle experiment.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't think people were still discussing this, but I was glad to see there has been much more said since I last looked at it. Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this, but at the same time, do what is right for you.

It's still not 100% certain, but the company I'm contracting with would like to see this happen, and my employer is looking into funding my days off the trail, the shipping costs of the laptop, and a purchase of a new laptop. I've taken map man's Southbound AT Hiking Rates, the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion, and my own personal physical condition and drive and created a day-by-day breakdown of my hike, with me finishing in 134 days (about two days faster than the average) on 11/15/2013. This included no zero-days, but enough town days with minimum miles. My next step is to find an estimated date and the town and establishment of my work days. I decided to break the 30 days into four 5-day stays and five 2-day stays. I would do my best to spread these evenly out the hike, avoiding as many weekends as possible, and avoiding towns where the cheapest stay is $150/day. I'd like to average $100/day in rest and food. Also, I would contact the establishment where I would be working before I start my hike to confirm with them my plans and their abilities to provide an environment where i can work.

The thing that worries me the most is missing out on building strong friendships; however, this was not a goal of mine when I decided to do the AT. Not only did I choose Southbound for the more convenient date, but I wanted more solitude and to be able to push myself at my own pace. I imagine I'd still make friends, but maybe not "best" friends. Otherwise, I love this new job I have. The team is great, the boss is awesome, and I get to work with Google Maps, weather data, and trail data. When they took me on for a three month contract they asked about a contract-to-hire, but I turned them down because I knew I was walking the AT. It seems they really would like me to stick around, as would I, so this would continue our relationship. Also, I like to hike; I like being connected with mother nature, I like being minimalist, and I like the physical conditioning. But, I do get bored. Maybe working with technologies I enjoy every two to three weeks will be a good break.

Another concern of mine was extending the trip in December, where I imagine it will be colder and involve more snow.
    Regardless of how some feel, it sounds like you have the workings of a solid plan to me.

As some others have suggested, I wouldn't worry about not being able to get fully immersed in the trail experience. For the most part the AT is only the illusion of wilderness. Nearly every day you'll hear the trappings of civilization, or crossing one to several paved roads with a town only minutes away. I found it easy to separate my trail experiences from my town experiences (a few of them lengthy).

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    In the end, it really does all boil down to HYOH...and it seems that you have made YOUR decision regarding YOUR plan for YOUR hike. I am happy for you. I sincerely wish you all the best on your hike. I hope you have a GREAT time!!!!!

However, I find it interesting and somewhat intriguing....that you asked for advice. You freely acknowledge that "Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this...". Then, you proceed to make your plans exactly contrary to what you acknowledge most people would advise you to do.

While I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with you doing whatever you want to do....I do wonder...What was the point of you seeking the advice of others--if you are choosing to ignore the advice and do (essentially) what you already planned to do from the very beginning? My question is not coming from a place of anger or frustration--just sheer curiosity.
    I do appreciate all of the advice and it has made me a little hesitant. But I was looking to determine how practical this idea was. I didn't hear from anyone that this would be impossible, just that it may require more planning, compromise potential long-term friendships, and interrupt the flow of my hike and connection with the trail. I imagine everyone here has a different personality and connects differently with themselves, the trail, other hikers, friends, families, career, etc. I think what everyone said is valid for them, and I take that to heart. While we all have the AT in common, I imagine many of us are still night and day apart. So yes, I am doing what I planned on doing because no one told me it couldn't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    I do appreciate all of the advice and it has made me a little hesitant. But I was looking to determine how practical this idea was. I didn't hear from anyone that this would be impossible, just that it may require more planning, compromise potential long-term friendships, and interrupt the flow of my hike and connection with the trail. I imagine everyone here has a different personality and connects differently with themselves, the trail, other hikers, friends, families, career, etc. I think what everyone said is valid for them, and I take that to heart. While we all have the AT in common, I imagine many of us are still night and day apart. So yes, I am doing what I planned on doing because no one told me it couldn't be done.
    Thanks for the response. Best wishes! I hope it works out like you envision it.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

i know a dude who thru hiked in '01 while working along the way w/ a laptop. it's def doable, if you don't mind the affect it would have on your hike (which would be too much for most).
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++