WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Transportation Advice

My transportation plan for my section hike seems clear before the hike but I'm not sure what to do after the hike. Could I get feedback? This will be my first section hike of this area on the A.T.

1) May 19th - plane from Pittsburgh PA to Atlanta
    2) MARTA to North Springs
    3) shuttle to Hiker Hostel
    4) shuttle from Hiker Hostel to Springer Mt.

Then I'm looking for transportation from Damascus VA to Roanoke Regional Airport.
    I'll most likely get a flight back to Pittsburgh from there.
    Sound good?
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
    My transportation plan for my section hike seems clear before the hike but I'm not sure what to do after the hike. Could I get feedback? This will be my first section hike of this area on the A.T.

1) May 19th - plane from Pittsburgh PA to Atlanta
    2) MARTA to North Springs
    3) shuttle to Hiker Hostel
    4) shuttle from Hiker Hostel to Springer Mt.

Then I'm looking for transportation from Damascus VA to Roanoke Regional Airport.
    I'll most likely get a flight back to Pittsburgh from there.
    Sound good?
    Any advice?
    Thanks!
    why not tri-cities airport

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why not tri-cities airport
    OR if that doesn't work out... we could work together for a shuttle to get P.J. to Roanoke.

Images

Yes, I did get in touch with Sun-Dog Outfitters in Damascus which has a $100 shuttle from Damascus to Tri-cities. My hope was to schedule my post-hike flight out of a more northerly airport to allow for extra trail miles in case I end up hiking further than expected. That way I wouldn't backtrack to a southerly airport for a possibly more expensive flight.

Because I don't have first-hand experience with georgia and Smokey Mt terrain, is it feasible for me to hike from Springer Mt to Damascus in a month? That's roughly 470 miles divided by 30 days.... 15.6 miles a day. I intend to cover ground as opposed to pause a lot for sightseeing or side-trails but am I being over-tenacious? I've hiked some A.T in VT and I've hiked over flattop Mt in the Rockies and I consider myself an active guy.
    Thanks!
    PJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    OR if that doesn't work out... we could work together for a shuttle to get P.J. to Roanoke.
    Do you know any shuttles that would be cheaper than $100 from Damascus to Roanoke OR Tri-Cities? If I could cut down shuttle cost to the airport it wouldn't matter if my flight was a little more expensive.
    Thanks.
    PJ

Do you know any shuttles that would be cheaper than $100 from Damascus to Roanoke OR Tri-Cities? If I could cut down shuttle cost to the airport it wouldn't matter if my flight was a little more expensive.
    Thanks.
    PJ
    Well, I think if you do hike further North from Damascus that increases the chances that I could definitely shuttle you for way less than $100.00. I'm not in the shuttling business. I do it more for a favor for hikers. So like, I would be willing to pick you up say Atkins Va for $40.00. I just need $$ to cover my gas. Atkins is about as far South as I would go. Does that help?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Well, I think if you do hike further North from Damascus that increases the chances that I could definitely shuttle you for way less than $100.00. I'm not in the shuttling business. I do it more for a favor for hikers. So like, I would be willing to pick you up say Atkins Va for $40.00. I just need $$ to cover my gas. Atkins is about as far South as I would go. Does that help?
    That's my best option so far! Might we connect by phone within the next couple days?

That's my best option so far! Might we connect by phone within the next couple days?
    Sure PJ... I'll PM you my info...

++ New Posts ++