WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Mt. Washington Conditions

How are the trail conditions on Mt. Washington today? Planning a 18 mile Pinkham Notch to Mt Washington to Mt. Madison and back to Pinkham day hike loop. Would microspikes be needed now?

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/trail/nh/

Hey Rasty... don't know if this will help ya out or not.... Never mind... the info is old... Bump!!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 04-30-2013 at 20:28.

www.mountwashington.org

Incredibly detailed weather reports, info on trail conditions, avalanche warnings, and more! Enjoy your hike, that is a great loop. But, this time of year, don't expect to make your average pace. Right now they are in a "corn cycle," meaning soft, sometimes slushy snow, and plenty of running water. Also, be cautious of steep-angle snow hazards such as icefall and crevasses.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Images

This is a good site: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

You'll want to bring spikes along, as I mentioned in my Cafe post just now. Tuckerman Ravine Trail will be closed on the headwall, so the standard approach would be the Lion Head Winter route, which is quite steep and rough but gives gorgeous views.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    This is a good site: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

You'll want to bring spikes along, as I mentioned in my Cafe post just now. Tuckerman Ravine Trail will be closed on the headwall, so the standard approach would be the Lion Head Winter route, which is quite steep and rough but gives gorgeous views.
    Would the Boote Spur avoid the falling ice issues?

That wold be a long, challenging day hike. You might consider returning via Boote Spur for a less daunting route, depending on conditions on site.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill:1466445
    That wold be a long, challenging day hike. You might consider returning via Boote Spur for a less daunting route, depending on conditions on site.
    I'm estimating it will be around 13 hours. I will try to start at 5 am which should help with the monorail ice. This is starting to sound like fun. I'm comfortable doing 16 to 20 with a full pack so carrying a 14 liter day pack should be nice.

Images

18 miles is a long day even in the summer. Strong winds on the ridge is more the norm, like 50 mph or stronger. Check the snow depth in the Great gulf for your return. Postholing through miles of snow after the long climb & traverse can be exhorting I don't want to put a damper on your plans but know bail options. Consider descending to rt via Valley Way trail if conditions deteriorate & remember there is a caretaker at RMC Cabin. Have fun but be safe! AMC site is about a week behind http://conditions.outdoors.org/searc...ew%20Hampshire but they do have a phone number for current info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike:1466452
    18 miles is a long day even in the summer. Strong winds on the ridge is more the norm, like 50 mph or stronger. Check the snow depth in the Great gulf for your return. Postholing through miles of snow after the long climb & traverse can be exhorting I don't want to put a damper on your plans but know bail options. Consider descending to rt via Valley Way trail if conditions deteriorate & remember there is a caretaker at RMC Cabin. Have fun but be safe! AMC site is about a week behind http://conditions.outdoors.org/searc...ew%20Hampshire but they do have a phone number for current info.
    Where is the Valley Way trail? I couldn't find it earlier on the National Geographic map.

Images

North end of Presi Range. Most direct way to Rt 2 from Madison.

Images

I should have said Madison Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike:1466454
    North end of Presi Range. Most direct way to Rt 2 from Madison.
    I found it on regular Topo maps. Its going straight North. Chances are this hike will happen in about 2 weeks or after June 3rd. I have to go to NH for three weeks of the next five weeks.

Any info on the Daniel Webster trail as an bail point?

Images

Oh, I thought it got moved up. Lower snow should be gone by June , just depend on the day & weather on ridge. This was 1st week of June in 05Picture or Video 5420.jpgPicture or Video 5421.jpg

Images

Never hiked it but have heard it is a popular family hike from the Dolly Cobb CS. Not to strenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike:1466460
    Oh, I thought it got moved up. Lower snow should be gone by June , just depend on the day & weather on ridge. This was 1st week of June in 05Picture or Video 5420.jpgPicture or Video 5421.jpg
    Either May 16th or June 3rd. If June I may do as an overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike:1466462
    Never hiked it but have heard it is a popular family hike from the Dolly Cobb CS. Not to strenuous.
    Sounds like a great bail out trail off of Madison to road.

Images

If you make it an overnight consider THe Perch (RMC Cabin) Below Mt Sam AdamsScan1.jpgScan218.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Would the Boote Spur avoid the falling ice issues?
    It would. Quite a rugged and rough trail, and longer than Lion Head by about a mile, but a beaut. I got up it just over half-way to Washington two summers ago before turning back due to leg cramps just above Split Rock. Gorgeous trail.

Personally, though, I'd recommend Ammo for the ascent. It's gorgeous with its great waterfalls. To see Tuckerman Ravine from this option, you can do the Tuckerman Crossover Trail from the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, to the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, thence to W's summit, or further to the Alpine Garden Trail, from which you can work to the summit via Lion Head Trail and T.R.T. Choose whatever route you please, of course, but just know that Ammo is, imo and that of many, a special one.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++