WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help needed stowing a car and getting started

I'm hoping to find a self-storage facility near the trail where I could park my car and the belongings I have for 3-6 months while I go hike.

My goal is to be in Damascus for Trail Days, I don't expect to start at Springer Mountain, mostly because I don't want to feel compelled to do a thru-hike of the trail and also because I am starting a little later, and I want the best opportunity to meet as many people as possible.

I would love to hear from some people who are familiar with the trail from Springer Mountain to Damascus, to find an ideal launching location and some recommendations for self-storage places, or other alternatives to stowing my car and possessions.

Not knowing where to drive to is keeping me from getting started, so I appreciate your help in advance.

Its the "belongings" that makes this a toughie.

You can park your car at Amicalola State Park for 6 months for $5. And while thats safe I don't think you'd want to leave your "stuff" in it. And you don't want to start here anyway. (But if you did you could put your stuff in one of the self storage units in Ellijay.)

Yeah, I'm considering a plan for storing my car in Michigan and finding a way down to the trail, by Greyhound or whatever. That makes dealing with my possessions a minor issue, but keeps me from just driving directly to where I can get started hiking.

I've been advised I should be looking to start near Waynesboro, VA if I want to meet up with people who started a NOBO thru-hike 'on time'.

Journal Entries

You could move it around.
    Leave it where you will be every couple of weeks, then move it to new location up the trail, and get a shuttle back.
    You will keep it from going dead, etc and get to use it occassionally in a town where you might be very popular with it.
    you could also leave re-supplies or use it as a bounce box.

If you need to bail, its not far
    When you finish the trail, its not far

just a non-standard thing to think about.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpbills View Post
    I'm hoping to find a self-storage facility near the trail where I could park my car and the belongings I have for 3-6 months while I go hike.

My goal is to be in Damascus for Trail Days, I don't expect to start at Springer Mountain, mostly because I don't want to feel compelled to do a thru-hike of the trail and also because I am starting a little later, and I want the best opportunity to meet as many people as possible.

I would love to hear from some people who are familiar with the trail from Springer Mountain to Damascus, to find an ideal launching location and some recommendations for self-storage places, or other alternatives to stowing my car and possessions.

Not knowing where to drive to is keeping me from getting started, so I appreciate your help in advance.
    Get in touch with me: [email protected].
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Just an update and to close this thread; I'm squared away with a plan for dropping my car with family in Michigan and taking a bus or train to the trail.

++ New Posts ++