Looking in my guide and companion, I see no camping/shelter options between the Imp Campsite (306.3 miles from Katahdin) and the Osgood tent site (324.1 miles from Katahdin) aside from Carter Notch Hut, where I can't count on work-for-stay or even availability- I don't want to make that expensive a reservation when I don't know exactly when I'm getting there, in case I take an unplanned zero at literally any point earlier on the trail or am ahead of schedule. The elevation profiles are starting to get a bit intimidating, and I know that my mileage is definitely going to drop in the Whites, so I'm really rather leery of trying for 18 miles that day. What other options do I have? Another thread here mentioned possibly staying at a ski area- if this is possible, where is it? Would getting a shuttle back to Gorham at Pinkham notch be a better idea? That's only 13 or so miles from imp campsite...
Or maybe those 18 miles aren't so bad- the last five or so look particularly manageable, and if there's good weather the scenery is likely to be gorgeous enough to be motivating.

Any advice on this particular section?