WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Opinions on Gregory Packs

I'm in the planning stages of my AT section hiking journey, beginning next year, and am pack shopping. Last time I owned a pack was many years ago as a Scout and it was a heavy, external frame beast!! I have an opportunity to get a great deal on brand new Gregory packs - 40% of any pack I want and was really hoping someone could share some experiences with the following packs:

1) Gregory Contour 50 - I can get this pack for $155
    2) Gregory Z55 - I can get this pack for $167
    3) Savant 48 - I can get this pack for $113
    4) How is Gregory on customer service???

The Z55 states it is ventilated. How much a difference does that make? All of my section hikes will be somewhere between 18-24 days. Do I really need to go bigger than 55 liters? I have most of my gear and think it will all fit, but I value the voice of experience - so please, let me hear your opinions. Thanks.

Gregory is known for making packs that rank high in durability, fit, and comfort. I have a women's Deva 60 model and it can't be beat as far as comfort and ability to carry loads well. I love my pack.
    That being said, Gregory packs are considered a little on the heavy side, weight-wise, by most ultralight backpackers. You'll probably get some comments about them being heavy, but I'd be surprised if you had any comments complaining about their durability, and ability to carry loads comfortably.

In general, I find that 25%-30% is a common sale range for gear--any more is a deal worth considering but also questioning. Is a new model coming out soon? Is the feedback negative? Is the only size offered way big or small? Is it orange? And I don't usually buy clothing unless it is at least half off, except shoes where fit matters more than price.

Specifically, I have a Z55 (that I got at an rei garage sale of course) and the venting is nice. The torso length seems to be longer than my other packs that say the same range of size adjustments. But for what I paid I'm not complaining. All the gregory stuff I have is very well made and has proved durable. I think the Z55 capacity is 'true to size' and my kit, fairly light but not ultra, fits nicely. My pack is an older model and the hip belt is fixed but it carries well.

Hope this is helpful. Don't be suprised to hear a lot of advice on ultralights like ULA. It is tempting to cut pounds, not just ounces, by buying a light pack in the first place so consider this option before you lay out your cash. I don't want to give up the vented back panel though.

Images

I have a Savant 58 and it has become my "go to" pack. Every pack has pros and cons, but on balance, I think this is a fine pack for me.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks for the helpful feedback - yes it is available in orange lol - but the discounts is from an online promotional site only open to certain professionals and typically we get employee pricing. It is an online marketplace for Pros who have significant sales influence within personal and professional communities. It is highly restrictive, I can only buy 1 product, no multiple quantities, resale is forbidden, and usually there is a max on how much I can spend at each retailer. It's a membership only site and I had to apply and show certain credentials to be accepted by the various retailers. There are over 252 on the site but I only have access to about 100 of them. Gregory is 1 of them.

Images

I have a Gregory in addition to several lighter packs. It is a wonderful pack to use when I need to carry a lot of weight. It is extremely comfortable, tough, and well made.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

http://www.backcountry.com/gregory-z...ack-3350-cu-in. Z55 in Granite Gray is on sale for $160 at Backcountry.com. No membership required.
    Biggie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    http://www.backcountry.com/gregory-z...ack-3350-cu-in. Z55 in Granite Gray is on sale for $160 at Backcountry.com. No membership required.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I've carried this pack on several trips. It's very comfortable for me.
    Biggie

Images

The Gregory Baltoro is heavy but is very durable, comfortable, and carried 40 plus very well. Also have one in the Z line. Ventilated very well because of how the webbing is designed.

I believe the contour, which is new, is a cross been their heavier baltoro BACKPACKING series and lighter Z pack HIKING series.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I have a Gregory in addition to several lighter packs. It is a wonderful pack to use when I need to carry a lot of weight. It is extremely comfortable, tough, and well made.
    Ahhhhh ... sounds as if you're describing my Gregory Reality X to me! My most comfortable pack and go-to pack for heavy loads. Others have failed me over the years or needed repairs, but not this one.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

my bf and I both have gregory packs (baltoro and deva). Agree 100% with train wreck, although on the heavier side, no complaints. We plan on heading out SOBO mid-june & hopefully we will continue to have no complaints, haha.

I used a Gregory Z65 pack for years. I use a Gregory Miwok for day trips. The packs held up well and fit me nicely, but eventually I had the itch to lighten my pack weight and go with a ULA Circuit. Towards the end of my Gregory era, I lost a fair amount of weight such that the small hipbelt was too big. I called Gregory and then issued an RMA such that they could maybe replace the belt with a smaller one. In the end, they could not but at least their intent was right. They sent the pack back to me after about 2 months. After getting worried I called and it turned out they forgot to pack it back up and send it. From that experience, I would say their customer service was acceptable but not stellar. I would still recommend them though.

Default Opinions on Gregory Packs

Savant 58 works for me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Ahhhhh ... sounds as if you're describing my Gregory Reality X to me! My most comfortable pack and go-to pack for heavy loads. Others have failed me over the years or needed repairs, but not this one.

RainMan

And it's got the see through lid pocket
    My most comfortable heavy hauler too.

I have a gregory 50 and really enjoy it's durability and balance with a good sized load.

I have baltoro, serrac and torre in the family. We used all three for about 10 days on the LT last summer. Great packs.
    sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

I have had the Gregory Z55 for the past year. At first I wasn't sure that I liked it because I was getting some chafing from the shoulder straps. However, after multiple hikes the pack seemed to loosen up and/or I toughened up. Anyway, I find the pack to be a nice pack. It fits all my gear and carries a load well. I should say that my pack loads are under 25 pounds. So far the pack seems to be very durable. The price was very good when I bought it. Would I buy it for full price? Probably not. There are several options I would go with besides this pack at full price. Bargain price? YES! As an aside- the new Zulu packs seem very similar but have a few key upgrades.

++ New Posts ++