WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Default Daleville: Super8 yes, HoJo no!

When you get to Daleville, it's worth the extra few bucks to stay at the Super8. They are friendly and clean. Definitely avoid the Howard Johnson... dirty, badly maintained, low quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    When you get to Daleville, it's worth the extra few bucks to stay at the Super8. They are friendly and clean. Definitely avoid the Howard Johnson... dirty, badly maintained, low quality.
    After a brief visit in the lobby a few weeks ago, I concur. The lobby smelled like pee. The staff there was super nice, tho. Very hiker friendly!! The Super 8 looks nice!! I will say, I saw the HoJo's pool. It looked clean etc... and has an awesome view but that was in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    After a brief visit in the lobby a few weeks ago, I concur. The lobby smelled like pee.
    Thats from all the hikers trying to use a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats from all the hikers trying to use a bottle.
    Ha Ha- mp Yeah, I was going to type urine but I just went with pee....

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I stayed at the Hojos in 2011 and while I wouldn't give it 3 stars it was suitable for our crew of hikers. They were super friendly and I didn't feel bad with all the dirt we brought into the room. But I concur that the lobby was pretty shabby and the rooms were a bit questionable. We were too tired to care and just happy to have finally hit a shower and resupply after a week of big(ish) climbs and around 150 miles (SoBo).
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

I stayed at the Super 8 and the hiker rate was the same as the AAA discount rate. Clean, comfortable and convenient. Can't ask for much more than that.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

I can only speak on behalf of the Super 8, which I stayed at in 2011. Amazing. Huge rooms, nice pool, solid breakfast and not too expensive. I want to say it was around 65 which we split 4 ways. Probably the 2nd nicest place I stayed at while thru hiking. The best place (hands down) was the Woodstock Inn in N.Woodstock, Nh.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I zeroed at the HoJo in 2011, did not have a problem with it and found the front desk pretty friendly. It was as clean and well-maintained as any other motel room on the trail. But a little up the trail several others had written in the shelter books complaining about it, so I got the sense that not everyone had such a great experience there. Things might have changed in two years anyway.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stayed at the Daleville in 2011, I rate it higher than the Port Clinton hotel
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Stayed at Hojo in 08. The manager was great, shuttled us around a little bit. Great experience. Awesome pool!!!

Images

Ill be making reservations for the Super8 for June.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I stayed at the HoJos in 2011...no complaints.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Info on hiking in Daleville VA

As I am wont to do, I've taken informational photos for those interested in what they might see as they come to a trail town. I'll share them in this thread, along with a little info on the town of Daleville.

When NOBOs are about to reach U.S. Highway 220 in the town of Daleville, they'll come to a fork in the foot path.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60074
    While one might think that the more prominently worn path (to the right) is the A.T. and the less worn path (to the left) is a side trail, the opposite is true. Both paths go to the highway, but the one to the right goes to a large parking area. As the white blaze indicates, the A.T. itself is to the left.
    When NOBOs following the A.T. get to the road itself, they'll find themselves next to the parking lot for Valley Cleaners. Next to that is a BP convenience store, and across the road is a Sunoco store. The A.T. continues into the brush almost directly across the road.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60073

SOBOs will reach the highway after a mile or so of a wide, well-groomed trail. Their first view of the road
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60072
    will be of the BP store. Continuing south on the A.T. will mean crossing the road and then picking up The Trail just next to the parking lot for Valley Cleaners.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60071
    Next to each of these convenience stores are chain motels that welcome hikers -- the Super 8 and the Howard Johnson Express noted in the start of this thread. Within a mile of the road crossing are other motels, as well as a plethora of places to grab a meal. This view
    http://tinyurl.com/ATinDaleville
    gives some idea of what's right there at the crossing.

Please note that U.S. Highway 220 is a MAJOR roadway with a LOT of vehicles, some with drivers not paying attention to the possibility of hikers in the middle of the road -- particularly since there is NOT a pedestrian cross-walk at the A.T. Crossing the road is easily do-able IF you are willing to wait a minute or so for traffic on each part of this divided highway to dissipate. No matter what the legalities are concerning pedestrian right of way on roads, caution on YOUR part is VERY important as you cross this highway. You do NOT want your last thought, before you go to your reward, to be, "Well, at least my heirs will get a large settlement in the wrongful death suit!"

Stayed at HoJo in May 2012, SOBO. It was OK. Numerous things were broken, but the staff was quite nice and I recall that they were impeccably dressed. The hiker box in the laundry room was really good. There were a lot of freeze dried dinners to choose from, and one of the big jars of nutella. I was making eyes at the Nutella and my hiking buddy said "don't get into it unless you are going to take it all"... So it was left there, sadly.
    A funnier story happened at the gas station next to the HoJo. We went in there for something after cleaning up and the girl said, in a southern drawl, "I know you aren't hikers because hikers stink, and you all don't stink". And that was our "funny thing to say" for the rest of the hike.

Stayed at that HoJo in 2011.Rooms were okay but front desk/lobby/dining area was not good. The "free" breakfast was questionable-looking so we passed.

HoJo is O.K. Very convenient to the trail, hiker friendly. Breakfast is O.K.

Journal Entries

I had no issues with the HoJo, and that's where my pack was dropped off from 4 Pines.

At the time I went there were so many hikers staying at HoJo it added to the atmosphere and the fun of the place, and everyone staying helped coordinate meeting up for dinner in town.

Stayed at the Super 8 in 2013. One of the best on the trail.

The super 8 in daleville is one of the cleaner and best maintained facilities a hiker can stay at along the AT and they have an on-site laundry room, plus all the services are with in a easy walk from the motel, Grocery, oufitter, resturants, ETC.

++ New Posts ++