WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear Bagging

Default Bear Bagging

Hello to all,

I have been planning my Springer to Cligmans dome on the AT and your advice has been invaluable.

Thank you.

I have been looking at You tube in regards to bear bagging. You tube is a great source but you don't know who to trust. So I went and typed it in Google and came upon the pics and instructions that was on backpacker.com. Very informative. Since I live near woods I will be practicing.

My question is: It seems that you can use the PCT method, counterbalance (which seems like a real pain) or hanging it between two trees.

I know this debate has been probably been going on for a long time, sorry for rehashing the same subject!

Can anyone point me in a knowledgeable direction? I have been practicing my knots.

Thank you in advance
    Floyd.

Images

If I have to hang a bag, I use the PCT method. It's the simplest one that works. In Georgia and NC, however, the shelters mostly have bear cables and those work well. Much easier than hanging your own. Since the shelters usually have water and nearby tent sites, that makes it convenient.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If you are intent on bear bagging then the PCT is generally considered the best.

In real life, about 80%-90% of the bear bag hangs I've seen on the A.T. are done incorrectly and are probably far worse then just sleeping with you food (aka keeping your food attended at all times). It's not hard to hang your food correctly, it just takes a little bit more work then most people put into it.

If a shelter/campsite has bear cables or a bear box installed use them. If you decide to hang your food, take the time to find the correct tree, so that your bag is several feet away from the tree trunk, hung from a branch that is too small to support the weight of an animal climbing out to where the rope is and is at least 10-12 feet above the ground.

There is also a small section of the trail in Georgia that has a seasonal bear cannister requirement for those camping overnight. It's a short enough section that it's easy to avoid and I will let folks that are more familiar with it give you more details.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Pct method. Lots of great videos. Try it at home and make sure you get 50' of line. I would highly recommend the Mountain Laurel Designs Bear bagging system. It comes with a rock bag and makes the process so easy. Here is a good hang.
    image.jpg

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Pct method. Lots of great videos. Try it at home and make sure you get 50' of line. I would highly recommend the Mountain Laurel Designs Bear bagging system. It comes with a rock bag and makes the process so easy. Here is a good hang.
    image.jpg
    +1 on the MLD setup. Very nice. I never did quite figure out the PCT method (the knot is what gets me - have to practice more). I still use the traditional tie-it-off-on-another-tree method but I realize that a savvy bear can just cut the line with his claws and drop the bag. A nice trick for either method is to take a small but stout stick and wrap the end of the line you have to pull on around it. Then you can pull the stick instead of the line. Parachute cord is thin and slippery which makes it great for sliding on tree trunks and branches. It also makes it lousy on your hands when your bear bag is heavy...The stick is your friend.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries

A poor hang, is worse than no hang at all.
    Most of the hangs I see on the AT are poor.

Look for a branch, 20-25' above ground, more than 6" at the trunk, that tapers out to 1-2" by at least 10' out from the trunk.
    You want the limb too small to support the bear well where the hang is, and too big for a bear on the tree to chew thru, and too far out for it to jump to reach. Then using the PCT method your hang will be 10-12' off the ground, and 10-12' below the branch.

These perfect branches are very hard to find in a hardwood forest, on a steep mountainside, close to your camp, as it is getting dark.

If you want to see some fun, spend the night at Muskrat Creek Shelter (1st shelter going north in NC) during the height of thru-hiker season. 1st shelter on the AT w/o bear cables. Watch the newbies try to master bear-bagging techniques. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If you want to see some fun, spend the night at Muskrat Creek Shelter (1st shelter going north in NC) during the height of thru-hiker season. 1st shelter on the AT w/o bear cables. Watch the newbies try to master bear-bagging techniques. Priceless.
    Any boat ramp in early spring is always a blast too

Journal Entries
    Images

This is where I first found the PCT technique and used it last year. It worked great and was easy too! http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...e#.UYOfM1_D_cc
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

In real life, about 80%-90% of the bear bag hangs I've seen on the A.T. are done incorrectly and are probably far worse then just sleeping with you food
    Yes, this. I've seen plenty of food bags hung 5 or 6 feet off the ground. The smallest bear cub could grab them without trying hard.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This is the most civil bear bag thread I have seen. +1 on the PCT method and MLD bag. I made my own MLD type bag with little difficulty. It is a great multi-use item. You have to store the paracord somewhere. Why not in a bag that can be used to hold the throwing rock later? Perhaps Maine is different, but I have seen little difficulty finding suitable tree branches up here and little difficulty getting the paracord over said suitable branches. Practice on shakedown hikes.

I would add 3 things to the great advice above:
    1) Use a big enough rock. You need enough weigh to overcome the friction between the paracord and tree branch.
    2) When it comes time to take the setup down in the morning, pull the carabiner very slowly over the branch. If you go too fast, you run the risk of tangling your setup 25' in the air.
    3) (And this might be opinion) Take the time to do it right or sleep with the food. This isn't about you or your food. It is about the bears. A fed bear is a dead bear. We, of all people, should understand why that is a problem.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I am wondering if in determining the best method folks have evidence that a bear was trying to get at the food but was unsuccessful - have you seen the bear trying or heard it or did it leave some evidence. For the methods that are poor, has the food been lost to the bear? And for those that keep it in their tent, have bears actually disturbed you during the night and what do you do to protect yourself? This is something I don't want to learn by trial and error. Do you think some food preps are less likely to attract a bear, such as freeze dried or dehydrated? Two things I fear - bears and snakes - but want to get over it.
    Thanks to all!

People loose food to Bears all the time mainly because they hang it too close to the ground, the PCT method is the best way to hang food, I also use the PCT method, but sometimes i sleep with my food.

Journal Entries

In most cases, if a bear tries to get the food for long enough, he will eventually succeed.
    They are intelligent, persistent, and resourceful, and tough.
    Small bears are acrobats and can hang on with one or two paws for a long time while working to get at it.

Jumping from tree trunk and grabbing the bag
    Dropping from limb and grabbing on way down
    Chewing branch off of tree
    Chewing thru bear rope holding the bag up

Eventually, they will get it if poorly hung.

Journal Entries

If you hang the PCT method is by far the best (and easiest once you learn how). You can either do it the original way and simply tie a clove hitch around a tent stake or the newer version where you use a small piece of pvc. I just got off (Springer to Newfound) and could not believe how many inadequate hangs I saw. We probaly demo'd the PCT to 15-20 hikers over the past two weeks. Picture of a good hang....12-14 ' above ground.photo.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I also use the PCT method, but sometimes i sleep with my food.
    Can one suspend him or herself from a large enough branch? Then you can both sleep with your food and utilize the ultra-cool PCT food hanging method The best of both worlds! Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    Can one suspend him or herself from a large enough branch? Then you can both sleep with your food and utilize the ultra-cool PCT food hanging method The best of both worlds! Ickybod
    Bear Pinata

If you sleep in a hammock with your food, is it technically "hung"?

Journal Entries

I hang mine from my tent pole inside my tent, inside my sweaty smelly pack.
    Sleeping with it, and hanging. Best of both worlds.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-03-2013 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello to all,

I have been planning my Springer to Cligmans dome on the AT and your advice has been invaluable.

Thank you.

I have been looking at You tube in regards to bear bagging. You tube is a great source but you don't know who to trust. So I went and typed it in Google and came upon the pics and instructions that was on backpacker.com. Very informative. Since I live near woods I will be practicing.

My question is: It seems that you can use the PCT method, counterbalance (which seems like a real pain) or hanging it between two trees.

I know this debate has been probably been going on for a long time, sorry for rehashing the same subject!

Can anyone point me in a knowledgeable direction? I have been practicing my knots.

Thank you in advance
    Floyd.
    Watch this video ....

Coosa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++