WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO early June - ride with dog

Hello all,

First time poster, but have picked up a lot of valuable information browsing the forums.

I plan to start SOBO hike early June with my 2 year old korean jindo (30-35 lbs).

Still trying to figure how to get up to Maine. Buses don't take dogs, and wary of taking her on airplane in cargo.

Anyone driving up that would be willing to split gas cost? I'm in Virginia, but I'm sure I could convince friend to drive several hours away to meet up, but probably not all the way to Maine.

Let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: Since time is fast approaching, also looking at renting a car and driving from Va to Maine. Let me know if anyone is interested in tagging along if I can't find anyone else driving.
    Last edited by Jberczel; 05-06-2013 at 11:13.

It might be useful if you tell folks where exactly you are starting. As most folks will be headed for Baxter, and you can not take your dog there. So are you starting at Abol Bridge?, or boarding the dog somewhere for a day or two while you do Katahdin and Baxter?

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    It might be useful if you tell folks where exactly you are starting. As most folks will be headed for Baxter, and you can not take your dog there. So are you starting at Abol Bridge?, or boarding the dog somewhere for a day or two while you do Katahdin and Baxter?
    Thanks for feedback. Most likely headed to Abol Bridge. My understanding is that it is before BSP and has private kennel pickup service.

I'd have to look into it.. But I'd be willing to shuttle you up for the cost of fuel.. I'm in PA.

Anxious to help out fellow hikers with pups.

SG & Diesel Dog GAME12

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep researching options if you're not available at that time. Are you also thru-hiking, or just helping with shuttling?

Hopefully, 1 or 2 more people respond to this thread, so we can split transportation costs.

++ New Posts ++