WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where should I expect to be by August 1st?

So I start my AT thru on June 27th. I plan to start with 10-15 mile days then work up from there, as quickly as I can. Where should I expect to be by August 1st? The reason I ask is because I have to get off for my brothers bachelor party and I need to find a way to get from where ever I am at to Wellsville, Ohio. I am shooting for Delaware Water Gap, PA; is that reasonable?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

You can shoot for that... sounds reasonable. It's really hard to say for sure where you will be... Hopefully the arrangements that you have to get to Wellsville Ohio, from the trail, is flexible.

Images

I assume you are SOBO. Most southbound hikers reach our hostel in Manchester, VT 6 to 8 weeks after starting at Katahdin.

You're from Green, OH...home of the Suburban League Bulldogs!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    So I start my AT thru on June 27th. I plan to start with 10-15 mile days then work up from there, as quickly as I can. Where should I expect to be by August 1st? The reason I ask is because I have to get off for my brothers bachelor party and I need to find a way to get from where ever I am at to Wellsville, Ohio. I am shooting for Delaware Water Gap, PA; is that reasonable?
    No.

You are giving yourself 34 days to hike 900 miles. Thats 26.5 miles per day, every day, no breaks, right outta the gate on day 1. If you assume you will take 1 day off a week to resupply, shower, etc, then that daily mileage jumps to 31.

You need to come up with plan B.

Here is a table that shows "typical" progress for your average completing SOBO thru-hiker:

TABLE 1 -- Mean Days to Complete Each Section

MEAN DAYS~TOTAL DAYS~~SECTION
    16.4 days...........16.4 days.........Katahdin to Stratton
    10.7 days...........27.1 days.........Stratton to Gorham
    10.3 days...........37.4 days.........Gorham to Glencliff
    22.5 days...........59.9 days.........Glencliff to Kent
    11.9 days...........71.8 days.........Kent to Delaware Water Gap
    16.4 days...........88.2 days.........Delaware Water Gap to Harpers Ferry
    9.7 days............97.8 days..........Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro
    23.2 days.........121.0 days.........Waynesboro to Damascus
    20.4 days.........141.4 days.........Damascus to Fontana
    10.4 days.........151.8 days.........Fontana to Springer

This table came from this article:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...T-Hiking-Rates

June 27 through August 1 is 36 days so if you are "typical" you would be around Glencliff, New Hampshire by the time you need to leave. If you hike a little quicker than average you might be to Hanover NH by then and Hanover has some bus service, I believe, to act as your first leg to get back to Ohio.

If you are to Delaware Water Gap by 36 days on the trail you will be on pace to hike the whole trail in less than three months -- not very likely, as max patch has noted.

Journal Entries

YOUR 22 yrs old probably in as good of shape as anyone on the AT but don't kill yourself out there. Hike & have fun when it gets close to your brothers party call and someone among your friends makes a fast drive grabs you & gear and off to Ohio.ps take a long shower you'll have earned it no matter where you stop.

I'm in the same position bud. I have to catch a bus for a bachelor party/wedding by august. I'm starting my SOBO June 20th. I'll be catching a greyhound in Hanover, NH july 30-31. Don't know which yet. Anyways, that gives me 42 days to hike 442 miles. That's 10.5 miles a day. I'd say that's realistic. You'll have 35 days to hike those miles which comes out to 12.6 miles a day. Which is still pretty realistic. If I were you I'd shoot for Hanover.

hanover & rutland both give you some Amtrak and bus access I would consider those as good outs.

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the input. Ill shoot for hanover and see if anyone will be in the area or look into bus fare. Also, yeah Delaware Water Gap, PA must of been where I planned to be by the time of the wedding in early september.....not sure, the last time i studied my guide was over a week ago and looked into both the bachelor party and wedding.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    You're from Green, OH...home of the Suburban League Bulldogs!!!
    Yep, how do you know about them? I didn't know about them till a couple days ago haha
    Transcend the Bull$hit

If it was me I'd shoot for Hanover. Last time I was there (things change so research this) they had bus service to Boston. Get to Boston and you can get anywhere.

And I'd have a few other locations - both before and after - already scouted out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, Hanover.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    And I'd have a few other locations - both before and after - already scouted out.
    Good idea.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    Where should I expect to be by August 1st?
    Home. That's what statistics prove, any way. Now, had you asked, "where should I hope to be ..." the answer might be different.

You've gotten some good answers, but those only apply if you beat the odds and everything goes your way, and that's different from what you asked.

Good luck and here's hoping you are an odds-beater!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Home. That's what statistics prove, any way. Now, had you asked, "where should I hope to be ..." the answer might be different.

You've gotten some good answers, but those only apply if you beat the odds and everything goes your way, and that's different from what you asked.

Good luck and here's hoping you are an odds-beater!

RainMan

I hope to be. The only thing getting me off the trail is illness or injury, and they will have to be major.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

++ New Posts ++