WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Opinions about alcohol on the trail

So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Fakin the Funk View Post
    So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general.
    If you're only going to hike 14" of the trail, you won't have much time to catch that buzz first

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Silly answers aside, the HYOH mantra exists for a reason. If one of your biggest concerns is how others will perceive you, then perhaps you need to rethink why you are doing this. Of all the thinking that I'm doing for what will hopefully be my 14 attempt, fear of how others will perceive me or my ideas is not one of them. Doing the hike is what's important, whether it's high, drunk, coked up, sober or whatever. If you're not in anyone's face with your habits or otherwise, then who cares?
    We are all one big human family.

The more whiskey you offer me, the less I'll be bothered

I am hiking the trail because I love nature, and it will give me a lot of time to think. I also want to test myself mentally and physically. I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.

Images

I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.
    that is depressing on so many levels. My advice, Take two bottles of whiskey. And to answer your question, no it won't be a big deal. Could it bother some, maybe but they need to get a life.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years.
    Yes, you better get this hike out of the way before your arranged marriage. I didn't even know those existed anymore.
    We are all one big human family.

In Maryland alcohol is prohibited on the trail... But I've yet to spend a night at a shelter where someone wasn't passing a bottle of something around. I think the guys that disagree with you will be in the minority and will likely just keep hiking rather than express their distaste.

Images

Cheers, I am also a 2014 potential thru hiker. I am not a regular drinker but have no issue with someone who enjoys a drink or two while on trail whatsoever. If you are not drunk who cares. It is your time on trail, your money,your body,your life and I am just there to enjoy the trail just like you. Hike your own hike is not just about the walking and speed or how you tackle the trail, it is about respecting yourself like others. You like to drink? , fine by me.

No one cares if you drink.

No one can make you talk about politics either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Cheers, I am also a 2014 potential thru hiker. I am not a regular drinker but have no issue with someone who enjoys a drink or two while on trail whatsoever. If you are not drunk who cares. It is your time on trail, your money,your body,your life and I am just there to enjoy the trail just like you. Hike your own hike is not just about the walking and speed or how you tackle the trail, it is about respecting yourself like others. You like to drink? , fine by me.
    What if I am drunk?

I am hiking the trail because I love nature, and it will give me a lot of time to think. I also want to test myself mentally and physically. I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.
    If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry. I do not drink, but if I were you I would be tempted.

To the original post: I don't think you need the planets approval on this one. I won't be sharing one with you. I also won't be turning my nose up at you.

Are you being serious or making rhetorical comments?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry. I do not drink, but if I were you I would be tempted.
    Agreed. I'm just over one year into my marriage and can honestly say I'm a better, happier man today than I ever have been before. She has no interest in extended backpacking trips (I just got her out on an overnight finally, but that will probably be her limit) but is extremely supportive of my interest. She knows that one day the AT will call and I will answer. It's actually something we talk about fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Agreed. I'm just over one year into my marriage and can honestly say I'm a better, happier man today than I ever have been before. She has no interest in extended backpacking trips (I just got her out on an overnight finally, but that will probably be her limit) but is extremely supportive of my interest. She knows that one day the AT will call and I will answer. It's actually something we talk about fairly often.
    Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.

Funk, no one cares if you drink, marry, or finish a thru-hike...now spewing politics on the trail could get you second looks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI9rJ0toWA
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-07-2013 at 13:23.

It sure will up the cost of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It sure will up the cost of the trip.
    True dat brother...true that!

I am in the same exact boat. My wife's view of hiking is 5 miles at tops. She has zero interest in overnights that don't involve electricity and running water. But she knew that part of me and accepted it when we committed to each other. I tolerate her rabid sports addiction and she tolerates my rabid outdoors addiction. People that go into marriages with a bucket list of changes they would like to see or innocent activities they have to give up, should not get married. A partnership marriage is the best thing on the planet. It is my most prized possession and it is my wife's as well. It is obtainable. I am no great prize. If I can find one so can most anyone. You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.
    Priorities man. Only you can answer that call. If she is the one, she will be worth any sacrifice. If she is the one, the true sacrifices will be few. I am still trying to figure out my thru. Just doing Maine this year.

Images

What if I am drunk?
    If one is drunk then he/she needs supervision by other hikers until he/she is sober again. if it is a habit for the guy to be drunk then I will move on and let him/her be,. If he is a menace to others when drunk and shows sign of violence then I will move on even faster and will do my best to tackle the situation as best as I could.
    I personally am more sociable and mellower when drunk but I have seen some people who turn aggressive when drunk. I will definitely avoid this type of person in my life. We have a saying in Persian that says: You are your real you when drunk. I came to believe this saying has some merits to it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++