WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Entitled Hikers

Default Entitled Hikers

Been reading occasionally about Thru- Hikers with sense of "entitlement." In many cases it sounds to me like most of these hikers are simply a little young. Still in that "the world owes me this hike" sort of phase. Granted I'm sure you see this in older hikers occasionally but the hikers who fit the bill in my opinion have just needed a few years on them. Doesn't make it right of course. Any suggestions we could pass along?

Nothing like a loaded question. Are you not talking about showing proper homage to the "rock stars" of our sport? The majority of hikers on the trail are day hikers, then comes overnighters, then weekenders, then long weekenders, then short, medium and long section hikers then finally in the fewest numbers come the "thru-hikers". The status of this term brings not just adulation but charity. Sometimes great charity. Some people will go above and beyond to help out a thru-hiker. With all this worship why not expect it? Of course that is the problem. I should also note that this phenomenon has not gone unnoticed certain members of our population. I have noticed greater and greater numbers of people on the margins of our society representing themselves as thru hikers in order to take advantage of this "rock star" status and the advantages it brings. Bums mostly, young and old, they talk the talk and know where and when to show up. The one I met recently at the jailhouse hostel in Palmerton Pa, had an old guide book, and a old boy scout backpack. He was hitchhiking from free or donation hostel to another along the AT. He had several good stories about how the people he meets should give him some trail magic so he can complete his dream of hiking the AT. He liked to hang out in front of the grocery store with all his gear and wait for someone to ask him a question. This only works in towns on or near the AT where the people are used to encountering hikers. Funny thing is that most experienced hikers can spot one of these guys within a few seconds. It's the "town people" who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    Been reading occasionally about Thru- Hikers with sense of "entitlement." In many cases it sounds to me like most of these hikers are simply a little young. Still in that "the world owes me this hike" sort of phase. Granted I'm sure you see this in older hikers occasionally but the hikers who fit the bill in my opinion have just needed a few years on them. Doesn't make it right of course. Any suggestions we could pass along?
    I disagree with this. This isnt an age thing, its an attitude. Yea some of the younger hikers have this entitlement but I have met many older hikers, even those my age that have this sense that each town and hostel and shuttle driver owes them something.

Images

well as lone wolf says, its just walkin.
    some would have you believe that a thru hike is akin to curing cancer or winning the nobel peace prize, when in reality its just an extended vacation. its a tough personal goal, and its great to be able to set a goal, and work hard to attain it, but in the end, its just walking.
    i dont think entitlement issues are limited to the trail, i think its more a young vs. old thing, and i think its been going on for generations.fortunately we had better music, as my dad did, and his dad before that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I disagree with this. This isnt an age thing, its an attitude. Yea some of the younger hikers have this entitlement but I have met many older hikers, even those my age that have this sense that each town and hostel and shuttle driver owes them something.
    yes ive seen that as well, but i have seen its predominantly the kids,getting angry even if they just cant get a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    yes ive seen that as well, but i have seen its predominantly the kids,getting angry even if they just cant get a signal.
    Interesting. 9 times out of 10, hikers are great. Its that one a**hole that ruins it for everyone else. I love how up here, those entitled hikers always want to blame either the AMC or the trail clubs. ***** makes me laugh. Most of the time, from my own observations the one's that want to try to blame the AMC for whatever are the older hikers, esp one's out with their kids. Setting great examples by bitching at caretakers about $8 while the caretaker shovels their poop. See it every year....

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Every kid wins a medal syndrome?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I blame the parents. I found myself getting frustrated when people wouldn't pick me up from the trail and get to town. But that's all. The trail taught me humility. But last year I met 25+ NOBO's who were out thru hiking on unemployment and using their free Obama phone and food stamps to buy beer, tobacco, and weed. It sickened me. I'm glad I could work hard save money and pay taxes so they could continue to be lazy and have others support their trip.

Images

Interesting. 9 times out of 10, hikers are great. Its that one a**hole that ruins it for everyone else. I love how up here, those entitled hikers always want to blame either the AMC or the trail clubs. ***** makes me laugh. Most of the time, from my own observations the one's that want to try to blame the AMC for whatever are the older hikers, esp one's out with their kids. Setting great examples by bitching at caretakers about $8 while the caretaker shovels their poop. See it every year....
    well, a-holes can certainly be any age,and ive witnessed enough of the same bitchin up there as well, especially at the huts, but i think thats more a money entitlement thing.
    i'll repeat the story i posted a few days back about the trail magic we received a few days before damascus, a cooler left by a local church filled with ice cold pepsis and cream pies. i turned to homebrew and starface and said"i'll bet some a-hole will come along, open the cooler,look inside and say, f***,no coke."
    sure enough , a guy we'd been hiking with for the past 2 days comes up,opens the cooler,looks inside and says"f***,no coke"
    he couldnt understand why we were laughing hysterically.

That's so true- in fact, there's an older thruhiker here on WB who bitched and whined about the AMC and the tough trail conditions in the Whites and Maine. Seemed that this guy wanted nice flat all-dirt, not too hard, not too soft treadway so he could experience his kind of hiking. He still complains about how he hated the trail in those 2 states.

There's as many aholes on the trail as off the trail. It's just the way it goes. Man up and squash the reputation whenever you can. A lady in VT, I think it was Manchester Ctr or something like that, almost refused me a room in her hotel 'cause some NOBO's had trashed the place and were rude and disrespectful...apparently she had to call the cops and all this and that. So, I begged her for a room (it was a really LONG day), and ended up staying two nights. I always said please/thank you and did the best I could to clean up the room before I left. The second day I was there, she offered me a ride into town and asked if I needed anything. Unfortunately, a few people along the way mess it up for the rest of us. Maybe I saw more of this 'cause I was SOBO, so I was always coming in after the herd...Some people are always going to feel entitled and try to take advantage of it, the best anyone can do is treat people with respect and try to turn it around.

I have to think (following Fredmugs and Grand Poobah): aren't parents to blame for the "every kid wins a medal" syndrome? That everyone is better, more deserving, and more privileged than everyone else?
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    There's as many aholes on the trail as off the trail. It's just the way it goes. Man up and squash the reputation whenever you can. A lady in VT, I think it was Manchester Ctr or something like that, almost refused me a room in her hotel 'cause some NOBO's had trashed the place and were rude and disrespectful...apparently she had to call the cops and all this and that. So, I begged her for a room (it was a really LONG day), and ended up staying two nights. I always said please/thank you and did the best I could to clean up the room before I left. The second day I was there, she offered me a ride into town and asked if I needed anything. Unfortunately, a few people along the way mess it up for the rest of us. Maybe I saw more of this 'cause I was SOBO, so I was always coming in after the herd...Some people are always going to feel entitled and try to take advantage of it, the best anyone can do is treat people with respect and try to turn it around.
    This is all you can do. It's too bad though. You were probably apologizing for those who came before and that's not right.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I'll go even further and say that the difficulties of the Trail often turn even reasonable people into whining, carping A'holes. It's so HARD. I'm so HUNGRY. Everything HURTS. If only it were easier, I wouldn't be having such a hard time. I'm just plain ANGRY that it's so much harder than I expected.

When slapped in the face, and everywhere else, with the unexpected difficulty of this walk in the woods, we all can revert to our inner toddler. Some of us grow up. Some haven't yet. Some never will.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm paying attention to what is being said on this thread... I know I'll continue to "help out" the hikers I get to know through this site and other "word of mouth" communications. I read people fairly quickly. So far it's been a good experience for me. Lots of friends, on here, have warned me about hikers that have this issue. I don't want to be part of the problem, with these type of hikers, but part of the solution. I'm gaining knowledge. Hike On! Thanks to all who have shared on this thread!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 05-10-2013 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    That's so true- in fact, there's an older thruhiker here on WB who bitched and whined about the AMC and the tough trail conditions in the Whites and Maine. Seemed that this guy wanted nice flat all-dirt, not too hard, not too soft treadway so he could experience his kind of hiking. He still complains about how he hated the trail in those 2 states.
    Maine is the best. The trails, the views, the variety... it is incredible. Of course I have not hiked in the other states across the AT. I am encouraged every time I hear people say that that hiking in Maine is hard. If I am ever blessed with the opportunity to hike thru I know I will be prepared. A certain section between Grafton Notch and Gorham makes me a bit nervous, but the rest sounds manageable.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

The vast majority of hikers are great folks.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Poobah View Post
    I blame the parents. I found myself getting frustrated when people wouldn't pick me up from the trail and get to town. But that's all. The trail taught me humility. But last year I met 25+ NOBO's who were out thru hiking on unemployment and using their free Obama phone and food stamps to buy beer, tobacco, and weed. It sickened me. I'm glad I could work hard save money and pay taxes so they could continue to be lazy and have others support their trip.
    Hear, hear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The vast majority of hikers are great folks.
    +1 on this............

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    . I should also note that this phenomenon has not gone unnoticed certain members of our population. I have noticed greater and greater numbers of people on the margins of our society representing themselves as thru hikers in order to take advantage of this "rock star" status and the advantages it brings.
    I agree with this.as a general rule, most of the people who create the bad vibe/bad reputation for "thru hikers" really aren't thru hikers. Maybe some (or most) of them really are (in their minds) trying to thru-hike. This element gets weeded out for the most part between Neel's Gap and HF.as you say, it's easy to call yourself a thru hiker out there. unfortunately, most of these characters create the negative image imo.

I am sure others have similar stories but the year I hiked, there was a "thru hiker" hanging out in every trail town along the way. Hiawassee, Franklin, Erwin, Damascus, etc. Oddly enough, no one could recall seeing him on the trail or signed in at the shelter registers. Lost track of the guty in central Va. - guess he ran out of money. The good news is - when he got back home, his boots were still in great condition after "500 + miles on the AT."

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++