WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Entitled Hikers

My grandpa was a God fearing man who when on the AT the only book he took was the bible and taught me the only entitlements we had on the trail was a peaceful walk in the woods with God

Entitled people, hence entitled hikers, are nothing new. They suck. We can analyze why it occurs...to death. So what. That doesn't change a darn thing. Having a sense of entitlement is disgusting and offensive.

However, I'm getting really annoyed with:
    1) all those hostels that expect me to give them a reasonable donation - they should give me a free stay

2) the inconsiderate hikers who expect me to take down my hammock or erected tent inside a shelter when I'm trying to hang or camp peacefully - they should just suck it up and sleep outside the shelter

3) those idiots who keep telling me I shouldn't leave my leftover garbage or uneaten food in the campfire ring. - don't they know it will all be burnt up by the next person lighting a campfire or the animals need to eat too? These are the same idiots that tell me I don't need to light a HUGE fire when I know everyone else always enjoys a HUGE bonfire on a hike, or not to cut down live trees for fuel when trees always grow back, or that I need to make sure that my fire is completely extinguished when I leave when it CERTAINLY does rain on the AT. Duh! .

4) those who complain about me writing and painting graffiti in the shelters - haven't they heard of my right to "FREE" artistic expression?

5) those who expect or ask me to do trail maintenance or construction - this is really offensive to me because there are an overwhelming number of paid people who do that. Besides they should know I have no education in this type of demeaning physical blue color labor.

6) the bitchy unreasonable biz people who complain when I strew my dirty smelly hiker clothes around the laundromat, stink up the restaurant, etc - they should realize I'm providing them with my dollars

7) that Standing Bear Hostel guy who complains when I don't pay for the food I took based "on paying on the honor system" - this really shouldn't be a big deal to him because how much could it possibly cost him when I take a few "FREE" Pop Tarts, energy and candy bars, and some Lipton Side Meals. Besides he's insured, I think. He charges way too much, $10 a night, anyhow! What does he expect when he bases goods and services paying on the honor system anyhow? I just did what anyone else would do! He also didn't immediately grant me all my desires when I decided to graciously stop by his place. I don't recommend his place. Same with those religious cult nuts up in Rutland VT. Stay away from them too.

8) those hoity toity AMC idiots who expect me to pay or perhaps do a work for stay to go through the White Mts. I really don't care that they have a lot invested in the amenities there. This is a "FREE" country so I should have a right to go where I want, take what I want, and do what - they should just suck it up and provide some grub and a roof over my head when I'm hiking. The Gov't pays them for those amenities and besides they too overcharge anyhow.

9) those that mention it would be legally difficult to obtain all the licenses to hunt, fish, or carry my concealed firearm on an entire AT thru-hike - there's way too much legislation in this country therefore I'm going to avoid the parts of it I think are overly burdensome to me. The AT is a dangerous place anyhow, A man needs to protect himself in the wilderness!

10) all those hikers who don't hike like me - this really annoys me because these ignorant hikers obviously haven't found out that my way is the BEST way
    Entitled hikers suck! They don't belong in my world!

Nicely said, Dogwood.....

The entitlement issue....as someome who has been working with youth for 20 years.... I can say that it just gets worth. (Please realize, not all are this way!). I blame it on a generation of parents.

Today's children are being raised by people who had parents who were raised by depression era people. Example: As a 47 year old, my grandma went through the depression. She was VERy frugal and passed that on to my mom. My mom told me to be frugal about some things - but spend on other things. Well, many people my age/younger feel they do not need to be frugal - in fact - they need to give it all to their kids.... yeah...don't I hear it all the time from my kids about how the others get more than they do. .... TOO BAD!!!

Images

I've met a lot more people in real life who feel entitled than I did on the trail. You just stick out a little more when you're thru hiking. People with entitlement issues tend to suck on or off the trail.

Images

Yesterday I was coming down to Swatara Gap when I caught a whiff of entitlement in the air. Sure enough, there sat two young thru's with their thumbs out looking to hitch a ride into Lickdale. I slowed down enough to let them get a little excitment, then smiled as I flipped them the bird and continued on. It was a beautiful day

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I've met a lot more people in real life who feel entitled than I did on the trail. You just stick out a little more when you're thru hiking. People with entitlement issues tend to suck on or off the trail.
    Agreed 100%, most people I've met while hiking are great, which really makes it stand out when I meet the occasional jackwagon on the trail.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I find it so, ummm, amusing when entitled Americans talk about anyone else including hikers, other Americans, etc having a sense of entitlement.

Hard to look at a person's actions separate from their beliefs and thoughts. They are connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Dog Virus View Post
    Yesterday I was coming down to Swatara Gap when I caught a whiff of entitlement in the air. Sure enough, there sat two young thru's with their thumbs out looking to hitch a ride into Lickdale. I slowed down enough to let them get a little excitment, then smiled as I flipped them the bird and continued on. It was a beautiful day
    Ok, you really need to post that here and ask for forgiveness
    https://www.facebook.com/HikerTrashConfessions

They should have wiped those conceded grins off their thru-hiker pusses and put a lonely lost puppy dog look on their faces when they want a ride. Helps to limp a bit too.

I think you would have been even more satisfied if you told them why you weren't going to give them a ride after stopping. It can be discouraging when you think someone is stopping to give you a ride, especially if you've been hitching for a while, and then you suddenly are getting an earfullllll of a Dr Phil or DR Nasty Dog Virus pep talk.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Ok, you really need to post that here and ask for forgiveness
    https://www.facebook.com/HikerTrashConfessions
    You'll have to do that for me. I'm not on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    They should have wiped those conceded grins off their thru-hiker pusses and put a lonely lost puppy dog look on their faces when they want a ride. Helps to limp a bit too.

I think you would have been even more satisfied if you told them why you weren't going to give them a ride after stopping. It can be discouraging when you think someone is stopping to give you a ride, especially if you've been hitching for a while, and then you suddenly are getting an earfullllll of a Dr Phil or DR Nasty Dog Virus pep talk.
    Ha. I think you're right, Dogwood! Next time

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    Been reading occasionally about Thru- Hikers with sense of "entitlement." In many cases it sounds to me like most of these hikers are simply a little young. Still in that "the world owes me this hike" sort of phase. Granted I'm sure you see this in older hikers occasionally but the hikers who fit the bill in my opinion have just needed a few years on them. Doesn't make it right of course. Any suggestions we could pass along?
    Yes I have a suggestion! I say we set up spanking stations the first 500 miles of the trail on each terminus so when we have one who feels they are entitled then we bust their butt.....that will get them in line......

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Dog Virus View Post
    You'll have to do that for me. I'm not on Facebook.

Sorry Dog, not on Face book either...but there's a link there that allows you to post "Hiker Confessions" anomalously through "Survey Monkey"

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H7JYXPZ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Yes I have a suggestion! I say we set up spanking stations the first 500 miles of the trail on each terminus so when we have one who feels they are entitled then we bust their butt.....that will get them in line......
    Great. Now we'll get all SORTS of weirdos - "What?? I can get spanked on the AT for FREE??? Just for acting like I normally do???"

I mean, different weirdos than are usually seen on the AT.

Just sayin'.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Great. Now we'll get all SORTS of weirdos - "What?? I can get spanked on the AT for FREE??? Just for acting like I normally do???"

I mean, different weirdos than are usually seen on the AT.

Just sayin'.
    my weirdness comes from Lone Wolf......been living around him way too long....

Journal Entries

I work in the hospitality industry and I live and work just outside of a National Park. I encounter entitlement almost on a daily basis. People who arrive here have questions about what activities and such are available. The odd thing about this area is that no one has a numbered address, business or residential. We all have PO Boxes. A couple of questions really stand out the most. 1.) Either over the phone or email I am asked, "What is your address so I can put it in my GPS?" and "Do you have cell service there?" They don't particularly enjoy my answer to either question. And that's when I get the response of, "Well, how am I supposed to find you if you don't have a numbered address?" as well as, "I have AT&T". Yes well, again, that doesn't change my answer of five seconds ago, you need to refer to your provider.

I don't know if it's just U.S. citizens that think that if they don't get cell service it's an injustice somehow or if it's just everywhere. And then to have to refer to a map is absolutely below them. I am wondering if I will encounter that on the AT. I hope not.

Images

you will. .

Images

Makes you wonder how we even survived and found stuff in the old days since we didn't have cell phones or gps devices. We must have been a lot smarter back then.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Makes you wonder how we even survived and found stuff in the old days since we didn't have cell phones or gps devices. We must have been a lot smarter back then.
    Nah. Darwin played a LARGE role in those situations.

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. … It is a good rifle and killed the bear that killed me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Any body regardless of age spends a few months on the AT or any other trail, will start to feel they are entitled to few free things from time to time, in my oppinion it's all the free Trail magic that gives people this ENTITLEMENT ATTITUDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I work in the hospitality industry and I live and work just outside of a National Park. I encounter entitlement almost on a daily basis. People who arrive here have questions about what activities and such are available. The odd thing about this area is that no one has a numbered address, business or residential. We all have PO Boxes. A couple of questions really stand out the most. 1.) Either over the phone or email I am asked, "What is your address so I can put it in my GPS?" and "Do you have cell service there?" They don't particularly enjoy my answer to either question. And that's when I get the response of, "Well, how am I supposed to find you if you don't have a numbered address?" as well as, "I have AT&T". Yes well, again, that doesn't change my answer of five seconds ago, you need to refer to your provider.

I don't know if it's just U.S. citizens that think that if they don't get cell service it's an injustice somehow or if it's just everywhere. And then to have to refer to a map is absolutely below them. I am wondering if I will encounter that on the AT. I hope not.
    YES YOU WILL, all the time.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++